Is this possible? Would be totally awesome if so.
    04-29-12 03:43 AM
    Saturn will never happen it's the hardest system to emulate it's difficult to get it running decently even on PC's, you'd have better luck with literally every other console.
    04-29-12 03:50 AM
    Someone started porting Sega Saturn to Android in January.

This is what it looks like right now:

I'd wait a while on that...
    04-29-12 03:51 AM
    Saturn will never happen it's the hardest system to emulate it's difficult to get it running decently even on PC's, you'd have better luck with literally every other console.
    I could understand its difficult considering the only emulator I have been able to find for it that works with my system is Cassini, but it runs pretty near perfect on my PC and my PC is a frankenstein monster made out of like 5-12 year old parts. So I am pretty sure it could be done if it was possible, which is all I was wondering.
    04-29-12 03:54 AM
    Even the real thing was almost impossible for developers, so don't count on it.
    It would be easier to emulate the Sega Dreamcast, and the games are much better anyway.
    04-29-12 04:31 AM
    It would be easier to emulate the Sega Dreamcast, and the games are much better anyway.
    Dude.....Darius Gaiden. Dragon Force. Shining Force III. Guardian Heroes. Legend of Oasis. And the awesome 3 on 3 Dragon Ball Z game.
    04-29-12 04:35 AM
    Well: Shenmue 2, Soulcalibur, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, Grandia II, Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure 4, Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Grandia 2, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2...and the list goes on and on...

I don't deny there're good titles on the Saturn, but the Dreamcast is superior (obviously as it's a newer generation) and got far more games, thus more good games too.
    04-29-12 05:16 AM
    Well: Shenmue 2, Soulcalibur, Skies of Arcadia, Ikaruga, Grandia II, Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure 4, Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Grandia 2, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2...and the list goes on and on...

I don't deny there're good titles on the Saturn, but the Dreamcast is superior (obviously as it's a newer generation) and got far more games, thus more good games too.
    This is all opinion anyways. I agree to disagree on this one (Shenmue 2....really? Crap!). Anyways, what I wanted to know is if it was possible and what I am getting so far is that it is possible but really difficult and probably wont be done, and then crap about how dreamcast is superior. Who cares about Dreamcast I am asking about Saturn? So unless someone wants to volunteer to take it on (since I cant, I don't know how to do this stuff, which is why I asked instead of just figuring it out myself),I have my answer so I am done with this thread. Discuss amongst yourselves if you wish. Peace. Im out.
    04-29-12 05:29 AM
    It is possible but we're going to wait until someone gets it working on Android first.
    04-29-12 05:54 AM
    Yabause � Download they have Qt binaries for windows, so why not for PB ?
    04-29-12 07:17 AM
    Yabause � Download they have Qt binaries for windows, so why not for PB ?
    With emulators it's not just about recompiling the code.
    You need a dynamic recompiler that compiles to the native hardware's assembly code.
    For Windows, it recompiles the Sega Saturn's SuperH processor instructions to x86.
    For Playbook, it would need to do this to ARM.

To get maximum speed, this needs to be recompiled on-the-fly (or at run-time) from native SuperH -> native ARMv7+NEON code.

This is what is being worked on currently with the Android port (shown in my earlier post). We will wait for this to be done first.

"The Saturn had impressive hardware at the time of its release, but its design, with two CPUs and six other processors, made harnessing this power extremely difficult, for developers used to conventional programming."

If you want to monitor the progress of the ARMv7 dynarec for Sega Saturn: http://yabause.svn.sourceforge.net/v...c/sh2_dynarec/
    Last edited by xsacha; 04-29-12 at 09:21 AM.
    04-29-12 08:14 AM
    ^^^ I thought is was easy to port en emu. Seems that I am wrong
    04-29-12 10:57 AM
    With emulators it's not just about recompiling the code.
    You need a dynamic recompiler that compiles to the native hardware's assembly code.
    For Windows, it recompiles the Sega Saturn's SuperH processor instructions to x86.
    For Playbook, it would need to do this to ARM.

To get maximum speed, this needs to be recompiled on-the-fly (or at run-time) from native SuperH -> native ARMv7+NEON code.

This is what is being worked on currently with the Android port (shown in my earlier post). We will wait for this to be done first.

"The Saturn had impressive hardware at the time of its release, but its design, with two CPUs and six other processors, made harnessing this power extremely difficult, for developers used to conventional programming."

If you want to monitor the progress of the ARMv7 dynarec for Sega Saturn: SourceForge.net Repository - [yabause] Index of /trunk/yabause/src/sh2_dynarec
    Thanks xsacha that is the kind of answer I was looking for. Not just that its hard so why do it (one of the types of thinking that is destroying our collective societies) or dreamcast is better, but actually why its hard but possible.
    04-29-12 01:20 PM
    Don't be such a tool man, really... We don't need any lessons from you.
    This is a forum, and we are discussing things. Did I disrespect you in any way?
    04-29-12 01:39 PM
    Don't be such a tool man, really... We don't need any lessons from you.
    This is a forum, and we are discussing things. Did I disrespect you in any way?
    No you didn't disrespect me (originally, however now you have called me a tool, which is disrespectful and offensive, considering if you knew me you would know just how wrong that statement is) but the thread is not titled "Are Dreamcast games better than Saturn games?" so you got off topic, I didn't ask if Dreamcast games were better I just wanted to know if Saturn was possible, which it is just really hard apparently. So quit being a buster and go start your own thread about how dreamcast games are better and Saturn emulation is a waste of time and we can continue the discussion there but otherwise leave it be.
    04-29-12 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD