Something sweet is coming to PlayBook real soon...

bluetroll and robtanz like this.
    03-02-12 06:38 AM
    Files and Folders update?
    03-02-12 06:59 AM
    Hummm .. what this suppose to be ?
    03-02-12 07:26 AM
    Could you please give us a hint?
    03-02-12 07:38 AM
    Look good at it and you might have an idea!
    03-02-12 07:40 AM
    Sweet -> Sugarxxxx.
    03-02-12 08:00 AM
    Is sugarsync any good? i've never used it before
    03-02-12 08:04 AM
    I'd prefer native CIFS browsing and streaming - so I don't have to launch ES File Explorer every time I want to watch something on my WDTV Live.

Seriously, how hard would this be to add? Is it a matter of QNX lacking the necessary libraries vs. the Android runtime having them built in? Can QNX even connect to CIFS/Samba natively?

It has to be something missing that's blocking development, because I can't imagine that at least one intrepid developer wouldn't have stepped-up already to fill this gaping hole in PB file management.

RCK
    03-02-12 10:45 AM
    Most SMB libraries are licensed GPLv3, which means they are not suitable for use in commercial software.

CIFS/SMB is a complicated protocol. In fact, it's a complete mess. Even huge companies like Apple and Oracle have trouble getting it to work right.

Steaming from SMB makes it even more complicated. The app you are streaming to, such as the video or music player, needs to think it's just another file. So the SMB share has to be inserted into the file system. The PlayBooks security actively prevents 3rd party apps from mounting such things.

However, we are working on a possible solution for copying to/from a network share. Stay tuned.
    03-05-12 12:01 PM
    Most SMB libraries are licensed GPLv3, which means they are not suitable for use in commercial software.

CIFS/SMB is a complicated protocol. In fact, it's a complete mess. Even huge companies like Apple and Oracle have trouble getting it to work right.

Steaming from SMB makes it even more complicated. The app you are streaming to, such as the video or music player, needs to think it's just another file. So the SMB share has to be inserted into the file system. The PlayBooks security actively prevents 3rd party apps from mounting such things.

However, we are working on a possible solution for copying to/from a network share. Stay tuned.
    Oh boy, copying to/from a network share would be HUGE for me
    03-05-12 12:40 PM
    i don't get it, what is it?
    03-05-12 01:12 PM

So then why do most Android file managers support CIFS/SMB? Is the support already present in the base OS? Or are they all just rolling their own?

Note: Figuring out a way to pull this off under QNX will make you an instant hero and allow some of us to finally ditch estrongs, etc. You already have my $3, but I'm guessing you'll greatly expand your user base if you can deliver a working solution.

RCK
    03-05-12 01:30 PM
    So then why do most Android file managers support CIFS/SMB? Is the support already present in the base OS? Or are they all just rolling their own?
    Android apps are normally written in Java, and the Java library (JCIFS) has a different license (LGPLv2) which allows it to be used in commercial software.
    03-06-12 04:57 AM
    i don't get it, what is it?
    SugarSync ;-)
    stephaneldugas likes this.
    03-06-12 04:57 AM
    @Innovatology Is there a chance you could add ftp connection in the future?
    03-06-12 09:42 AM
    I purchased your app last night. REALLY great file management software. I love how it integrates into Box.
    Innovatology likes this.
    03-06-12 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD