App World interface on the Playbook is looking good, here is a screenshot of the Skype app from the App world on the Playbook.

Skype Found in App World for PlayBook for $2.99? - BerryReview
    Last edited by sf49ers; 04-07-11 at 05:33 PM.
    Jonathank likes this.
    04-07-11 05:31 PM
    There seems to be some hype around the price, as skype is a free app as of now. We all hope it will be nixed and be free... unless it includes some premium features.
    04-07-11 05:32 PM
    App World interface on the Playbook looks awesome, here is the screenshot of the Skype app from the App world on the Playbook.

Skype Found in App World for PlayBook for $2.99? - BerryReview
    Sweet.

Pretty funny how big of a deal the people at berryreview make over 3 dollars. I'll pay 3 dollars providing its a solid video chat application

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 05:34 PM
    its not the point of $3...its the fact that BB users always seem to pay more for apps/games over those on other platforms or have to pay for apps that are free on other platforms.

WB elite is a good example

apple = .99
    android = 1.99
    BB = 4.99
    04-07-11 05:40 PM
    Sweet.

Pretty funny how big of a deal the people at berryreview make over 3 dollars. I'll pay 3 dollars providing its a solid video chat applicationm
    I don't know... Skype Mobile is pretty bad. I don't think I have a lot of faith in them to make an app worthy of any of my money.
    04-07-11 05:40 PM
    its not the point of $3...its the fact that BB users always seem to pay more for apps/games over those on other platforms or have to pay for apps that are free on other platforms.

apple = .99
    android = 1.99
    BB = 4.99

True - that being said, I'll pay a few bucks here and there NOT to use iOS or Android, or some big goofy phone with just a big touch screen on it made by a Japanese company. I don't really purchase a ton of apps unless they're useful to me in my daily routine so its not a huge worry for me. But if its something that I know is quality and know that I will use it, I'm ok with paying something under 5 dollars. It likely helps that I'm into programming as well and know the work that goes into making a polished final product.
    As with anything, you SHOULD get what you pay for.

04-07-11 05:46 PM
    Rather use the free video chat coming on the PB...

04-07-11 05:46 PM
    Rather use the free video chat coming on the PB...

Same. But I think a lot of people, myself included, would be interested in a cross-platform application to video chat with facetime, skype...bbm contacts(?)
    Undoubtedly for PlayBook to PlayBook, the native video chat app will be the best quality

04-07-11 05:49 PM
    ffs... it brings me round to a favourite of mine. SMS Interceptor.

BlackBerry: �120

Now these are just guesses, but I'd has at a guess of this:
    Android: �20
    iPhone: �30
    04-07-11 05:50 PM
    Maybe 'yes' maybe 'no' from the OP's link:

"Ronen posted an article with the picture below from CES back in January about the possibility of seeing Skype on the PlayBook. It has since been discovered that this picture is in fact a mockup. But notice the FREE price here."

The skype icon shown may be a dummy.

In the US the only Skype apps are for use on VZ
    Last edited by mandony; 04-07-11 at 07:37 PM.
    04-07-11 05:50 PM
    As much as I'd love to see Skype on my PlayBook this means nothing. The screenshot shown is obviously a mockup. I highly doubt Skype would charge money for the app since they make money through people USING the app already. Also in the bottom left there's a Y! Messenger icon. I can't read the price but I can tell it doesn't say 'FREE'. Having to pay for Y! Messenger is even more unlikely than having to pay for Skype.

So... I call Shenanigans.
    04-07-11 05:55 PM
    Same. But I think a lot of people, myself included, would be interested in a cross-platform application to video chat with facetime, skype...bbm contacts(?)
    Undoubtedly for PlayBook to PlayBook, the native video chat app will be the best quality

Maybe the built-in BBM video chat on the PB will be able to cross platform on later updates or the first version because of the ability to run Android Apps.Just something to think about.

04-07-11 05:56 PM
    When using the built-in video chat on PB, does the person on the other end also have to have a program installed on their computer. Can I chat to a computer or do I have to use something like Skype?
    04-07-11 07:36 PM
    I don't like Skype anyway!

04-07-11 07:49 PM
    I'd pay more than $3 if this is the real skype!! We have to stop comparing with those other tabs etc, PB is a great tab and if we all support it and the apps that come with it (even if they do cost the same as cup of coffee!!) then developers etc will continue to make great apps for this and it will thrive!!
    bbaleno likes this.
    04-07-11 08:34 PM

apple = .99
    android = 1.99
    BB = 4.99
    It's harder to develop for BBOS (may not be for QNX going forward) and the developers don't get their money's worth from AppWorld. That's why I think it's more expensive. If more people bought it, the price would go down. Shows that people buying vs developer costs ratios are harder to overturn on the BB platform.
    04-07-11 11:31 PM
    I think more exciting is that if you look closer at the image, it shows that a TiVo Scheduler app is being ported to the PlayBook. EXcellent!!!!!
    04-08-11 10:52 AM
    True - that being said, I'll pay a few bucks here and there NOT to use iOS or Android, or some big goofy phone with just a big touch screen on it made by a Japanese company. I don't really purchase a ton of apps unless they're useful to me in my daily routine so its not a huge worry for me. But if its something that I know is quality and know that I will use it, I'm ok with paying something under 5 dollars. It likely helps that I'm into programming as well and know the work that goes into making a polished final product.
    As with anything, you SHOULD get what you pay for.

Isn't RIM coming out with a Blackberry just like that? Tech Blogs are already laughing about the new Torch/Bold Touch saying they look like they are stuck in the last decade and calling the bold touch's 2.8 touchscreen "microscopic."

Haven't heard anything bad about the full touch phone, though...

And yea, Blackberry Pricing is stuck in the last decade. That's why Microsoft had to get rid of Windows Mobile. The apps were overpriced there as well. TBQH, given the difficulty in developing for RIM's devices compared to competing products, a developer can theoretically justify the higher price (provided the app was on feature/quality parity with other platforms, and not a ****ty cheap port like some of those Android apps are).
    04-08-11 09:07 PM
    Why wouldn't you be able to use the Skype website for skype calls? I'm wondering if the browser would have access to the cameras natively. You'd only need a Skype account if that was the case, right?
    04-09-11 01:23 AM
    Isn't RIM coming out with a Blackberry just like that? Tech Blogs are already laughing about the new Torch/Bold Touch saying they look like they are stuck in the last decade and calling the bold touch's 2.8 touchscreen "microscopic."

Haven't heard anything bad about the full touch phone, though...

And yea, Blackberry Pricing is stuck in the last decade. That's why Microsoft had to get rid of Windows Mobile. The apps were overpriced there as well. TBQH, given the difficulty in developing for RIM's devices compared to competing products, a developer can theoretically justify the higher price (provided the app was on feature/quality parity with other platforms, and not a ****ty cheap port like some of those Android apps are).
    However, I think a lot of developers are milking it for more than it's worth.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/14953 - $149.99
    iTunes App Store search for intercept SMS - �2.39 (probably about $3.59) for the highest priced app
    https://market.android.com/details?id=call.interceptor - �0.61 (Probably about $1.19)

See what I mean about overpriced apps. And the Android and BB ones were the first market results from a search for SMS Interceptor for [platform]
    04-09-11 10:47 AM
    I think more exciting is that if you look closer at the image, it shows that a TiVo Scheduler app is being ported to the PlayBook. EXcellent!!!!!
    I'll be a killjoy and mention that it looks like it costs $29.99 for that app. On the other hand I doubt that skype really is $2.99 and Yahoo! Messenger really is $4.99... I say these are mockups, there's no way anybody's actually paying this much.

04-09-11 03:03 PM
    the pricing has a lot to do with the entrance fee into app world. in the past its been $200 just for 10 apps and then another $200 when you run out of the first 10 app credits. which was ridiculous. but recently with the lifting of the fee(s) the pricing for the apps will most likely come down.

that being said, it wont be free forever. i hope RIM comes out with a feasible pricing option for developers.
    04-09-11 03:57 PM
    I'll be a killjoy and mention that it looks like it costs $29.99 for that app. On the other hand I doubt that skype really is $2.99 and Yahoo! Messenger really is $4.99... I say these are mockups, there's no way anybody's actually paying this much.
    Totally. Parties that make their money from people USING the app would never charge for the app itself. So if you see Skype, MSN, Y!Messenger, NetFlix, Hulu, Flickr, anything official really and it costs money according to a screenshot it simply HAS to be fake. And for those large corporations any entry fee, even if it's $1000 per app is NOTHING. It would certainly not stop them from releasing apps on any viable platform nor charge money for it to end-users.

I'm really surprised that an enormous amount of sites/blogs were so gullible that they posted that Skype screenshot as 'proof' of Skype being on the PlayBook. (Crackberry was not by the way, power to them!)
    04-09-11 04:36 PM
    I'm really surprised that an enormous amount of sites/blogs were so gullible that they posted that Skype screenshot as 'proof' of Skype being on the PlayBook. (Crackberry was not by the way, power to them!)
    I have better proof. I asked a RIM rep and they told me yes, then to be sure she BBM'd her techie RIM contact, who also said yes :P. But yeah, now that you point that out it was kind of stupid for them to assume based on that...

04-09-11 06:57 PM
    we all knew there was going to be a skype app, its just not done yet from what we have been told
    04-09-11 07:33 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD