Thanks to Singlesculler...for confirming my suspicions at least in part.

The problem we are having is in the sync function when loading Kobo

Give an attaboy to Singlesculler for posting on this solution. THANK YOU!!!!

STEP BY STEP:

I did this with an empty PB Kobo library so you may need to delete Kobo if you have problems. Redownload from app world which gives you version 1.0. Next check for available updates to PB OS on your controlscreen. It should indicate an available update with current Kobo. Update. Then:

1) log into your Kobo account via your web browser on PC or Mac(?)

2) Find your way to the "I Am Reading" page in your account. (Bookmark Issue is discussed more later
    in this thread)

3) Select all of the books in this section and delete them. (This will only delete the bookmarks and not your purchased books.)

4) Now open your PB Kobo app. If you had books there they may well dissapear. However the spinning wheel should go away shortly.

5) Go to the Book Store in your PB Kobo app.

6) Navigate to your purchased books. I used the Purchased Books page in my account on PC browser as reference.

7) Becasue you already purchased this book the "Buy" button should display as "Download" button since these buttons are tied the purchased books list in your account.

8) Redownload your backs. PITA to have to due individually I know.

9) When you are done close the PB Kobo app.

10) If you have the PC/Mac desktop app launch it while you are online.

11) Your desktop should sync with what is on your PB.

12) Relaunch Kobo app.

With luck and a lot of screwing around on our part you should be up and running. (????)

PLEASE THANK simglesculler FOR THIS!

...I was so close but he/she(?) really is the one who made this possible. I simply had no clue where the bookmarks were actually being stored.
    Last edited by JaredPress; 11-15-11 at 08:36 PM.
    11-15-11 11:40 AM
    So far this solution has been stable for me. I have opened both my descktop and playbooks versions of Kobo....opened books closed them and relaunched the apps.

Hopefully this will stick...

I also went to Kobo on Facebook and posted this ...giving Singlesculler the credit.

If this works for you please go to facebook and post as well. If we beat them to at least a temp solution crackberry forum users should get the credit.

I dont have a landline and dont want to use up cell time if possible so if any of you find this a succesful fic and have a landline please call Kobo support and pass this on. It has been over a bloody week and a lot of users are suffering...maybe we should throw them all a bone
    11-15-11 12:12 PM
    Hi JaredPress... where do you 're-download' them? From the PlayBook? I deleted them all on my PC, then hit refresh and nothing happens. I was able to download a free book to test and it came down, however where do I find the books I've already purchased? Thanks in advance!
    11-15-11 12:25 PM
    Launch playbook Kobo and go to store. Find your book and the buy button should appear as a download button since buy/download is reflected in your purchase history.

What I did was log into my account in the browser...went to purchased page and used that as a reference while navigating to purchased books on the PB.

Download your books to Playbook and after that launch the PC Kobo app. It should sync up with what you have on the playbook.

Hope this works for you?

BTW Siglesculler originally posted in the "Kobo Problems???" thread. If this helps you guys zip over there and hit the the thank you button on that post. Well deserved and should be given the credit.
    eprklims likes this.
    11-15-11 12:42 PM
    This solution is working great for now. I have opened books on my PC desktop Kobo...synced...then opened them on the PB right to where they should open.

Apps stable....books sync.

Here is what I think the problem has been:

When you buy a book from kobo..or download one you have already purchased...the book is listed both on the purchased books page of your account as well as the I Am (currently) Reading page of your account.

If you open and close a book on your PB the app bookmarks your position before closing. So...

When you relaunch Kobo on the Playbook it logs onto your account at Kobo and attempts to sync the bookmarks in your books. This is how the app keeps books on desktop,,,phone...tablet...in sync.

Well if you purchase a book that gets downloaded...but not opened...it has no bookmark. When you open the app again and it tries to sync it goes to the I Am (Currently) Reading page of your account ...and gets confussed.

So Kobo...just because you bought a book doesnt mean you are reading the book. So it really should not be listed on the I Am (currently) Reading page of your account only in the Puchased Books page of your account.

Only when the book is actually opened and read should it appear with a bookmark in the I Am (cerrently) Reading page of your account.

I could be wrong of course but things working perfectly for me now so it might be worth looking into this.

I had been kicking this around...the idea that it was a book mark issue for a few days now. However I had no idea how to clear the stupid book marks. Deleting the app does clear the bookmarks on your account.

Singlesculler was the one who clued me itno how to clear the bookmarks.

Aren't Forums wonderful???

I called Kobo twice and passed my findings onto them. Their support staff are based in India I am sure. Took a little effort to get a clear translation.

Part of me feels that if their highly paid tech staff cant figure out the soution and get it to the support staff....screw em. But alot of us have been struggling with this issue also a lot of non PB users...figured they should be put out of their misery.

Also made it quite clear to both support personel that it was the Crackberry Forum users who came up with this and they really owerd it to us to stop by here and put in a word.

If any of you hear of them using this solution you should call them and remind them :
    11-15-11 02:06 PM
    This definitely seems to be working. Getting my books back one for one, but works... I did notice undeleting the books seems to have the same effect only... Looks like it's hanging on a few books?
    11-15-11 03:46 PM
    I did notice undeleting the books seems to have the same effect only... Looks like it's hanging on a few books?
    Hmm...not sure I follow about undeleting books? Are you talking about the "I Am Reading" page in your account when logged into your account on their website? Didnt notice that option?
    11-15-11 03:52 PM
    it is working!
    11-15-11 04:02 PM
    Hmm...not sure I follow about undeleting books? Are you talking about the "I Am Reading" page in your account when logged into your account on their website? Didnt notice that option?
    Yes it's on the "I'm reading page". If you remove all your books from there you can go to "Trash" and reselect the books... seems to be working too though I have one book that seems to have "mysteriously" been removed from the ebook library to be bought on their site. So my Kobo app on the PB keeps trying to refresh my list on just that one damn book. Weird thing is: the PC version of the app can still download the book, it's in my list of read books and I can get at the book info from there... But if I try and find the book on their site through the browser it's not there.
    Last edited by Gortoth666; 11-15-11 at 04:25 PM.
    11-15-11 04:22 PM
    But if I try and find the book on their site through the browser it's not there.
    Second time I have heard that today. A Clive Custler book.

Have you tried deleting just that book from your I Am Reading list? I mean if you can no longer access it in the book store perhaps the thing to do is remove it and then find the reciept in your email box and demand a refund.
    Last edited by JaredPress; 11-15-11 at 05:03 PM.
    11-15-11 04:57 PM
    Awesome! A community of users is far better than a corporate help desk. Thanks Jared!
    11-15-11 05:49 PM
    hey Jared - followed your instructions and deleted my books from the "i'm reading" tab, but when I open PB kobo app and go to the Store I don't see the "purchased books" tab. How do I navigate within that site?
    11-15-11 06:53 PM
    hey Jared - followed your instructions and deleted my books from the "i'm reading" tab, but when I open PB kobo app and go to the Store I don't see the "purchased books" tab. How do I navigate within that site?
    Type the name of the book you want in the search box. When it shows in the results list tap on it. When you get to the book's page the "Buy" button should have become a "Download" button.

Have to do every book one at a time as far as I can tell....real pain in the "a" but better than nothing.

I go to the Purchased Books page on the PC Browser in my account for a reference when searching for my books on Playbook
    11-15-11 07:07 PM
    Just checking.... Does this really have anything to do with the wifi and bluetooth being turned on like has been mentioned in some threads? I doesn't seem like it should matter but if I can get my books back I don't want to mess it up again!
    11-15-11 07:31 PM
    Just checking.... Does this really have anything to do with the wifi and bluetooth being turned on like has been mentioned in some threads? I doesn't seem like it should matter but if I can get my books back I don't want to mess it up again!
    I haven't had any problems with WiFi or Bluetooth being on.

Those issues were a result pf the bookmark confussion I believe. Once you complete the steps you should not have a problem.

If you are using the Deasktop application...PC for sure and probably Mac ...I would make sure to follow steps and sync the desktop app so there are no conflicts later.

This seems to work for folks here and facebook as well.
    GH440 likes this.
    11-15-11 07:47 PM
    I haven't purchased a new book since implementing this solution. But because of the way Kobo handles purchase and download of new books might be best if you open the new book advance to the introduction and close the book while online???

Heck I don't know for sure...but if some buys a new book after this fix...please let us know what happens and whether or not you opened the book immediately after purchase before closing Kobo (Going offline)
    11-15-11 07:52 PM
    Great work! I really missed my ereading life on the Playbook! I considered buying a dedicated ereader (maybe a Kindle, eh?) but it is back just in time. I had bought 6 books just before it disappeared.
    11-15-11 08:15 PM
    Great work! I really missed my ereading life on the Playbook! I considered buying a dedicated ereader (maybe a Kindle, eh?) but it is back just in time. I had bought 6 books just before it disappeared.
    You are more than welcome...be sure to give singlesculler a thumbs up. It was figuring out where the bookmarks were stored that finally did it. I got so close but that was the missing piece of the puzzle.

Yeah I too thought about buying a reader I was so frustrated
    11-15-11 08:27 PM
    Great thanks, it worked
    11-15-11 08:28 PM
    Thanks for solving the Kobo problem - your efforts are appreciated
    11-15-11 08:32 PM
    Hi,
    I follwed the instructions and everything seemed to work, all the books were on PB. The books synced on the PC. When I restarted Kobo app on PB, there is now a bunch of books that say waiting to download, and of course the spinning wheel. There were 2 books that I had purchased that wanted me to purchase them again, I just left them, do you think that they could be causing my problems?
    Thanks
    11-15-11 11:04 PM
    Hi,
    I follwed the instructions and everything seemed to work, all the books were on PB. The books synced on the PC. When I restarted Kobo app on PB, there is now a bunch of books that say waiting to download, and of course the spinning wheel. There were 2 books that I had purchased that wanted me to purchase them again, I just left them, do you think that they could be causing my problems?
    Thanks
    Hmmm...well first. I had one book do that to me when I relaunched PB Kobo but it downloaded and all was well so maybe waiting a while will solve that issue for you since you have multiple books. If the download bar is visible i think that is a good sign.

Dont know how many books you have but if a lot try downloading only a handful at a time. Also check your library and make sure each book if fully downloaded before going to the next one...maybe even open and close it first.

As for books that say you need to repurchase...yes I think I would stay away from them for the time being. I have heard of others having issues with purchased ...one was no longer available and one that was replaced by another version.

Wish I was more help...not even entirely sure we have a real fix here quite yet...sorry.

Let me know what happens and perhaps we can figured out the problem.
    Last edited by JaredPress; 11-15-11 at 11:41 PM.
    11-15-11 11:32 PM
    Hi
    I tried just downloading a few books, that seems to have worked. Hopefully Kobo will get their act together and get this fixed.
    Thanks again, great work (rim should give the experts on here a little cut of the profits!!)
    11-16-11 08:51 AM
    Hi
    I tried just downloading a few books, that seems to have worked. Hopefully Kobo will get their act together and get this fixed.
    Thanks again, great work (rim should give the experts on here a little cut of the profits!!)
    Cool...I would keep downloading more books. Seems there might be a bit of lag time involved. If it hangs altogether at some point delete the last group of downloads from the I Am Reading and see if it clears up in which case there be a book causing hang ups. (?)
    11-16-11 09:13 AM
    I can state that a book (books) can make this process a no go. I've bought the first Abarat book from Clive Barker just a few weeks ago. Now after this little outage and reinstalling of my library I find out now that the book has been deleted from their website.

It still shows up on the "I'm Reading" tab where clicking on it gives me the detailed info of the book. Removing this particular book from the list makes the syncing on the PlayBook complete.

My PC and laptop can both download this book just fine. As soon as my PlayBook tries to get this book into my library it goes into spinning wheel mode again.

I've asked the "great" people @Kobo by e-mail what's up with that and if they see a fix/refund for that particular book so that I can buy another version of it.... Which I don't really want to do because it actually matches the cover of the 2nd book that I bought.. But luckily, it's still not 24 hours ago... But I think it might take longer for them to give a reaction on my question.

I hope they fix this/get this straightened out so that, maybe, just maybe, they might be able to make some more money of me... I still love my Kindle DX tbh, but having to get a credit card only for that is a no go for me.... Amazon should give the option to use PayPal too. :'(
    11-16-11 09:55 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD