Howdy,

Gain82 posted in the regular PB forum that they had found an app
    for sending SMS/Text via the PB.

The app is called SMS Bridge and so far, in my testing, does as it is advertised.
    This app is installed on your phone and not on the Playbook.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst.../45913?lang=en

I can send and receive text messages.

One sort of odd and slightly irritating thing is that when anyone calls or I call anyone
    it seems this app places an email on my phone/PB.

The other and some what concerning item is they list their website
    via BB App World as w-music.eu - w music Resources and Information. This website is for sale!

There is nothing there. Looks like a place holder for the domain.
    (shows how well RIM looks over these apps during the approval process)

I tried to use the "email support" in app world for this app and it does nothing.
    Could be a app world bug as I am running the beta and it doesn't seem to work
    with any other app either)
    I did find an email address on my PayPal purchase receipt. I have emailed them.

But it does work for me.

If you try it and post about your findings, please list what model number BB phone your using, if your BIS or BES and who the carrier is.
    The author says that it may not work on all phones and setups.

USCC
    BIS

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 08-10-11 at 04:27 PM.
    shawnmobile likes this.
    08-10-11 04:15 PM
    Tried this app for a week with no results. Worked closely with app developer and could not get to work with Torch and PB.

Anyone else get this to work???
    08-15-11 09:37 PM
    Guys, I bought this app, did not work at first. Developer has issues two updates with my help and works great, give a try.
    08-21-11 09:02 PM
    I am thinking about purchasing this app. I am hoping that anyone else using it will chime in ont this thread.
    08-22-11 09:45 AM
    this app rocks. its amazing. the only issue, and its a small one, is in your phone u will have an email for every text. since im on the playbook at the time doing everything no worries, just mark all as read and your good. this app and bridge its self are the reason i switched from ios when i bought my playbook.

im going to try playing with filters to eliminate the emails but i think the app needs them to do its magic. we will see.

but yea, great app. im using a playbook running latest OS2 beta, and a torch 9860 (soon to be a 9900).
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 12-18-11 at 08:47 PM.
    12-10-11 09:23 PM
    Running latest PB OS 1.08xxx and Bold 9900 with 7.1 OS and RROYY bridge and works great.
    12-11-11 05:46 AM
    God i dying for sms bridge... a feature that d**n sure ought to have been native to the OS by now.

I dont understand why the app dev made it EMAIL you with each sent text (!!!!) but i applaud the work. I may check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-11 08:36 AM
    Great app. I just installed it and it's working perfect. I guess the downfall is that you have to at some point delete the text messages manually from your phone. I hope Rim adds this natively, but for now this is a great alternative.

Fido.
    Bis.
    12-11-11 09:36 AM
    Since SMS is controlled by the Carrier RIM probably has trouble accessing it.
    Personally I'll just keep using Google Voice (which is FREE) which is connected to my Sprint number anyway.
    12-11-11 06:51 PM
    Anyone founds a similar app for 'Whatsapp'. That would really be useful!
    12-11-11 08:59 PM
    I have bought this app and love it. Works perfectly on my 9850.

Only "quirk" is that, while all texts are received and sent just fine, every now and then my yahoo email returns a failure ([email protected]) when i try to send a message tho the text is still converted and sent fine. I set up a filter to intercept mailer-daemon messages so at least i dont have to see them on the playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-11 06:28 PM
    is anyone using this with torch 9800 or is it only for os7?
    12-13-11 05:17 AM
    If you look at folks postings you will see folks with OS6 using it or look it up in App World.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    12-13-11 06:35 AM
    nice ... thanks!
    12-13-11 08:11 AM
    Installed it.

Had to close the app and restart it for it to work.
    Great find!
    12-13-11 02:55 PM
    I can't seem to find SMS Bridge on App World. Is it not available for OS5? I'm running a Storm 2 9550.
    12-18-11 04:03 PM
    I can't either - heard about it searched for it, can't find it.
    12-18-11 04:07 PM
    os6 and up sorry dudes.
    12-18-11 08:49 PM
    Question ... I don't have my PB yet (getting it for xmas) but I was just wondering, I know you can use BBM on the Playbook when it is bridged, and in my BBM (on my Bold) I have added Text Messaging Contacts ... will these contacts not show up in BBM on my playbook and/or can I not still send them Text Messages through BBM on the Playbook (without having this app)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by klarnold; 12-19-11 at 11:41 AM.
    12-19-11 11:01 AM
    Question ... I don't have my PB yet (getting it for xmas) but I was just wondering, I know you can use BBM on the Playbook when it is bridged, and in my BBM (on my Bold) I have added Text Messaging Contacts ... will these contacts not show up in BBM on my playbook and/or can I not still send them Text Messages through BBM on the Playbook (without having this app)?

Thanks!

That is correct any Text Messaging Contacts in BBM WILL NOT show up on the Playbook.
    swiftex likes this.
    12-19-11 12:16 PM
    I'm kinda ticked off here. I just paid the $4 for this app and tapped the "add @bb.sms contacts" button. It took a few minutes and added an email address to all my contacts using the format "[email protected]". Then I decided to test it by sending out a text message from my PB. I went into the bridge messages and opened a new message, selected one of my contact's .bb.sms address and sent out a one word message. Did that twice. Both generated an email from [email protected]erry stating:

The following message to <[email protected]> was undeliverable.
    The reason for the problem:
    5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up bb.sms (MX): NXDomain'

One of these contacts sent me a text message which came thru to my playbook exactly as advertised for receiving sms messages.

However, when I tried to reply, it didn't go through.

So it seems to me it is not possible to reply or create new text messages on the PB using sms-bridge. What am I missing?

Any comments/suggestions?
    01-01-12 02:17 PM
    I'm kinda ticked off here. I just paid the $4 for this app and tapped the "add @bb.sms contacts" button. It took a few minutes and added an email address to all my contacts using the format "[email protected]". Then I decided to test it by sending out a text message from my PB. I went into the bridge messages and opened a new message, selected one of my contact's .bb.sms address and sent out a one word message. Did that twice. Both generated an email from [email protected]erry stating:

One of these contacts sent me a text message which came thru to my playbook exactly as advertised for receiving sms messages.

So it seems to me it is not possible to reply or create new text messages on the PB using sms-bridge. What am I missing?

i never had an issue at all, i say uninstall, batt pull, reinstall, batt pull. but like i say i never had an issue. im running os 7 on a torch 98110

do you have any complex email filters on your main email account. could be getting in the way?
    01-01-12 03:04 PM
    Gonna check it out
    01-01-12 09:23 PM
    guys thanks as usual.. all amazin info etc however i know this may sound strange maybe even stupid but are there any issues regards network charges when the phone sends txts and email between itself and playbook? just a thought but could this be possible or am i worrying over nothing? cheers guys
    01-09-12 02:42 PM

The one thing I see that is missing is the + before the phone number. Also create your message inside of the body of the email not the subject line. You will see the message you are replying too in the subject line. In other words when creating a new sms simply type the + symbol in the address bar and you all the sms contacts will show up. Then write you message in the body and leave the subject empty.
    01-09-12 02:59 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD