No wonder they offered new users $25 in credit for subscriptions. I got an e-mail today telling me that their terms of service are changing..which included 'continuous service'.

"All subscription orders will include "Continuous Service" which enables you to receive uninterrupted delivery of Publications until you cancel your subscriptions. You may cancel subscriptions at any time and receive a refund for any unserved issues (see Refund Policy below). With Continuous Service, after all issues of a Publication in your initial subscription period have been served, you will be billed automatically, at the end of your initial subscription period, for the next subscription period in accordance with the then-current offer terms applicable to that Publication as they appear on our Service. "

Now, I got free subscriptions to a few magazines from the $25 credit Zinio offered to new PB customers at that time. I have continous service switched off..this seems to say that it will automatically be on until or unless you cancel your subscription completely. The option of having it off ahead of time (like I do now) seems to be going away.

Are you guys getting the same thing from this?
    09-14-12 10:22 AM
    I dunno if it's going to be an issue for me, I just got those magazines as single issues. Didn't sign up on anything.
    09-14-12 10:28 AM
    thats good to know.

I really just wish the app was better. I have a ton of subscriptions I never read because the experience is kind of clunky.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-14-12 10:31 AM
    thanks for sharing. i didn't get that email.

anyone have magazines not appearing in the app anymore? i subscribed specifically to read on the PB and suddenly they aren't available for the PB anymore. National Geographic is one. others appear one month and not another then appear again with the missing issues MIA. -_-
    09-14-12 10:52 AM
    I got the email, and subscribed to a couple of mags using the credit they gave us. I don't think. however, that I ever gave them any credit card info, so I don't know how they'll hit me up with continuous service.
    09-14-12 11:07 AM

anyone have magazines not appearing in the app anymore? i subscribed specifically to read on the PB and suddenly they aren't available for the PB anymore. National Geographic is one. others appear one month and not another then appear again with the missing issues MIA. -_-
    I got 3 months of Nat Geo and no more have appeared on my playbook, but are on the account on the web.

Their support is utter crap and I have given up trying to get a human to resolve the issue. Very disappointed with their service. App was ok when it worked
    09-14-12 12:16 PM
    I am just pissed that my nat geo is not updating properly on the PlayBook but works on other devices...
    Kingkracker likes this.
    09-14-12 12:27 PM
    I took the time to contact them about Nat Geo when issues stopped appearing and they said the problem is that the embedded videos need to be converted for the device, or something like that. I asked if I could get the issues sans the videos and they said it wasn't possible. I'm disappointed, but the subscription was free with the credit they gave, so no loss on my part.

As for the continuous subscription, I think they've had that for any subscriptions you might have applied for, like Nat Geo.
    09-14-12 01:20 PM

Yes, PC World is no longer showing up, and PC Mag is a mixed bag, BUT usually eventually arrives. They both work fine on my Nexus 7 and ipod Touch zinio.
    09-14-12 01:35 PM
    I took the time to contact them about Nat Geo when issues stopped appearing and they said the problem is that the embedded videos need to be converted for the device, or something like that. I asked if I could get the issues sans the videos and they said it wasn't possible. I'm disappointed, but the subscription was free with the credit they gave, so no loss on my part.

As for the continuous subscription, I think they've had that for any subscriptions you might have applied for, like Nat Geo.
    Makes me wonder if it is manpower they lack or what. They need to convert embedded videos? Really? Really pisses me off that Nat Geo works on other devices and not the PB. Time to write a cranky letter.
    09-15-12 07:36 AM
    Makes me wonder if it is manpower they lack or what. They need to convert embedded videos? Really? Really pisses me off that Nat Geo works on other devices and not the PB. Time to write a cranky letter.

I think its because they never took the time to make this a true Playbook app. I think they just took the existing Android app and simply converted it to work on Playbook. The zooming and controls are glitchy. The help section of the app still contains Android information.

I just really wish they would make the app truly optimized for the Playbook.
    09-15-12 08:29 AM
    How do you cancel a subscription?
    Or, is there a way to notify zinio that i do not want my subscriptions to continue past the issues i have remaining?
    09-17-12 04:37 PM
    I don't think that is what the terms are saying. If you already selected that you want continuous service off, it will stay off. It is only saying that for new subscriptions, continuous service on will be the default.

As for nat geo and other delivery issues, I had the same issue but it was resolved recently. Not sure what happened, if it was their end or mine, but I have been receiving all of my magazines now.

It isn't an Android App. My guess is Adobe Air. Just because it says Android in the help screen doesn't mean it is a converted Android app. It means they didn't correctly update the help screen. Regardless, the app does need work. Navigating is a pain and the double tap to zoom doesn't zoom in far enough for me. It still requires a small zoom in, which is really annoying.
    09-17-12 04:47 PM
    Cool. Thanks.
    09-17-12 04:51 PM
    As far as I have seen, it has always defaulted to auto-continued subscriptions (at least with the paid subscriptions). I just go in through my web browser and make sure auto-subscription is turned off (except for one magazine that I know I want ro renew).
    09-17-12 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD