Why does RIM still have application icons and logos (see bottom right of attached photo) for apps still not released included in their promotional materials and website for the PlayBook? Thats quite the misleading image there. No Skype. No TVio. No MSNmessenger. No Yahoo!messenger. NoTwitter. And yet, their icons are there.
    M.Rizk and arvindh like this.
    07-15-11 04:59 PM
    how is this legal
    07-15-11 06:32 PM
    Because you can bridge it to your old cheaply made bb phone and do those things.
    I love BB hardware--specs may be lacking up to now, but build quality is always excellent! I use my BB Bridge daily, believe me, you can't use Skype over Bridge. Not sure if you're being sarcastic or what, but there you have my $0.02.

How is this legal.
    I'm not sure if its "illegal" or crosses the line into false advertising (that's not for me to decide or worry about), but I know its pretty dang shady that they're using that on the website. One of my friends found it on the site and asked me about Skype on my PlayBook. I was shocked to see the image they were using and had to explain that almost every app icon there wasn't available yet, if it ever will be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-15-11 08:21 PM
    It may not be illigal, but I have no problem calling it what it is - blatant false advertising that is designed to mislead the public into thinking that the Playbook can do these features "right now" when it clearly can not.

It is no different than the AppWorld mock up that was done when the Playbook was first being announced that made it seem that both Skype and MSN were already ready for the Playbook and could be downloaded or purchased - they even had a price for the Skype app.

This type of marketing strategy has always bothered me - sell the Playbook on its merits - which it has many - but do not sell the Playbook on false promises and false expectations. This doesn't do any good. When consumers find that these apps are not available, the device is either returned or they start bad mouthing the device; complaining about the device online; or posting horrible reviews within the papers.

At the very least, RIM could have put a disclaimer up that indicated that these apps are not yet available or coming soon. That way, they can't be accused of misleading, at best, the public, or at worst, lieing to them.
    07-15-11 08:53 PM
    I love BB hardware--specs may be lacking up to now, but build quality is always excellent! I use my BB Bridge daily, believe me, you can't use Skype over Bridge. Not sure if you're being sarcastic or what, but there you have my $0.02.

I was being sarcastic, but I do think a lot of their recent phones have shady build quality. I owned a 3 torches, one two buttons fell off, one had the overlay peel off, and ones slide was loose and spongy.
    07-15-11 10:38 PM
    false or misleading marketing advertising is usually sign of poor and incompetent management... that's what my professor had said...
    fnguyen likes this.
    07-15-11 11:31 PM
    I'm sure that sometime in the next year or soon thereafter, the apps will actually exist or they'll rectify the false ads! But remember those talking heads never said anything more than that they believe they are scheduled for ...muffled words.... (can you hear me now?)
    07-15-11 11:52 PM
    Forget Skype. I'm utterly shocked that this thing's been out for three whole months, and there's STILL no native mail client. It's just astonishing that RIM, the company that was built on email, released a tablet that doesn't do email.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-17-11 01:29 AM
    Forget Skype. I'm utterly shocked that this thing's been out for three whole months, and there's STILL no native mail client. It's just astonishing that RIM, the company that was built on email, released a tablet that doesn't do email.
    RIM is built on BES/BIS, which is much more than email. And the Playbook does do BES/BIS via the bridge. Sure, its not ideal, but it works while RIM overhauls an infrastructure 20 years in the making.

07-17-11 01:45 AM
    RIM is built on BES/BIS, which is much more than email. And the Playbook does do BES/BIS via the bridge. Sure, its not ideal, but it works while RIM overhauls an infrastructure 20 years in the making.
    I agree with you sf18443, but RIM doesn't need to overhaul much of anything to bring native email... They could easily allow developers such as those behind AMail to bring a solution to the platform before RIM releases their own in OS updates, but RIM will not. At this point, I think its simply pride.
    07-17-11 12:21 PM
    can someone sue RIM for false & misleading advertisement ????
    07-17-11 10:22 PM
    can someone sue RIM for false & misleading advertisement ????
    I've always wondered that myself. Personally, I would love to see something like this done - not necessarily to see if RIM would win or lose as anytime a company is sued, its held up in the court system for eons. Rather, it might be what is necessary to get RIMS attention that promising something that is not available is ethically dubious.
    07-17-11 10:50 PM
    I've always wondered that myself. Personally, I would love to see something like this done - not necessarily to see if RIM would win or lose as anytime a company is sued, its held up in the court system for eons. Rather, it might be what is necessary to get RIMS attention that promising something that is not available is ethically dubious.
    Haha! I'm not doing it!
    07-17-11 11:04 PM
    Well, anyone can sue anyone else - happens all too often.

Those ads are probably deceptive but I'm not sure what's what with Canadian or provincial law.

Unlike the puffing that occurs in ads saying "the most professional tablet" the ads touting non-existent alliances or apps is most likely deceptive. I could even see one of those companies going after rim as some might view those companies at fault for the failure to be available on the pb.
    07-17-11 11:57 PM
    Its garbage. The PB and 99XX apps worry me :/

Its kind of the same thing when McDonalds advertises their burgers, they look nothing like the pictures when you order them. WTF

DavideaNY likes this.
    07-18-11 01:16 AM
    this is whats keeping my money in my pocket at this time. I'm all for a professional tab with powerful capabilities but right now it's like owning a racecar but not having any wheels on it. It COULD be awesome, if there were some way to use it...
    07-18-11 09:26 AM
    this is whats keeping my money in my pocket at this time. I'm all for a professional tab with powerful capabilities but right now it's like owning a racecar but not having any wheels on it. It COULD be awesome, if there were some way to use it...
    Great analogy! Sad but true...
    Welcome to CrackBerry.
    07-18-11 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD