no this is true. Thats why skype doesnt work with the beta 2.0 - rim blocked the apps access to the camera and voice protocols because skype competes with their video chat player.

you have no ieea how dumb rim can be, do you?
    Rumor has it that access was ONLY blocked for the beta, and won't be on the actual release.
    02-17-12 04:02 AM
    While I have absolutely no use for Skype, I still think it's one of the critically needed apps for the PlayBook. I don't use it, but I work in the tech sector and see how it gets used in business all the time. And I know plenty of people who use it for keeping in touch when living away from home.

I look at it just like I look at the native email client.... personally I don't need it, but it not being there is a big black mark against the PlayBook.
    02-17-12 04:16 AM
    I don't understand why so many people need Tampax tampons. I have never used one in my life and haven't even used Always pads.
    Reminds me of the old 1970's joke......

Little boy goes into an old chemists shop
    "Hello little boy what can i do for you ?" asks the Old Chemist
    "i'd like a box of Tampons please" replies the little boy
    "what ?" says the Chemist
    "I'd like a box of Tampons please ?" repeats the little boy
    "How old are you little boy ?" asks the chemist
    "Ten years old" replies the little boy
    "Ten years old !" says the chemist
    "Ten years old and you want a box of tampons little boy ?" asks the chemist
    "Yes" says the boy
    "Why , little boy , would you want a box of Tampons ?" asks the chemist
    "I want to run , swim , play tennis........" says the boy

:-)
    02-17-12 05:11 AM
    So, what is the reason for RIM not allowing the use of Skype. I would think it would certainly enhance the versatility of the PB and therefore result in an increase in sales. Any thoughts?
    02-17-12 06:16 AM
    there is no skype app for pb as of yet. that would be up to skype to create stop the rumors that RIM is blocking it. that is just not true.
    ralfyguy, Superfly_FR and kbz1960 like this.
    02-17-12 06:20 AM
    Very true you have to have one to use with tablets.
    I had a laptop. I gave it to my stepson to use in college. I have a PB now and haven't looked back since. In fact I use it more than I ever did my laptop. I have a PC as well and noticed I hardly turn it on anymore.
    02-17-12 06:32 AM
    Yes I know the pb doesn't have these either but why does everyone act like skype invented video chat when most of the messengers on pc's have been able to do it for years? It never cost anything to video chat on those either.
    02-17-12 06:37 AM
    Yes I know the pb doesn't have these either but why does everyone act like skype invented video chat when most of the messengers on pc's have been able to do it for years? It never cost anything to video chat on those either.
    Because Skype has the best implementation all round of a video chat messenger.
    Their calls are clearer than any of the other programs. They have an option to call landlines and phones in other countries saving plenty of money as well, something iPhones and Android device users can leverage as well.
    Yahoo Messenger can't do phone calls.
    Viber doesn't have desktop programs.
    Tango is awful clarity wise compared with any other chat program Ive used.
    02-17-12 06:48 AM
    It's not just video call. Tell me what messengers can call normal phones? You don't expect your friends/family are always online waiting for your video calls, do you?
    02-17-12 06:51 AM
    While you can call landlines cheaper which I believe yahoo does similar you ain't video chatting with a landline. I'm sure there are calling cards just as cheap or even cheaper for landlines.

I hope skype does make an app or RIM pays what they want. I just don't think skype is the one and only.
    02-17-12 06:56 AM
    Skype will come to PB and OS10 phones because RIM seems to have good relation with Microsoft. Notice that Bing is default search engine on PB and even BB 7.1. So i think Microsoft will do Rim this "favor" and give us Skype soon if not in few days
    collapsed and julianrt like this.
    02-17-12 06:56 AM
    Skype will come to PB and OS10 phones because RIM seems to have good relation with Microsoft. Notice that Bing is default search engine on PB and even BB 7.1. So i think Microsoft will do Rim this "favor" and give us Skype soon if not in few days
    Too bad noone actually uses bing xD
    02-17-12 06:59 AM
    i don't think any other messenger have video chats are available on PB nor phones
    02-17-12 07:00 AM
    Skype is the second best thing after sliced bread or whatever your priorities are

I travel a lot internationally and use skype on my laptop which I leave behind in my hotelroom when out in the field I use my PB as most companies, buses, trains, hotel lobbies have free WIFI now

I own a company of one without a secretary and forward all my business calls to my Skype Number, so I use my skype number to call back, work even in counties where skype is blocked
    My cell phone bills are killing me, I even have 2 foreign SIM cards and return my calls from their once I get the email that I received a skype message or from my Vonage phone number

I signed up for COMWAVE, which works well, but I have one more phone number which gets confusing. Comwave has no IM
    I need Skype to skype plus my skype in and out, and Skype IM, its great to confirm apointments
    I dont need the Video if that is the problem. Video may take to many resources so calls only would be fine
    regards from the "Capital of the World NYC"
    02-17-12 07:03 AM
    oh man misleading title ...

i got really excited for a second
    big time.

Instead of a misleading " Skype on Playbook OS2"

How about a more accurate " Will Skype be available on Playbook OS2?"
    02-17-12 07:09 AM
    @Stevepar - The latest smartphones have wifi hotspot built-in.

On the other hand, most smartphones actually can Skype today. :-)
    02-17-12 07:24 AM
    Wow you guys are so naive to want Skype... My contact in RIM who is apart of the Network Development team has told me time and time again, its NOT coming! He works closely with the App guys and its not happening because of legalities with MS and RIM. So keep dreaming and use another form of video conferencing because Skype is NOT the be all and end all!!
    02-17-12 07:31 AM
    Rumor has it that access was ONLY blocked for the beta, and won't be on the actual release.
    You said it...rumor. I have heard a lot of rumors and I just don't know what to believe anymore honestly. I would like to see Skype however just like the rest of you. All we can do at this juncture is hope.
    02-17-12 08:28 AM
    I have a question, and maybe it's been covered before... but WHY exactly wont RIM allow Skype to be approved? Anyone?
    02-17-12 08:50 AM
    Wow you guys are so naive to want Skype... My contact in RIM who is apart of the Network Development team has told me time and time again, its NOT coming! He works closely with the App guys and its not happening because of legalities with MS and RIM. So keep dreaming and use another form of video conferencing because Skype is NOT the be all and end all!!
    I tried to tell them too but they don't listen. I hear u sick of reading on this topic daily

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook #BeBold 2012
    02-17-12 08:57 AM
    I don't think it has anything to do with approving or not. It has to do with ms/skype making the app. Why is skype only avail foe bb phones on verizon? It obviously works on the bb's but only if you have verizon.

Someone said winphones don't even have it. So if they don't have it for their own pone yet how can anyone expect it to be made for the pb yet?
    02-17-12 08:57 AM
    I have a question, and maybe it's been covered before... but WHY exactly wont RIM allow Skype to be approved? Anyone?
    Part of the reason is that RIM/MS don't have an agreement since MS owns Skype, and as was stated already, WIN phones don't even have Skype, it has something to do with the contracts Skype has with certain vendors and carriers.
    02-17-12 09:15 AM
    If you are 1000's of miles away from your family, children, grandchildren and want to see them grow and stay close to them on a regular basis. Trust me, you will want Skype more than any other bell or whistle on PB. This is a very BIG deal.
    This is exactly correct. Need Skype for keeping in touch with far-flung relatives; its primary advantage is that everyone has it and is familiar with it. Would obviously be far more convenient, even when I am at home, to use my Playbook in any room, as opposed to relying on a computer.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 02-17-12 at 11:04 AM.
    02-17-12 09:26 AM
    I've seen that rumor too, but, it makes no sense.

The entire point (at least officially) of the OS 2.0 beta was for developers to build and test their apps for OS 2.0. Wouldn't access to the camera/mic be a critical aspect in getting developers to develop cool apps? Makes no sense for RIM to give out a toolbox and workbench and leave out the hardware with which to build.

Then again, it is RIM....
    02-17-12 09:42 AM
    I've seen that rumor too, but, it makes no sense.

The entire point (at least officially) of the OS 2.0 beta was for developers to build and test their apps for OS 2.0. Wouldn't access to the camera/mic be a critical aspect in getting developers to develop cool apps? Makes no sense for RIM to give out a toolbox and workbench and leave out the hardware with which to build.

Then again, it is RIM....
    No the entire point of the beta was for devs to port and test their android apps of which android apps that use certain functions will not work in the player.

It is a new OS for being used as is anyway otherwise yes it has been around for some time but in totally different uses. I believe the tools for everything else are either being released or will be shortly.
    02-17-12 09:53 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD