BlackBerry PlayBook Capabilities Amply Demonstrated by TAT

RIM recently acquired Swedish design firm The Astonishing Tribe, and for Mobile World Congress 2011, they were put to work demonstrating just how awesome the BlackBerry PlayBook could be. We got a look at three apps TAT had cooked up for a demonstration at the Texas Instruments booth (since the PlayBook runs on an OMAP 4430 dual-core 1 GHz processor from TI).

The first app made use of the tablet’s HDMI-out to project the user interface onto the big screen (managed by one of the processor cores) while the PlayBook itself showed a simple cursor (handled by the second core). The TV would display a 3D-enabled media viewer, so you could toss on the dorky glasses and look at some video and pictures that would really pop. You might notice some of the UI elements have been recycled from their joint project with Synaptics and a few others called Fuze. The second app is a scapbook that lets you resize, rotate, and assemble pictures with a variety of extra graphics (like thought balloons). Sharing options are built right in, so you can send your glorious creations off to Facebook. Finally, there was a multi-carrousel multimedia management app called Frontrunner that looked freakin’ sweet. Like the scrapbook, the app could handle multiple touch inputs at once without breaking a sweat – 60 FPS all the way.
    Yeah, there’s an established set of interface paradigms that the BlackBerry installed base are used to, and the PlayBook as is will be comfortably familiar to anyone who has used a webOS device, but now’s the time more than ever to squirt out something original, and it looks like TAT could do that in their sleep. I wouldn’t be exaggerating by saying that this got me the most excited out of everything I saw at MWC 2011.
    Last edited by barrist; 02-17-11 at 11:32 AM.
    02-17-11 10:35 AM
    I like these guys and I'm glad to see them working hard to get some demos up and running.

RIM has a good thing happening with these designers.
    02-17-11 10:50 AM
    Okay so they updated the post with videos.\

These apps look... AWESOME.
    Last edited by barrist; 02-17-11 at 12:55 PM.
    02-17-11 11:32 AM
    Speechless, I just love RIM tit, I mean tat.
    02-17-11 12:14 PM
    Here's the video link

Amazing.
    1812dave, barrist, sf49ers and 2 others like this.
    02-17-11 12:22 PM
    that video demo was most impressive.
    02-17-11 12:45 PM
    Okay so i pronounce TAT as the Gods of app creating. 1+ for RIM buying them
    02-17-11 12:51 PM
    I've been telling you guys that the PlayBook is awesome. I said in another thread, "QNX/PlayBook is where it's at". And it is. There isn't anything HW or SW wise to complain about. The point of one of the videos is that you can run HDMI out to one screen all while doing something completely different on the tablet itself. That's true multi-tasking, and it does it well. Again, QNX is inherently fast and is going to emerge as one of if not the best operating system on the market. It's made perfect to multi-task & use SMP(Symetric Multi-Processing). Just wait until TAT gets further integrated into the mix.

Also, when QNX comes to HH's(currently in testing) it's going to rock. There is a dedicated TAT team working on just the HH side of QNX. RIM is coming back and coming back strong....
    bighap, barrist, sf49ers and 7 others like this.
    02-17-11 01:47 PM
    I've been telling you guys that the PlayBook is awesome. I said in another thread, "QNX/PlayBook is where it's at". And it is. There isn't anything HW or SW wise to complain about. The point of one of the videos is that you can run HDMI out to one screen all while doing something completely different on the tablet itself. That's true multi-tasking, and it does it well. Again, QNX is inherently fast and is going to emerge as one of if not the best operating system on the market. Just wait until TAT gets further integrated into the mix.

Also, when QNX comes to HH's(currently in testing) it's going to rock. There is a dedicated TAT team working on just the HH side of QNX. RIM is coming back and coming back strong....
    I never thought otherwise :P man i'm glad RIM is on a rebound
    02-17-11 01:49 PM
    Wow, just WOW! That was amazing.

lmao at the comment about will it be on Apple in the middle of the vid.

NO CHANCE.
    02-17-11 02:02 PM
    I really hope RIM decides to incorporate some version of this media at launch. TAT did such an amazing job!
    02-17-11 02:22 PM

NO CHANCE.
    I also noticed that comment during the demo. Freakin' Apple fanatics can't go to sleep at night without praying to the Messiah, aka Steve (Herr) Jobs.
    02-17-11 02:42 PM
    lol, i can't watch with audio here. was that what the "RUDE" heading flashes on the screen?
    02-17-11 02:45 PM
    lol, i can't watch with audio here. was that what the "RUDE" heading flashes on the screen?
    no--that was a reference to a woman who was attempting to interrupt the demo.
    02-17-11 02:49 PM

NO CHANCE.
    He said Appworld not Apple :P

I thought he said Apple first too.
    02-17-11 02:51 PM
    I really hope RIM decides to incorporate some version of this media at launch. TAT did such an amazing job!
    I completely agree. The media player RIM has shown off so far has been pretty bland. The one TAT had their was awesome. Hopefully that'l show up on the playbook, if not at launch, as a software update later on.
    02-17-11 02:55 PM

I tried listening for a background comment about Apple because I heard AppWorld from the start. Now don't I feel stupid. :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-11 02:57 PM

I listened again. it's at 3:14. sounds like "appworld" this time.
    02-17-11 03:04 PM
    It's definitely appworld.

Anyone else of two minds regarding flashy UI's? Maybe there is a reason TAT's designs arn't built into the OS and are just demos to show off what the playbook can do - maybe those UI's themselves suck up most if not all of the resources, slowing down the rest of the system. Maybe a plainer UI is intentional on RIM's part. Maybe the idea is to take the resources that a fancy UI would suck up and instead make them available for actual programs and use....

02-17-11 03:08 PM

Ooops, my bad. Sorry.
    02-17-11 03:11 PM
    More likely is the fact that TAT joined the team late, probably why the current UI looks more OS6-ish than TAT. I'm not saying the entire UI will look crazy-3d like but frontrunner looks like something they could definitely incorporate into the core apps rather than the bland media app that's shown now.
    02-17-11 03:13 PM
    It's definitely appworld.

Anyone else of two minds regarding flashy UI's? Maybe there is a reason TAT's designs arn't built into the OS and are just demos to show off what the playbook can do - maybe those UI's themselves suck up most if not all of the resources, slowing down the rest of the system. Maybe a plainer UI is intentional on RIM's part. Maybe the idea is to take the resources that a fancy UI would suck up and instead make them available for actual programs and use....

i think you're right. it's so impressive ill pay (RIM don't read this) for those apps theyre awesome
    02-17-11 03:13 PM
    Barrist: Aye, that's likely part of it, but they've made it clear that the stuff they have made is only to demo the capabilities of the playbook and there are currently no plans to make them available.

02-17-11 03:18 PM
    But its obvious the reason they were acquired was for this type of UI stuff. If you look at the projects on their website, it's all this type of stuff.
    02-17-11 03:21 PM
    Oh, I completly agree. I'm not arguing with you at all. I'm just wondering if these designs are simply too resource heavy for the current playbook, considering RIM's constant hyping of multitaking capabilities. Might be a little harder to play need for speed, surf the web, work in excel, and watch a video if the UI was that fancy concave design. Would also explain why they keep stressing that these are demos to show off what the playbook is capable off, and are not currently planned for public consumption.

I'm sure we will see more of their influence in the future as they iron out the kinks and the phones/tablets get more powerful/once the novelty of having all those things open at once wears off.

02-17-11 03:31 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD