If you look in the App & Games forum for the fantasy football thread the company who created the demo for that responded there on what happened with a full version.

Basically they said RIM hired companies to make the demos then never hired them to produce the real app. It is what it is unfortunately.

Now TAT is owned by RIM but again they haven't done anything note worth to this point and probably won't in the near future. From what I could tell by videos at BB World they are busy writing APIs for developers to use.
    zerochances likes this.
    07-13-11 10:34 AM
    I just don't understand why they would exhibit seemingly usable applications only to withhold them from the public?

Yes they were good for demonstration purposes, but it seems like a waste to me.
    Actually, it seems like an unethical marketing strategy that borders on purposely misleading the consumers by offering something that, at least at this point, is looking less likely to materialize.

I put up there with showing a mockup of the App World with pictures of Skype and MSN during one of the press announcements for the Playbook where RIM failed to indicate that it was only a mockup thereby misleading consumers to thinking that MSN and Skype were available for the Playbook.

I really hope that some or all of the apps that have been seen by TAT materialize on the Playbook and will gladly retract my comments implying that this is misleading at best or unethical at worst in terms of advertising practices. But until I am able to actually use their apps on my playbook, this is nothing more in the long line of promising the sky in terms of function for the Playbook and delivering only dirt.
    07-13-11 10:42 AM
    Actually, it seems like an unethical marketing strategy that borders on purposely misleading the consumers by offering something that, at least at this point, is looking less likely to materialize.

I put up there with showing a mockup of the App World with pictures of Skype and MSN during one of the press announcements for the Playbook where RIM failed to indicate that it was only a mockup thereby misleading consumers to thinking that MSN and Skype were available for the Playbook.

I really hope that some or all of the apps that have been seen by TAT materialize on the Playbook and will gladly retract my comments implying that this is misleading at best or unethical at worst in terms of advertising practices. But until I am able to actually use their apps on my playbook, this is nothing more in the long line of promising the sky in terms of function for the Playbook and delivering only dirt.
    It is not unethical marketing, it is just marketing. Every demo they showed the playbook is capable of doing it.
    07-13-11 10:45 AM
    It is not unethical marketing, it is just marketing. Every demo they showed the playbook is capable of doing it.
    Being "capable" of doing it and being "able" to do it on the part of the consumer are two different things. I know that the Playbook is capable of doing significant things given the robustness of the technology that has been put into the device. That's one of the reasons why I bought one...well that and it wasn't an Apple product

But my comment is really more of "when will consumers be able to capitilize on the power of the Playbook?" The TAT apps, from the demos that have been shown, do utilize the power of the Playbook. And if that gets into the hands of the consumers, it can only be a good thing.
    07-13-11 10:55 AM
    Being "capable" of doing it and being "able" to do it on the part of the consumer are two different things. I know that the Playbook is capable of doing significant things given the robustness of the technology that has been put into the device. That's one of the reasons why I bought one...well that and it wasn't an Apple product

But my comment is really more of "when will consumers be able to capitilize on the power of the Playbook?" The TAT apps, from the demos that have been shown, do utilize the power of the Playbook. And if that gets into the hands of the consumers, it can only be a good thing.
    Oh I agree, I'm just sick of everyone mentioning TAT. They been the most useless acquisition for RIM to this point.
    07-13-11 10:58 AM
    Oh I agree, I'm just sick of everyone mentioning TAT. They been the most useless acquisition for RIM to this point.
    na that definitely goes to their acquisition of Dash......navigation software with turn directions.....they bought them over 2 years ago and we still havent gotten anything out of it.

no disrespect, but i would like to know your rationality behind calling them "the most useless acquisition" when everyone seems to think that TAT is of RIM's smarter purchases. just curious???

im sure TAT is doing much of the behind he scene work on the QNX software for handhelds, and possibly different software versions of the tablet OS
    07-13-11 11:19 AM
    na that definitely goes to their acquisition of Dash......navigation software with turn directions.....they bought them over 2 years ago and we still havent gotten anything out of it.

no disrespect, but i would like to know your rationality behind calling them "the most useless acquisition" when everyone seems to think that TAT is of RIM's smarter purchases. just curious???

im sure TAT is doing much of the behind he scene work on the QNX software for handhelds, and possibly different software versions of the tablet OS
    To this point what has TAT other than:
    a scrapbook app and demos that everyone loved.

Things TAT didn't do:
    TAT didn't write the UI
    No changes to the UI have been released at this point.
    Nothing from the demos shown has been released except the scrapbook app

They have done very little for everyone to keep saying well RIM has TAT so everything will be good.
    07-13-11 11:28 AM
    It's like watching a Mc Donald's commercial showing off the hot juicy perfectly made Big Mac and then going to the restaurant only to be dissapointed of what it actually looks/taste like.
    07-13-11 11:47 AM
    TAT was acquired after a majority of the Playbook's UI work was completed. When TAT came on board, it was stated that they would be responsible for reworking the UI. It was also stated that the UI would be changing significantly from what was delivered at launch.

As for TAT's apps, There were a few cool ones showcased at the show. The 3D looking app won't be released as written since it's all customization of the existing UI within the app. We won't see anything like it until the cool tools and widgets in the app are part of the UI in the OS.

The scapbook app is less than what was demonstrated at the conference also. I heard that the app was scaled back due to performance issues (incompleteness in the OS for their purposes).

No one has mentioned the Pictures app which was written by TAT. They're responsible for the overlaying effect when you swipe from one picture to the next.

They are responsible for taking over control of the UI from the original company (I forget their name) who RIM also acquired originally to do the Playbook UI. I think they're the ones who did most of the work for OS 6 as well.

TAT is still transitioning, working on the Playbook/QNX phone UIs, and developing apps. I'm sure that they are being told to finish the critial UI work before going on to apps. This makes sense since they will be deciding which new TAT UI components go into the OS. Once they're there, their apps themselves will be lighter and leaner.
    07-13-11 11:50 AM
    TAT was acquired after a majority of the Playbook's UI work was completed. When TAT came on board, it was stated that they would be responsible for reworking the UI. It was also stated that the UI would be changing significantly from what was delivered at launch.

As for TAT's apps, There were a few cool ones showcased at the show. The 3D looking app won't be released as written since it's all customization of the existing UI within the app. We won't see anything like it until the cool tools and widgets in the app are part of the UI in the OS.

The scapbook app is less than what was demonstrated at the conference also. I heard that the app was scaled back due to performance issues (incompleteness in the OS for their purposes).

No one has mentioned the Pictures app which was written by TAT. They're responsible for the overlaying effect when you swipe from one picture to the next.

They are responsible for taking over control of the UI from the original company (I forget their name) who RIM also acquired originally to do the Playbook UI. I think they're the ones who did most of the work for OS 6 as well.

TAT is still transitioning, working on the Playbook/QNX phone UIs, and developing apps. I'm sure that they are being told to finish the critial UI work before going on to apps. This makes sense since they will be deciding which new TAT UI components go into the OS. Once they're there, their apps themselves will be lighter and leaner.
    Thanks for the more detailed explanation than mine. Unfortunately, I'm starting to take an I'll believe when I see it.

Oh the UI company was Teknision and RIM did not purchase them just hired them to design the UI
    07-13-11 12:03 PM
    Basically they said RIM hired companies to make the demos then never hired them to produce the real app. It is what it is unfortunately.
    OK so they paid them to develop a demo, which should have laid the ground work for most of the app. Now shouldn't those companies simply put them in App World for a price to make more off of them? Is RIM supposed to pay them to put them into the app store?
    07-13-11 12:05 PM
    OK so they paid them to develop a demo, which should have laid the ground work for most of the app. Now shouldn't those companies simply put them in App World for a price to make more off of them? Is RIM supposed to pay them to put them into the app store?
    Just going by this it is an email that Vistate got from the company that did the demo. They wanted RIM to contract them instead of people purchasing through app world. Got me why they only wanted a one time payment, maybe they didn't think it would sell well but that is what happened. Also, I would think if they wanted RIM to contract them then it would be released in app world by RIM for free.

On 2011-06-19, at 10:10 PM, Tammie Helm wrote:

Hi Andrew,
    Thanks for your note. Blackberry asked us to create a demonstration application for the launch of the PlayBook and that's what Fantasy Football was -- just a demo app. We're hoping Blackberry will be willing to contract us to create the full production application soon as well! Send them a note!

Hope you're enjoying your PlayBook!

Tammie Helm | Director of Marketing
    Universal Mind
    [email protected]
    tammiehelm skype
    07-13-11 12:12 PM
    Other companies can't because the native software development kit isn't available until fall.
    07-13-11 12:13 PM
    Other companies can't because the native software development kit isn't available until fall.
    I don't care about that, these are apps that have been developed. RIM gave them money to develop them even if they were just for the demo's. So basically the company just wants RIM to pay them again to finish the app and I guess make it free instead of just charging $0.99 cents or more per purchase? I though the app development model was make a great app and people will buy it and you will make money.
    07-13-11 12:18 PM
    I'm not usually impressed by flashy graphical effects, but that is just amazing. Start showing that [better still, make it available] and people will be falling over themselves to buy a Playbook...
    07-13-11 12:31 PM
    TAT needs to get me some magical goodness on my PlayBook. The Scrapbook application is fine; however, I want more. Is that so hard?
    07-13-11 12:42 PM
    i hope they bring that media player to the playbook.....cause the current one sucks. freezes, lags, and im pretty sure u cant even delete songs off it...smh
    07-13-11 01:56 PM
    That's ridiculous. They can take their fantasy football app and shove it. Greedy!
    07-13-11 02:24 PM
    That's ridiculous. They can take their fantasy football app and shove it. Greedy!
    Yeah, screw fantasy - how about a Madden game on the PB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lnichols likes this.
    07-13-11 02:54 PM
    Hey least we know TAT has been busy adding Facebook integration to the scrapbook app the last couple months. Good Job guys
    07-13-11 02:58 PM
    Funny how this topic was resurected the day that TAT released an upgrade to the Scrapbook app.
    07-13-11 06:19 PM
    I don't care about that, these are apps that have been developed. RIM gave them money to develop them even if they were just for the demo's. So basically the company just wants RIM to pay them again to finish the app and I guess make it free instead of just charging $0.99 cents or more per purchase? I though the app development model was make a great app and people will buy it and you will make money.
    If RIM contracted them to make a Demo app, I suspect RIM holds the rights to that demo app. This company cant just go, finish the app and toss it in app world.
    07-13-11 11:12 PM
    Isn't TAT playing an integral part of the Native SDK?
    They're taking the code for those brilliant apps you've seen in the videos, putting them in the Native SDK, and empowering developers to use the same type of features in their apps. They're basically making it easier for developers to incorporate great features by having the code already there.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    07-13-11 11:39 PM
    They are doing something along those lines. But They should also throw some small apps our way to hold us till the NDK.
    07-14-11 12:52 AM
    I agree with the whole media player thing. If they had a demo of it to showcase the playbook and it was complete enough why wasn't it made available on release with the playbook. I was really looking forward to using it when i got my hands on the playbook only to be given a vanilla media player. These demo programs that draw so much attention really should be made available.
    07-14-11 01:21 AM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD