Right well we're all set to edit and change so lets see how this pans out.
    10-21-11 03:06 PM
    I've also set

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...heets&hl=en_US

As the new URL forwarder to the new doc

and

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...V1Z0E6MQ#gid=0

As the new URL forwarder to the form submission
    10-21-11 03:08 PM
    I've also set

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...heets&hl=en_US

As the new URL forwarder to the new doc

and

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...V1Z0E6MQ#gid=0

As the new URL forwarder to the form submission

Its tough I don't know which one to update. I've updated the original google docs now to have the full ist and fixed hte damage from yesterday. Some files were missing links, so I rebuilt them and put them on my website.

But the original (Yesterdays) list is now up-to-date. Should we maybe take the same idea and create a gui submission form for the original or go with the new page? I like the layout, and colouring of the old one (Easy to tell if the package is compatible, who made it, etc). Thoughts?
    10-21-11 03:19 PM
    Whew, alright guys. I've mirrored the data in the two files. Both are up-to-date.
    10-21-11 04:05 PM
    This is fantastic, thanks.
    hasanj4 likes this.
    10-21-11 05:04 PM
    1) Google Docs has fantastic history restoration, which is why I was able to get the list back to it's former glory on the original doc so quickly. Backups are definitely good when relying on the cloud, but, I'm just saying.

Code:
    File >> See Revision History
    2) I'd recommend clearing/wiping out the original list completely saying "This list has moved", and provide the 2 links; then lock it down.

3) Regretfully, I haven't found a way to update the status or entry. When you try to edit anything under the "status" column, you'll get a warning saying that it won't work and will break it. Anyone that wants to change whether something has been tested and works/fails, they'd have to resubmit. That's why, thankfully, the form timestamps when the submissions come in.

The data is uneditable because this is supposed to be a data-capture system, not an editable database. For that, we'd have to probably throw together something like a drupal site or a wiki. BUT, if any of you want to check Google Docs Help to see if I'm wrong, give it a go. If you want to go wiki, I can definitely install a mediawiki on my hosting; but tomorrow is DrupalCamp here in South Florida, so I could only install it, not set it up.

4) I think that I should go into my initial post, strikethrough all the links, or remove them, and simply redirect everyone to those 2 links.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Input? Anyone?

BTW- I mentioned this in another thread, and wanted to get your opinion.

iPhone has the iPhoneDev Team. I think we should be the CBB Team (crack blackberry). Or, we could probably 'borrow' rimpire' from Kevin if he'll let us.
    KermEd likes this.
    10-21-11 05:30 PM
    I'm lovin the new direction. You got my support on all your questions above.
    technomensch likes this.
    10-21-11 06:09 PM
    I'm lovin the new direction. You got my support on all your questions above.
    Awesome, thanks. I just wiped out https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...heets&hl=en_US and directed any visitors to the new docs. Google Docs was made for stuff like this.

But which name do you prefer, or do you have another suggestions?

The CBB Team, or if Kevin let's us have it, 'RIMpire' ??
    10-21-11 06:52 PM
    Im all for whatever people want to do, however if we're going to change from Google Docs and start a wiki we should do it now and not X amount of months down the line when there's twenty times more data to import.

Do you want me to slap an Amazon EC2 instance up and put Media Wiki on it ?

I can have it up within a few hours from now if thats the direction we want to go.
    10-21-11 08:05 PM
    Im all for whatever people want to do, however if we're going to change from Google Docs and start a wiki we should do it now and not X amount of months down the line when there's twenty times more data to import.

Do you want me to slap an Amazon EC2 instance up and put Media Wiki on it ?

I can have it up within a few hours from now if thats the direction we want to go.
    In my Thank you post, I asked Kevin if we should/could set up wiki.crackberry.com.

If you've got an EC2 instance, I guess it couldn't hurt, just to be on the safe-side.

We could keep the forum to communicate w/ the Crackberry Community and use the wiki for us. (Though I'm more of a Wiki Admin)

I've been playing around with the Semantic Enterprise Wiki which is a skin to go onto of MediaWiki.

It definitely has some potential if we go that route.

It's a thought.

We don't want to get stuck with devices like the TouchPad.

I don't suppose we could include a project to port the Kindle Fire OS to the Playbook too? If that's even possible. I guess that'd be part of the discussion.
    10-21-11 08:27 PM
    I'm up for whatever,

I've bought and pointed ???.com to the server now, but I'd be happier being a subdomain on CrackBerry, but whatever floats Kevin's boat.

If anyone wants to do any of the configuring over the server and installation hit me up, otherwise I'll just get on with it.
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 10-22-11 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Edited to remove confusion
    10-21-11 09:00 PM
    If anyone wants to start throwing stuff onto the Wiki it's @

Anyone should be able to edit after they've created an account, and if anyone wants to throw up a logo and suggest features that would be lacking I'm all ears.

Main goal would be to move this under the cb domain if Kevin wants to go there if not we'll just use that domain for now as it was all i could think of.

Will permit bar files uploads too so they can be stored there and apk. See where it goes.
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 10-22-11 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Domain name in constant change lol
    10-21-11 10:24 PM

www.blackberryopensource.com

Anyone should be able to edit after they've created an account, and if anyone wants to throw up a logo and suggest features that would be lacking I'm all ears.

Main goal would be to move this under the cb domain if Kevin wants to go there if not we'll just use that domain for now as it was all i could think of.

Will permit bar files uploads too so they can be stored there and apk. See where it goes.
    I'm up for it I can script the doc to import to the wiki if you want. Estimate about 15 mins.
    10-21-11 10:54 PM
    Sent you a PM

Basically I've wiped the XAMP install so we can put whatever we want on the box properly.

Didn't just wanna to do a quick shoddy install and have it come back to bite us later.

I'm up for whatever if someone wants to install the stuff on the box and set it up that would be better as its not really my day job.

I'll await further instructions, box is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter edition 64bit.

Blank slate waiting to go.
    10-21-11 11:14 PM
    does anyone know why the skype calling is not working(for me anyway) only option i have is chat, is microphone locked down too?
    10-21-11 11:42 PM
    Hi,

I get connection reset trying to access this site. Any thoughts?

www.blackberryopensource.com resolves to: 46.137.99.218, is this correct?

Thanks.

www.blackberryopensource.com

10-22-11 01:48 AM
    I think we might have our name.

In my Thank You thread :

BBXtream..........
    The BBXtreme Team ???

Thoughts???
    10-22-11 05:16 AM
    I'm all for that or any name.

just let me know although bbxtreme is taken but bbxteam isn't so I took the 2nd
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 10-22-11 at 10:36 AM.
    KermEd likes this.
    10-22-11 10:34 AM
    Sent you a PM

Basically I've wiped the XAMP install so we can put whatever we want on the box properly.

Didn't just wanna to do a quick shoddy install and have it come back to bite us later.

I'm up for whatever if someone wants to install the stuff on the box and set it up that would be better as its not really my day job.

I'll await further instructions, box is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter edition 64bit.

Blank slate waiting to go.
    My two recommendations are either:

- MediaWiki
    - Joomla

Just so we keep the front end editing easy enough that we can do it quickly and get public submits. I think wiki might be better between the two? Because we can start to detail what RIM has blocked in the OS.

Edit: I'm going to go drag through the forum posts and add any missing links to our current docs.

Edit x2: I can also change up my server (www.filearchivehaven.com) to have a public upload FTP so we can start to bypass companies like megauploader if needed. But I might need to build a GUI cuz I don't think many new users will know how to upload via FTP.
    Last edited by KermEd; 10-22-11 at 02:18 PM.
    technomensch likes this.
    10-22-11 02:16 PM
    Update: The forms now up-to-date. All the entries have been updated.

The good news, I pruned 10 entries. Because they were requests that we have handled via the APK requests form! Which means, we are getting some success with it!

I'm going to knock out some of the pending requests with APK's in the list

Question: I've been rejecting the conversion of Paid apps - thoughts?

Edit: I rejected ~ 4 items, Converted ~ 6 or so items. Our backlog with APK's provided is now caught up
    Last edited by KermEd; 10-22-11 at 03:51 PM.
    technomensch likes this.
    10-22-11 02:59 PM
    Good progress !

How simple will this be to convert over to the website ?
    technomensch likes this.
    10-22-11 09:36 PM
    Good progress !

How simple will this be to convert over to the website ?
    Less than 15minutes.

At work I run a mediawiki. To make my life easier, I put together a converter that converts CSV and XLS files to Wiki tables. Literally just a quick macro then a copy/paste

So right now everything is up and running. Just having some final hiccups with the email setup and I think the server is ready for modifying?
    10-23-11 01:44 AM
    Okay,

I got as far as I can with that server. Unfortunately, I can't get the email server to work. But the front end (Joomla) And backend (MediaWiki) seems to be working nicely.
    10-23-11 02:32 AM
    Final notes before closing for the day:

Converted APKs - BBXTeam Wiki

There is the running list. I'm sure we can do better (templates) but it shows a quick xls conversion.
    10-23-11 02:50 AM
    Awesome work you have all done!! RIM should hire you guys/gals, lol

You've got more work done in a few days then RIM has done in 6-7 months, IMO
    Marcel38 and KermEd like this.
    10-23-11 03:57 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD