Once the PlayBook makes it's global debut, units will sell off the shelf, demand will be strong and the apps will be plentiful!

India and China's sales figures will put the PlayBook on the world stage and leave the naysayers with egg on their face.

PlayBook is in it's infancy and by the end of the summer, beginning of fall, I predict the PlayBook to be a strong selling, high performance tablet machine!!!

My predictions;

-Native Email, Tasks, Calendar and BBM - No Doubt;
    -BBM goes cross platform (Android, WP7, iOS);
    -Skype - You Bet!
    BBM will not go cross platform, especially with the announcement of imessage.
    06-11-11 12:27 AM
    BBM will not go cross platform, especially with the announcement of imessage.
    Yes I had my doubt about it when I first read about it but now I don't think they really have a choice.

I really do want to see Skype on the PB although I can't see it happening any time soon.
    06-11-11 03:29 AM
    it would be nice to be able to video chat via skype from my playbook...
    06-12-11 02:13 AM
    I've just received my Playbook, and like most users have been searching the web for apps to go onto this amazing tablet. I've been a BB user and tech support for my company for over 7 years, and love (okay, sometimes hate) the products RIM has put out. But like the iPad, apps for the Playbook will be slow to start, then pick up with sales.

As for the responses from the upper management of Skype about a release for the Playbook, there is one thing to keep in mind. These guys are not the programmers, and probably don't even know who is working on the app let alone a release date. I work for a company that develops its own in house software for our products, and I know for a fact the upper management is clueless when it comes to this stuff.
    So with that, we need to be patient and wait a bit longer. I get the feeling you�ll see Skype and other much loved apps for the Playbook by the end of the summer. Just in time for the kiddies to go back to school.
    06-14-11 08:55 AM
    This screenshot was taken on the official BlackBerry website for Canada (should be the same images for the USA). You can see both Facebook and Skype apps at the top of the PlayBook. I bet the official Skype is finally coming... let's hope it's not another Verizon only app.
    that pic is BS. I do their site and no. There are no pics of skype anywhere.
    06-17-11 10:14 AM
    i sick of hearing its comming..... i worked for sprint and when the pre came out same thing ...its comming like years later....like wtf skype should be easy 2 do.... this thing feels like the pre and same stuff its coming....i will be on my galaxy tab by the time its here....wheres the email and calender simple things but yet we r waiting for something that should have been
    07-19-11 12:38 AM
    i sick of hearing its comming..... i worked for sprint and when the pre came out same thing ...its comming like years later....like wtf skype should be easy 2 do.... this thing feels like the pre and same stuff its coming....i will be on my galaxy tab by the time its here....wheres the email and calender simple things but yet we r waiting for something that should have been
    I cant even say it cause at least Babies are original
    DarkKnight08 likes this.
    07-19-11 12:47 AM
    all im asking for is skype the total package video chat and all.... come on rim
    07-21-11 03:08 AM
    Would it really be that difficult for them to port it to the playbook?
    07-21-11 05:26 AM
    Well, this is the first of the contenders to go after VOIP market on the playbook.

Ephone from Comwave App allows you to make and receive phone calls using your PlayBook™ from anywhere you want! Additionally, Comwave allows consumers to make Video Calls to other ePhone users as well at no additional charge.

Looks like a little company from Canada is poised to start taking a bite out of Skype's customers.

Would someone from Skype please address this? I don't want to leave Skype, but if you continue to ignore the playbook, I may have to.
    jpngui likes this.
    08-04-11 10:22 AM
    For what Skype are not offering to the playbook I will be more than happy to give comwave $20 for the services they offer.
    T_Touch likes this.
    08-04-11 12:57 PM
    Its coming!
    Tha pic was taken before microsoft took over skype.
    08-04-11 04:40 PM
    found online skype go to http://imo.im/ from your PlayBook's browser and then sign in to one of the many messaging application options.
    08-07-11 03:59 PM
    I agree with above. Comwave ePhone is a good deal, decent app, with good and responsive customer service initiated only through email. Right now it is keeping my PlayBook from resale on EBay until OS 2.0 either shows up big, or economic utility may mandate it endsmup on EBay after all... I sure hope not.
    09-27-11 08:13 PM
    Is video Skype available on the PlayBook yet?
    09-29-11 05:27 PM
    Is video Skype available on the PlayBook yet?
    No sir. No skype app available for the PlayBook. Check out imo.im and reelportal.com.
    09-30-11 10:47 AM
    I can't help but think that if RIM doesn't have some miraculously amazing plan for x-platform video chat, they just need to bite the bullet and straight up pay skype to develop an app. The enhanced desirability of the PB with skype (in concert with 2.0) makes it a no-brainer in my mind (to say nothing for some good after-sales care for early adopters [aka beta testers])
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-30-11 01:16 PM
    Is there a good Skype app that can be ported over after the Android Player is released into the wild?
    09-30-11 01:30 PM
    No sir. No skype app available for the PlayBook. Check out imo.im and reelportal.com.
    Why did you forget this Playbook friendly online video chat service? ==>> AV by AOL - Let's video chat!
    10-11-11 03:02 PM
    Tango is a video chat app for Android. Perhaps it will work on PB with Android player. Tango works well.
    10-11-11 05:10 PM
    Hey, Chrisy, can you see if reelportal.com works from your TB browser? I was just trying it on the PB and its about the same as the app

I created a room called playbook if anyone wants to test it out. I'll try to leave it on for a while
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 10-11-11 at 07:51 PM.
    10-11-11 07:44 PM
    Did anyone else see the Skype icon in TAT presentation of Cascades?
    10-21-11 01:24 AM
    Did anyone else see the Skype icon in TAT presentation of Cascades?
    I did. I also noticed they gave quite a lot of publicity to the Macbook during the whole keynote. Both issues wound me up a bit, if theres one app I would take on a BlackBerry and my Playbook, its Skype.
    10-21-11 02:37 AM
    Hey, Chrisy, can you see if reelportal.com works from your TB browser? I was just trying it on the PB and its about the same as the app

I created a room called playbook if anyone wants to test it out. I'll try to leave it on for a while
    Sorry, I just saw this. I was able to sign on and get into the room. But the microphone and webcam icons keep flashing red. When I click the icons to turn them on, it doesn't do anything but say select webcam. How do I enable them?
    10-21-11 05:35 AM
    @Chrisy you should download the ReelPortal app for your android fone, because reelportal.com can't access the mic/cam on android browser. Note: you'd need android 2.3 and Adobe AIR 3.0, for ReelPortal to access the front cam. Otherwise, only the rear cam would work. Mic should work either way.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-25-11 04:26 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD