• Bought!

9 36.00%
  • Whats Subsonic?

15 60.00%
  • I want a Orb app instead

1 4.00%
  • I was <insert another media streamer> app instead

0 0%
    Version 2.2.0: On AppWorld! Thank you for the feedback guys!

What is Subsonic: Subsonic is a program you install on your computer (Mac/Windows/Linux) that allows you to stream all your media (songs/videos) via a web interface, android phones, and now playbook apps. Web interface is free but video and phone/tablet access require you donate to the subsonic project and get API/Video access. Once you have donated to the project you also get a subsonic domain name that allows you to stream content anywhere as long as you have net access!

I have seen a few people mention Subsonic here so I downloaded it, used it and loved that I could watch my videos and listen to music over the network, but the Subsonic web interface is not finger friendly in the slightest so I present Air Sonic!

Buy Sonic Air - Download Sonic Air - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

Guide: SonicAir Setup Guide

Screenshots attached to thread - updated for version 2.

For those who don't want to leave crackberry:

Code:
    You will need API Access to Subsonic (you have to donate to the project to get API Access).

Air Sonic lets you:
    1. Listen to music
    2. Watch Videos
    3. Control Bitrate
    4. Cache Lists for offline use
    5. Create Playlists
    6. Play playlists
    7. Use quick list feature to create on the go playlists
    8. Download songs for offline use later

New Features in 2.0.2:
    1. Keeps playing audio in background
    2. Quick video playlist
    3. New UI!
    4. Search feature
    5. Scroll to by letter (Alphabet Jump)
    6. Categories
    7. Favorites

New features in 2.1.8 (14/10/2011):
    1. Shuffle music
    2. Repeat single song/entire list
    3. Remove items from now playing

Bug fixes 2.1.13 (17/10/2011)
    1. Buffer handling improved.
    2. Full screen bug after multiple videos fixed.

Bug fixes & Features 2.1.17 (27/10/2011)
    1. Plays music while device is sleep/screen off.
    2. When random is selected, the next function plays next random song, not next in list.

Features & Enhancements 2.2.0 (28/10/2011)
    1. Greatly increase the application "smooth" factor. You'll notice it feels snappy.
    2. Added Audio bit rate selection.

All over your Wifi/Bridge connection! True cloud based music with full control.

For information on SubSonic: http://www.subsonic.org

AirSonic is a the Flex implementation of the SubSonic API.
    Version 2.0.2 (See below for version 1):
    YouTube:

Vimeo:
    SonicAir - Vimeo

This is version 1:
    Speak peak - sorry about shaky recording - you may also want to turn up the sound:
    Last edited by nomi34; 10-27-11 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Adding guide
    KermEd and Bash_Man like this.
    08-24-11 08:41 AM
    Awesome!! I had tried subsonic a few months ago, and was hoping for a PB client. Been using VLCShares right now, but Im going to try this out later today.
    08-24-11 08:54 AM
    Just thought of one question I had, is it possible to seek in the videos? Im remember using the flash player and never being able to seek with subsonic (well a least through the drop down it was possible, so Id even be ok with that).
    08-24-11 09:20 AM
    You can seek in videos and audio

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 10:09 AM
    Fantastic! Can't wait to try this out.
    08-24-11 10:24 AM
    Hopefully you and a few hundred others

08-24-11 11:57 AM
    Is it possible to get a trail version too?
    08-24-11 04:29 PM
    Ok just tested it out. Love the app so far.

Couple small things hopefully you can fix.

1) 4:3 video stretch to full screen, they play fine in the subsonic flash player however.
    2) Once playing a video the bottom bar with seek and play/pause/ff/rw disappears. Perhaps it's just me and I dont know how to get it to display.
    3) Could you add an option for default bitrate for videos. I always want mine at a higher bitrate and it would be easier not to have to click and select the bitrate each time.

But seriously great app! If you'd like me to test a beta version please let me know.

Screen shots to show issues with 1 & 2. (Both vids are 4:3 and dont show the bottom bar)

snapperhead23 likes this.
    08-24-11 05:31 PM
    Hmmm - I tested this with 4:3 video - didn't happen. And yes the bottom bar is only visible when not in ful screen - was having issues with that, seemed like an ok compromise. Tap on video to go to fullscreen and tap again to go out of fullscreen to access the controls.

I will test with 4:3 again - could you put a clip of that somewhere? Just a few minutes so I can test it?

I can add default bitrate for sure

As for trial version - ill add a trial version with the next update. Haven't checked but hopefully app has sold enough for long term support so that I can add few new features I had planned.

08-24-11 05:52 PM
    Also you shouldn't see the bars etc in fullscreen - really weird, will check up and fix that ASAP.

08-24-11 05:54 PM
    Also you shouldn't see the bars etc in fullscreen - really weird, will check up and fix that ASAP.
    I dont think its actually full screen though, it would start to play and appear to be full screen but I think it's still windowed as I never tapped to make it go full screen. I'll upload a clip now. If that doesnt work Ill give you access to my server.
    08-24-11 06:07 PM
    I don't quite understand how this app works?

Can I stream a 4gb file (720p) .mkv video from my PC connected to the local network?
    08-24-11 06:08 PM
    I don't quite understand how this app works?

Can I stream a 4gb file (720p) .mkv video from my PC connected to the local network?
    Yes, you can stream anywhere, you dont have to be on a local network, just as long as you have an internet connection.
    08-24-11 06:17 PM
    Shao128 - i'm an *****....i think I implemented an API feature that doesn't exist in my version of the server - completely FORGOT i had implemented it and since it just got ingored....

Anyway could you PM me access to your server as I cannot update my subsonic installation to test this right away but I might be able to fix the bug in the next 10 minutes.
    08-24-11 06:21 PM
    Yes, you can stream anywhere, you dont have to be on a local network, just as long as you have an internet connection.
    Is it possible to stream high definition content? how does it handle it? Also, can u let it buffer some time before playing the movie?

Also, does it play .mkv?
    08-24-11 06:23 PM
    It will play MKVs but the issue is can your computer transcode it fast enough? I'll try on my computer and let you know - I know 1080p stutters like none other though.
    08-24-11 06:24 PM
    It will play MKVs but the issue is can your computer transcode it fast enough? I'll try on my computer and let you know - I know 1080p stutters like none other though.
    If it does play .mkv's and 720p, I'm definately buying the app! let me know thanks
    08-24-11 06:27 PM
    If it does play .mkv's and 720p, I'm definately buying the app! let me know thanks
    Ya plays fine for me. It really depends on your CPU because its transcoding on the fly. I have an AMD hexcore phenom II processor so it barely breaks a sweat
    08-24-11 06:38 PM
    Shao128 - i'm an *****....i think I implemented an API feature that doesn't exist in my version of the server - completely FORGOT i had implemented it and since it just got ingored....

Anyway could you PM me access to your server as I cannot update my subsonic installation to test this right away but I might be able to fix the bug in the next 10 minutes.

PM sent....
    08-24-11 06:39 PM
    Is it possible to stream high definition content? how does it handle it? Also, can u let it buffer some time before playing the movie?

Also, does it play .mkv?
    Can it? Yes - just tested with A Knight's Tale in 720P MKV - will it always? hard to say to be completely honest, too many determining factors:
    1. Connection Speed
    2. Subsonic server specs
    3. etc etc

Uploading a recording to youtube to show you. Will post again.
    08-24-11 07:04 PM
    First the 720P MKV Example:

Next up - 4:3 aspect ratio issue - that was a version to API mismatch error. Fixed - though I suspect a large enough video may give issue, I don't have a video to test.

Thanks Shao128 for lending me your server to find and fix the bug!
    08-24-11 07:35 PM
    First the 720P MKV Example:

Next up - 4:3 aspect ratio issue - that was a version to API mismatch error. Fixed - though I suspect a large enough video may give issue, I don't have a video to test.

Thanks Shao128 for lending me your server to find and fix the bug!
    thanks it looks awesome.. I just have a last question, does it need to go through ur server before arriving to my playbook even when using Local network streaming?
    08-24-11 07:58 PM
    No it never touches my server, you need to have subsonic and have donated to the subsonic project to get API access. Then it connects directly to your server/computer and goes from there.

Read up on what is subsonic here:
    Subsonic � Free Music Streamer
    08-24-11 08:01 PM
    Hey guys please do rate the app - hopefully a couple of goof reviews will get it sold more, was hoping for a few hundred app sales

Also it plays my anime! Never tested that before - going to not get started on my next app for a while it seems lol.
    08-24-11 08:18 PM
    trying to connect with playbook on lan and it doesnt work... I'm trying the http://localhost:4040/ and the connection fails..

I'm using a mac.
    08-24-11 09:11 PM
262 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD