Hi Guys.... I have been looking at the developers website http://apps.burlock.org and he makes an interesting point about our playbook. I have copied it below but check the website for more details: -

"Good performance

I had a comment today from a Playbook user who remarked how fast the app runs, which is great to hear, especially since I was unable to test it.

One of the reasons why it would run quickly is that Solar Explorer isn’t really an Android port, it’s actually been recompiled into native code for the Playbook....... Another reason why it would be quick is that It’s been optimised to run on my Samsung Galaxy Tab which has pretty much the same hardware as the Playbook. I’ve been told by Stonetrip, the company that makes Shiva, that in their testing the Playbook significantly outperforms the Galaxy Tab, despite them being so similar. Part of the reason for this would probably be the Sasumg crap-ware that’s bundled into the Gingerbread Android ROM. It’s well known that the Galaxy S phone was unreasonably laggy despite having strong hardware, and the Galaxy Tab is just a Galaxy S phone with a 7″ screen"

The app looks superb too
    Last edited by tinker2000; 02-20-12 at 02:08 PM.
    02-19-12 06:00 AM
    I think I will have to get this app - my son will love it!
    02-19-12 07:23 AM
    I just played with it on my SGS II and am quite impressed. I think I'll purchase the HD one on the Playbook.
    02-19-12 10:58 AM
    thanks, its hard to find the neat apps without someone bringing it up...I spend lots of time browsing appworld but still it is hard to figure out what some apps will look like before I buy them!

thanks again - I need to get a cable to hook to my tv now..

wc
    02-19-12 01:36 PM
    this is a really lovely app. i recommend it as well. i think its cool how when you zoom out it shows orbits, and ive been having fun making cool sunsets and lens flares through saturns moons and rings. well done!
    02-19-12 11:14 PM
    Holy....!

Honestly, I wouldn't have half the brilliant apps my PB has if it wasn't for the CB forums! Trawling through the e-books and jigsaw puzzles is such a downer that I usually give up. Thanks for pointing this little gem out, just bought it now and am very pleased!
    02-19-12 11:58 PM
    Just read on the developer's blog that he will be submitting another app; Exoplanet Explorer, as soon as he is done testing it on the free PB he will receive for Solar Explorer. RIM, please hurry and get him his PB, we need more developers of his ilk creating apps for us!
    02-20-12 08:17 PM
    Needless to say, I like astronomy apps. I'm looking forward to downloading this app and having some fun with it.
    02-20-12 08:28 PM
    Needless to say, I like astronomy apps. I'm looking forward to downloading this app and having some fun with it.
    I use it as a kind of companion app to your excellent What's Up. They sit proudly side by side in my favourites panel and I've been showing them both off to everyone I can.
    02-20-12 08:34 PM
    I use it as a kind of companion app to your excellent What's Up. They sit proudly side by side in my favourites panel and I've been showing them both off to everyone I can.
    The ISS flew over Ottawa today straight overhead at 7pm and I missed it. Which made me think "gee I wish I had an app that would show me cool satellite and spaceship passes coming up, in a format like what's up so I could just point and look, or see what something is thats going over right now."

So yeah - just putting that out there to the universe. To the stars, if you will.
    02-20-12 08:48 PM
    I think that BB users have been starved for good astronomy apps for far too long - the majority of them don't know what they are missing.

The more augmented reality and virtual reality apps that arrive on the scene, the happier I will be. And I am sure that you share my enthusiasm that many Android developers will decide to port their apps using NDK (rather than taking the easy way out by just converting them). It proves what I've been saying all along - that RIM is doing all the right things to attract the very best developers to our favourite device.
    NinjaBread likes this.
    02-20-12 08:49 PM
    Purchased. This app is wonderful and my daughter is going to love it. Nothing better than a smooth as butter solar system application that is fun to use, very cool looking and educational to boot.
    02-20-12 11:27 PM
    Any video review or demo of this app? I am interested in it but would like to see it in action first.... Thx.
    02-21-12 12:16 AM
    just downloaded it, wow cool app! love it
    02-21-12 12:38 AM
    I just bought it based on this thread. What a cool app...definitely worth the price.
    dusdal likes this.
    02-21-12 12:54 AM
    I finally gave in and bought this app. And it is fantastic!! 5 Stars (or should I say 5 Sols?!)
    02-26-12 01:25 AM
    It is really good. Highly recommended
    02-26-12 03:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD