With all those wonderful insights, I keep thinking that if it is not RIM's fault neither the developer, then there must be another non-obvious strong force... we are missing one probable cause i.e. Skype is still not in PlayBook because some iOS or Android or Windows don't want to... not sure if this is true, but I've read in one underground blog's site that an alternative some sort of energy has been already discovered that can totally replace oil... but some powerful countries, specifically those that control "oil" will not let this thing to happen because they will lose the power to control the world i.e. "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle Is The Hand That Rules The World"... well, it may not true on "oil" but it can be true to other subjects...
    Take off the foil hat and step away from the keyboard....
    Yaceka likes this.
    06-01-12 10:15 AM
    *YAWN* Skype is being integrated into the contacts and video chat app, there will NOT be a skype app per say....

I will keep telling everyone this until I go funky colours!!
    miroozy likes this.
    06-01-12 10:29 AM
    *YAWN* Skype is being integrated into the contacts and video chat app, there will NOT be a skype app per say....

Mind providing a source?
    06-01-12 10:48 AM
    Mind providing a source?
    My friend is one of the network engineers for RIM and is working on the backend network for everything related to the apps and the NOC. So he's been keeping me up to date
    06-01-12 10:53 AM

Pics or it didnt happen!
    diegonei likes this.
    06-01-12 10:55 AM
    Double wrong. Skype is an independant third party developer. It is up to RIM to convince third party developers to use their platform.

Developers will never build for a platform unless they need to or believe they should. I.E. You build your own phone + OS. It is up to you to sell that OS to third party. RIM needs to cut a few big cheques and get it done. Edit: RIM looks to be unwilling to pay Skype and Netflix the development cost for their platform (angry they have to) plus they know Skype and Netflix will then want yearly sustainment fees. We (customers) aren't generating enough income to RIM to justify it. This will change in all likelihood once RIM is serious about BB10 being released (i.e. Actual firm date with commitment and gold release in sight).

Ed.
    Tripple Wrong,

So that means then that Pioneer shouldn't be the one responsible making their radio's support the wiring harness in your vehicle so that you can install it, but that it's up the manufacture of your vehicle to make sure Pioneer's equipment can been installed, right?

I hope you don't really think this way!! LOL
    06-01-12 10:58 AM
    Ok, this has to be said...

Wrong times infinity!

Not that this is out of the way please return to your regularly scheduled thread.
    06-01-12 11:01 AM
    Angry birds came to the PB because the redevelopment costs were small enough. Its just cost balancing.
    You also have to look at the size of the developer as well.

While redevelopment costs for Angry Birds is small enough, Rovio is also a pre-IPO company with limited resources.

Skype is a multi-billion dollar subsidiary inside Microsoft, they have far more resources to handle more complex redevelopment costs.
    06-01-12 11:05 AM
    Trust me, I'm not saying its right or my preference. But capitalism is what it is. Neither Skype or Netflix wants a handful of increased users generating a small fee even if it is profitable long term. They want their payout to immediately offset development costs.

Yes, its not fair. But RIM has no negotiating power right now with them. It is what it is. If we want Skype and Netflix, they need to do the corporate america thing and pay out.

It would be nice if the market would change - but that takes a long time and will wait for RIM to gathers its strength. And being rude to other contributers on the forum and being condescending is not going to affect that in the slightest. But yes, I disagree with you based on todays market, RIMs position in the market, and what the client needs.
    It has nothing to do with being rude. It's just that this topic is coming up in almost every post. I know everyone would love to have Skype on their Playbook. But the problem is that that the same questions keep getting asked and those questions always get the same responses.

No one in these forums has any idea what is really happening behind the scenes, but I think the following are safe assumptions:

1. Everyone's screaming for Skype.
    2. RIM is aware that everyone is screaming for Skype.
    3. Skype is a resource intensive app that requires proprietary codecs and native code for the device it's written for.
    4. Even Microsoft (who now owns Skype) is having trouble integrating it into their own OS.
    5. Development cost for native applications is very expensive.
    6. Given the market share of iOS and Android, it's worth the development cost for Skype to support these OSs.
    7. Skype will obviously complete a native Windows Phone project before they'll ever consider a BB solution given that they are now owned by Microsoft.
    8. RIM cannot themselves tweak, rewrite, reengineer Skype code for use on the Playbook or BB10 because of copyright/patent issues.
    9. From the outside looking in, RIM is doing whatever they can to convince Skype to produce a BB Skype product.
    10. If Skype decides they want to be in the new RIM environment, they will do so.

I think I'm safe in saying that there was no intention by anyone to be rude. I just think that given the current situation with RIM, the number of times the same question is asked, and the obvious anxiety among the fans, that there is a very fine line between rude and frustrated which is easily mistaken.
    Last edited by louzer; 06-01-12 at 03:51 PM.
    GreyGhostRos and diegonei like this.
    06-01-12 03:45 PM
    Ok, this has to be said...

Wrong times infinity!

Not that this is out of the way please return to your regularly scheduled thread.
    How about... Wrong in quantum levels?
    06-02-12 01:11 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD