as Android 2.3 applications will run on the PB 2.0 does that mean skype will run in skype using android ?

Just wondering?

what do you guys think about that?

Thanks
    julianrt likes this.
    02-16-12 11:08 PM
    Nope. RIM wont allow it to be approved for AppWorld.
    Wish they would tho
    02-16-12 11:13 PM
    I wish I understood so many peoples need for Skype. I have never used it in my life and haven't even used the PB Video Chat, despite having my device since launch day on April 19th 2011.

If it only runs on wifi, wouldn't one be at HOME near a laptop? Failing that you really wanna sit in a Starbucks chatting??

Sorry I realize having it would help sell some more devices, just never seen the need
    02-16-12 11:14 PM
    If you are 1000's of miles away from your family, children, grandchildren and want to see them grow and stay close to them on a regular basis. Trust me, you will want Skype more than any other bell or whistle on PB. This is a very BIG deal.
    02-16-12 11:22 PM
    If it only runs on wifi, wouldn't one be at HOME near a laptop? Failing that you really wanna sit in a Starbucks chatting??
    The reason I got a PlayBook was because I don't have a laptop. I'd still like to video chat with more freedom though.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    02-16-12 11:23 PM
    I wish I understood so many peoples need for Skype. I have never used it in my life and haven't even used the PB Video Chat, despite having my device since launch day on April 19th 2011.

Sorry I realize having it would help sell some more devices, just never seen the need
    if the playbook is a total productivity suite like the reps/marketing team at RIM has said, then why would i need a laptop?
    02-16-12 11:25 PM

If you have family/loved ones/relatives/friends in different parts of the world and being able to communicate with them is a great asset. An application like Skype allows for this human to human interaction which is free of cost. You can then see the person via video and hear them as well.

Yes if the device runs on WIFI but I have WIFI at school, at work and at home. Being able to open up Skype on my pb and communicate with friends and family would be amazing. I take my pb with me everywhere around the house, while my laptop just sits in my room.
    Moreover, you can't just assume everyone owns a laptop/desktop. Having convenience of when to use skype whenever you want shouldn't go overlooked!
    02-16-12 11:27 PM

I travel a lot and have young children. My firm blocks Skype on our laptops. I'm not going to carry two laptops. Skype on Playbook or phone is essential.
    sybrandyp likes this.
    02-16-12 11:32 PM

I don't understand why so many people need Tampax tampons. I have never used one in my life and haven't even used Always pads.
    02-16-12 11:38 PM
    I don't understand why so many people need Tampax tampons. I have never used one in my life and haven't even used Always pads.
    this. ^

i dont even need or have ever used skype, but, yeah, this.
    02-16-12 11:43 PM

Are you kidding !!!!! the playbook video app only works with other playbooks and my family and non of my friends have playbook if you have family as others have said in distant places skype is a god sent. And to use Skype like in a hotel with wifi is Awesome not everyone is always at home with there playbook some people have to travel for work ect......
    Last edited by dkjohn.; 02-16-12 at 11:48 PM.
    stevepar and h20work like this.
    02-16-12 11:44 PM
    if the playbook is a total productivity suite like the reps/marketing team at RIM has said, then why would i need a laptop?
    it'll be a long time before a tablet like the playbook, ipad, or any android tablet fully replaces a laptop.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-16-12 11:55 PM
    it'll be a long time before a tablet like the playbook, ipad, or any android tablet fully replaces a laptop.
    Very true you have to have one to use with tablets.
    02-16-12 11:58 PM
    Nope. RIM wont allow it to be approved for AppWorld.
    Wish they would tho
    Says who? Nonsense.

I believe Skype for Android simply doesn't work in the App Player. If it would AND Skype would submit their Android app through the regular channels I see no reason for RIM to deny it in AppWorld.
    02-16-12 11:59 PM
    Personally, I agree that Skype should be a program that can be run on the PlayBook. I am starting to lose faith that it is going to happen though unfortunately.
    illini2097 likes this.
    02-17-12 12:26 AM

So becuse you have never used it, you see no need for it.

Other than the fact it gives free calls and video chat to friends and family accross the world.

Next stupid statement please?
    02-17-12 12:45 AM
    oh man misleading title ...

i got really excited for a second
    02-17-12 12:46 AM
    oh man misleading title ...

i got really excited for a second
    Its just another pointless post from people who can't seem to work out how to use the search function, which sadly seems to account for 50% of posts in this section at the moment.
    02-17-12 12:48 AM
    I just got back from a trip to Bangkok, Istanbul and Kathmandu. I brought my new Playbook and my iphone. I used my iphone mostly for Skype getting great quality almost free calls to regular Canadian landline phones from anywhere I could get a good wifi connection. I would not have brought the iphone if the playbook used Skype. I have an IPad too and Skype is great on it. A good Skype app almost eliminates the need for a phone while traveling its NOT about chatting at Starbucks! If I could get both text messages from any cell phone and use Skype I would never bring the Iphone or Ipad traveling. As it is I may switch back to the IPad for traveling even though I prefer the form factor and much else about the Playbook. Please bring it to 2.0
    bobauckland and syawalz like this.
    02-17-12 01:02 AM
    Says who? Nonsense.

I believe Skype for Android simply doesn't work in the App Player. If it would AND Skype would submit their Android app through the regular channels I see no reason for RIM to deny it in AppWorld.
    no this is true. Thats why skype doesnt work with the beta 2.0 - rim blocked the apps access to the camera and voice protocols because skype competes with their video chat player.

you have no ieea how dumb rim can be, do you?
    Richdog- and bobauckland like this.
    02-17-12 01:04 AM
    I wish I understood so many peoples need for Skype. I have never used it in my life
    <snip>

A lot of other people do.

rim blocked the apps access to the camera and voice protocols because skype competes with their video chat player.

you have no ieea how dumb rim can be, do you?
    But this makes no sense, because you can go to www.imo.im and video chat with yahoo users... ive tried it and it works. If competing was this issue why not block all third party access to cameras and speakers? And businesswise this is the stupidest thing RIM could do.... moreso than releasing their tablet april 19th 2011 without bbm... Selling a tablet in a market where you must compete with other tablets and actually deny certain features and applications???
    Last edited by kb5zht; 02-17-12 at 01:46 AM.
    Headle, sybrandyp and bobauckland like this.
    02-17-12 01:41 AM
    the front facing camera is pretty useless to me without skype, i have friends and families all around the world. I have a cousin in england, one in australia, few in south asia, few in asia....for all of us skype is the international video chat service, most of my friends use skype to chat with their friends in a different country...it is the universal chat service for most.....rim needs to get skype....i have a feeling skype will work in os 2.0.....if omegle can run the front facing camera....why not skype? it shouldnt be such a big problem for rim to make it compatible, they are worth a few billion dollars.
    02-17-12 01:47 AM
    If they allow Skype, they gonna do a huge change in PB status in the Middle East, where million of expats work,and they need to call, contact their folks and we have ridiculously high phone call prices
    bobauckland likes this.
    02-17-12 02:26 AM
    Skype is ok but they are tragically slow, winmo doesn't even have an app yet and ms bought them. Forget them, let's try and get tango.me first. They were the first multi platform video chat for android so why not bb as well? Their service is free and we are trying to convince them that there are enough bb users to make it worth their effort.
    02-17-12 02:28 AM
    been using reelportal free from appworld and it works cross platform. pc, mac, droid, ios and playbook...and totally free...
    02-17-12 03:56 AM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD