07-16-12 10:38 AM
46 12
tools
    I see that Spacelings has an upgrade to Version 2.1 which runs at 42 megs. The original game ran at 16 megs. There is an upgrade price now at .99 cents.

Has anyone upgraded the game? If so, what are the differences or additions?

Oh, and I really dislike paying for an upgrade after I already bought the game.

Edit: I have read what the developer posted about the changes and enhancements that have been made to the game. Clearly, this is much more than a simple upgrade.
    Last edited by Darlaten; 07-10-12 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Response from developer
    07-09-12 10:07 AM
    You're not the only one....
    07-09-12 11:25 AM

Oh, and I really dislike paying for an upgrade after I already bought the game.
    I thought the same but I can't find the receipt for it so maybe it was free. I don't remember and I thought I saved all my receipts.

I'd be happy to pay for the upgrade if someone can verify it was originally free. It's a great game. I won't pay for an upgrade if I already paid, though, just on principle.
    07-09-12 11:28 AM
    I thought the same but I can't find the receipt for it so maybe it was free. I don't remember and I thought I saved all my receipts.

I'd be happy to pay for the upgrade if someone can verify it was originally free. It's a great game. I won't pay for an upgrade if I already paid, though, just on principle.
    The original game cost $1.99.
    castleruins likes this.
    07-09-12 12:06 PM
    From a developer point of view that's not "morally wrong" by any means.

PS. Developers can choose to charge a fee for an upgrade via the BlackBerry Vendor Portal.
    07-09-12 12:06 PM
    From a developer point of view that's not "morally wrong" by any means.

PS. Developers can choose to charge a fee for an upgrade via the BlackBerry Vendor Portal.
    Your right, it's not "morally wrong" although I suspect that man people would call it "questionable". Having said that, I really wish developers, when releasing an upgrade - particularly if there is a cost associated with upgrading - would actually tell us what the upgrade does, i.e., more levels? different game modes? improvement to control scheme? social networking? Developers are like sales people in some respect; if your going to upgrade your product and expect people to pay for the upgrade, then they need to convince people why they should fork over more money.
    07-09-12 12:17 PM
    I paid for the app once. I'm not going to pay twice. I haven't even played the game in months anyway.
    07-09-12 04:09 PM
    What are you guys? Communists? This is just plain oldfashion capitalism. You know, charge what the market will bear. What does morality have to do with this? ;-) Let the buyer beware........ Ivory backscrathers aren't cheap.....
    Last edited by sjc1963; 07-09-12 at 04:38 PM.
    07-09-12 04:33 PM
    This just blows my mind. You pay 2$ for an app. The dev sees that people loved the app and decides to double the content and charge 1$ for said new content and people complain(I never hear you guys complain about dlc). Had the dev released this as a standalone app no one would care and people would praise the new stuff.

Really people? This only hurts dev/consumer relations and ultimatly pushes devs away from our platform. Do you want playbook game ending up like android games where devs have to shove constant adverts in your face just to make a buck?
    Last edited by Philldoe; 07-09-12 at 04:37 PM.
    Spacelings@hotgen likes this.
    07-09-12 04:35 PM
    I don't mind paying for an upgrade IF it brings significatly more content and functionality to the app, and also to compensate the developer for significant effort on his part. The exception being bug fixes and maintance (to support RIM's OS upgrading for example). I have a PB app myself and right now it's free, BUT I plan to bring some added functionality to it in the future and this includes some key new features and I plan to charge a small fee for this upgrade which I do not think is unreasonable. Give the guy a break!
    07-09-12 04:49 PM
    Your right, it's not "morally wrong" although I suspect that man people would call it "questionable". Having said that, I really wish developers, when releasing an upgrade - particularly if there is a cost associated with upgrading - would actually tell us what the upgrade does, i.e., more levels? different game modes? improvement to control scheme? social networking? Developers are like sales people in some respect; if your going to upgrade your product and expect people to pay for the upgrade, then they need to convince people why they should fork over more money.
    As a HTML5/Webworks developer just starting out I know what you mean. Heck even I get a bit irritated with RIM does OS updates simply because there's no "full" change log.

I still think the BlackBerry Vendor Portal needs quite a bit of work. Forcing vendors to write a change log for every new release would be a nice addition. Even if all the update does was make the app compatible with a new version of the OS (Like Gameloft/BB Apps has done with Modern Combat 2 HD etc. for a while).
    07-09-12 05:00 PM
    PK will you still have the free version available or once you wipe you'll never get the free version back?
    07-09-12 05:05 PM
    This just blows my mind. You pay 2$ for an app. The dev sees that people loved the app and decides to double the content and charge 1$ for said new content and people complain(I never hear you guys complain about dlc). Had the dev released this as a standalone app no one would care and people would praise the new stuff.

Really people? This only hurts dev/consumer relations and ultimatly pushes devs away from our platform. Do you want playbook game ending up like android games where devs have to shove constant adverts in your face just to make a buck?
    Yeah, they should be grateful that he even updates it in the first place. Nothing in life is free... In fact they should pay an extra fee for every time they use it......
    07-09-12 05:28 PM
    Yeah, they should be grateful that he even updates it in the first place. Nothing in life is free... In fact they should pay an extra fee for every time they use it......
    Nice way to make a counter argument oh wait.. you didn't make one. Congrats, people like you are what is wrong with this forum.
    07-09-12 05:43 PM
    I don't mind paying for an upgrade IF it brings significatly more content and functionality to the app, and also to compensate the developer for significant effort on his part. The exception being bug fixes and maintance (to support RIM's OS upgrading for example). I have a PB app myself and right now it's free, BUT I play to bring some added functionality to it in the future and this includes some key new features and I plan to charge a small fee for this upgrade which I do not think is unreasonable. Give the guy a break!
    I dont have that much of a problem of paying for an upgrade IF it brings additional content and functionality. The problem I have is when there is no indication as to what has actually been changed to which warrants me having to pay an additional fee. The money is irrelevant - 1.00 is not a big a deal of course - but the principle is what matters. If your going to provide an upgrade; then tell me what is being upgraded otherwise I am not going to be forking out more money.
    07-09-12 06:58 PM
    ... If your going to provide an upgrade; then tell me what is being upgraded otherwise I am not going to be forking out more money.
    Now here is a legit reason to complain. And I can't agree more with you.
    07-09-12 07:26 PM
    Nice way to make a counter argument oh wait.. you didn't make one. Congrats, people like you are what is wrong with this forum.
    Maybe we should whip the ungrateful buggers? (I'm just following your lead. You're real a-hole.)
    07-09-12 08:36 PM
    If you want to promote good will with folks who already bought your product you don't charge them for an upgrade. Instead, increase the price of the product going forward to compensate your time and effort.

You risk losing sales on all your future apps because even if I pay for this upgrade I won't buy from you again. Why would I when I think I'll have to buy an upgrade again? I guess you have to decide if a buck or so is worth losing a customer.
    sagec likes this.
    07-09-12 09:17 PM
    PK will you still have the free version available or once you wipe you'll never get the free version back?
    Yes I will keep the free version.
    07-09-12 11:03 PM
    If your going to provide an upgrade; then tell me what is being upgraded otherwise I am not going to be forking out more money.

Hi,

I've not updated my apps in a few months so it could have changed but.....

When I upgraded my app's - the app portal does NOT allow you to add new text for the update at the same time, you have to fill out a ticket to update the text which goes to review the same as the update.

It's the most backward and developer unfriendly system you could have devised - I didn't believe it myself.

So possibly:
    The upgrade is out before the description,
    The description out before the upgrade,
    svzi and Spacelings@hotgen like this.
    07-10-12 04:31 AM
    Why can't every app/games on AppWorld have a change log? Is that even hard to do? Don't they have the list anyway? I appreciate this little things on IOS when I see those bulleted words even if just says "bug fixes". Not all devs are on CB, I appreciate those devs that post their change logs here. Don't get me wrong, but AppWorld needs a revamp and force devs to tell us what this damn upgrade is all about.
    07-10-12 08:28 AM
    IMHO if you're going to do a major upgrade then change the name to something like Spacelings 2.
    Right now I paid my dollar (march this year) for the original, somehow it (v1.2) got deleted and now I can't reinstall it without getting an error 0004. I suspect this has something to do with the upgrade fee??
    There's got to be a better way.
    07-10-12 01:13 PM
    Hello. I’m the designer of Spacelings and this is a genuinely heart-breaking thread.
    To let you know, this paid-for update to Spacelings is not a mere set of bug fixes and tweaks- it’s not just a few extra levels either. It’s the culmination of 5 months hard work based on comments and reviews over the last year as well as getting in all the features that we wanted to get into the first version but couldn’t afford to. (because, y’know, making games costs money)
    For some reason the App info wasn’t visible at the time the app went live but it can be read now at: Buy Spacelings - Download Spacelings - Buy Games from BlackBerry App World
    In case you can’t be bothered to go there here’s a very quick overview about what this upgrade contains.
    193 more levels (making a new total of 303 levels). 2 More environment graphics styles. 3 new Spaceling types, Teklings, Super Spacelings and Podlings- Teklings and Supers have special abilities. The Killbeam (awesome) and other new gameplay mechanics. An additional 38+ minutes of music with all existing music tracks remixed and extended plus an additional 7 tracks. 5 new enemy types: Dopelgangers, Dwarfstars, Burst Lasers, Masters and “the Lifeform”. An overarching story, missions and small game rewards for completists. Scoreloop integration with achievements and leaderboards. More tweaks to overall gameflow to allow quicker access to the meatier levels, the ability to lock your beam speed, fixes to physics and collision and many other graphical and sound enhancements.
    Seriously- this is well over twice the size of the original release and takes a good 13+ hours to play though (if you know what you’re doing) and all we are doing is charging a dollar to upgrade to help cover our costs.
    If you enjoyed Spacelings the first time around I can assure this is a worthwhile download.
    07-10-12 01:16 PM
    IMHO if you're going to do a major upgrade then change the name to something like Spacelings 2.
    Right now I paid my dollar (march this year) for the original, somehow it (v1.2) got deleted and now I can't reinstall it without getting an error 0004. I suspect this has something to do with the upgrade fee??
    There's got to be a better way.
    Sorry about this, I'll pass on your comment to our coders
    07-10-12 01:18 PM
    Mr. Or Ms Spacelings, is there any reason the older version can not be left alone and available to reload to those that purchased it but do not want to upgrade?

I may be wrong but I think that is the biggest issue.
    Spacelings@hotgen likes this.
    07-10-12 01:34 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD