So I am one of the people that have been looking for a note taking/hand writing/sketch app. I initially settled with ScratchPad as it was good for the basic functionality of quick small sketches needing to be made. If you needed, the sketches could be saved. However, it is missing a lot of the more advanced features which are desirable such as actually saving the sketches to pdf, multiple notebooks, pen widths, precision, etc.....

Enter Skit. I read about this in another thread and it had been taken down from Appworld for an upgrade and appears to be up and running again. Initial impressions of it are quite good. It is responsive to touch and draws distinct, accurate lines. There is a small bit of lag when drawing the lines but it is not that bad. Another nice feature is that it will pick up a single dot unlike scratchpad which did not register a dot. The biggest hindrance to accuracy is the fact a styles or your finger is not pin point accurate so keep that in mind when using these apps and judging them. I think the wacom bamboo stylus may help. The reviews seem to be good so far as it has a slightly smaller tip than other capacitive ones. I only made a few pages of notes and exported them to pdf and tested the readability on the playbook and it seems to function well.

A few small details which could use improvements. It would be nice to be able to have longer names for the books. I don't know if this is feasible as I know nothing about developing apps. I think having larger pages would also be nice. Instead of having only the screen space maybe put a scroll bar that must be manually operated to scroll down and maybe make the available space on one page in landscape mode double what it is now maybe 3x what it is. Something that is purely graphical and takes absolutely nothing away from this app is the menu is a little laggy to pull down. Not a large deal but it adds some polish to a very clean looking app. Lastly maybe having all the color options you do in the app for drawing as optional colors for books would be nice.

Overall, A+ app!

eta- @ 4 dollars I think it is well worth it. $4 is really nothing. Skip a cheeseburger one day and buy yourself this program instead. Having paid for it I am hoping more support will be given for the program if it does well so this is a great start for it. It can only get better from here.

-another thought, maybe being able to bookmark and add it to a table of contents on the first page of a book?
    Last edited by 3Athlete; 05-12-11 at 12:23 AM.
    phonegeek#AC likes this.
    05-12-11 12:04 AM
    good review/summary. I totally agree with you.

I was fortunate enough to pick up Skit before it got pulled. the last update I installed really improved the app. before, text was super angular and note taking was far from ideal, but this was the most full featured app in its category on App World. with the latest update, text is just so much smoother and round; it's quite drastic how much input recognition has improved.

I agree with you that the app is a tad laggy and the pages could be bigger.
    hopefully with the app back in the store, more sales will result in more dev support and updates.

so Skit the cheeseburger and get this one (ZING!!!)

ps. I use a Griffin stylus. works well enough.
    Last edited by belsunce; 05-12-11 at 06:21 AM. Reason: added amazing play on words and ps about stylus
    05-12-11 06:19 AM
    I'm using a Kensington 2-in-1 Stylus and with the minimal amount of pressure it writes pretty well. Thirding the lag as a bit of a drawback but its not bad at all and, frankly, may always have at least a slightest bit of lag. Overall though it seems to work quite well. Things to add:

-portrait mode switching ***update: just realized you just switch the type of paper you want to employ a portrait mode experience
    -longer page (as the OP said)
    -perhaps some audio record feature for voice notes within each "book"

Again, a good app and now I'm the coolest (read nerdiest) guy in my office meetings... and proud of it.
    Last edited by ATLdigitized; 05-12-11 at 10:29 AM.
    05-12-11 10:24 AM
    very nice well polished app. more pages per book would be great
    05-12-11 02:45 PM
    Great app would be better if you can make notes on an existing PDF, like a pdf blueprint.
    MTL likes this.
    05-12-11 07:37 PM
    Great app would be better if you can make notes on an existing PDF, like a pdf blueprint.
    ^^^ Completely agree. Would be terrific if we could get an app to mark-up existing PDF files (or, god willing, even Word or Excel files). One of the things I miss the most on the PB, and one of the reasons I keep having to pull out the old iPad.
    ignites likes this.
    05-12-11 07:51 PM
    Hi, I'm one of the developer of Skit. It's surprising to see that's there's already thread on our product. Thank you so much for purchasing and reviewing Skit (special thanks to someone from this forum who put a great review in AppWorld).

We'll be watching this forum for any review/critics, and we'll try to put your suggestion in future updates. Sales has been good in first few days only, so we're really looking for important aspects we need to improve.

short answers to your queries:
    - longer title: it is feasible to have longer title. Our only concern is just about the aesthetics (it will not fit one-line) in the book cover. Less elegant, don't you think ?

- larger pages: it is feasible. Concerns: 1. the invisible area of the paper will make some users confused about the exact paper size. 2. The area in our 'small' playbook screen is just too precious to waste for scroll bar. Our idea is to have the whole screen as your paper (that's why the top menu is automatically hiding), and try to make hand-writing as natural as possible. Perhaps, better solution will be: click hand icon, drag up / down.

- laggy menu : Okay we'll make it faster

- audio record: something we need to consider more.

- @V3nom: more pages per book would be great ? you can always add more page by clicking next-page button (top right-most) in canvas.

If you need further support, you can email us on [email protected]
    05-15-11 12:30 AM
    eclaircie,
    Which stylus do recommend for your app? I'm trying to find the bamboo stylus for Ipad, but it is on backorder on every site that sells them. Is there another you have used that works as good?

I bought the app and really like it, I think a stylus would work better for me with this app.
    05-15-11 10:03 AM
    Here's my feature request: Chapters and/or bookmarks! That way I can have a single book be a course, yet have subsections of it be the units.
    05-15-11 10:57 AM
    Any chance of dialling up the sensitivty of the app. I have tried a stylus with it, the alupen, not a great one I know, but it works great in scroodle, but a not that great in Skit. was wondering if the sensitivity might have something to do with it
    belsunce likes this.
    05-16-11 11:00 AM
    Any chance of dialling up the sensitivty of the app. I have tried a stylus with it, the alupen, not a great one I know, but it works great in scroodle, but a not that great in Skit. was wondering if the sensitivity might have something to do with it
    my thoughts exactly. I use the Griffin stylus, which worked awesome on iPad.

Skit is by far the best app in its category so far but it still needs some work. now that I see it's not just my stylus...
    it works well enough now but it could definitely be smoother.
    Last edited by belsunce; 05-16-11 at 01:29 PM.
    05-16-11 01:20 PM
    Well, I'd suggest you guys take a good look at Notes Plus and snag a few ideas from them. The first one that I'd recommend you consider, that seems like it would not be that hard to implement, is the "Palm Pad" to keep you from scribbling on your paper when you're trying to write with a stylus.. Check it out towards the end of this interesting video:

Bottom line is that we need something like Notes Plus on Playbook and the closer you get to supporting some of these basic features, the happier I will be that I spent my money on your app!
    Kanuck34 likes this.
    05-16-11 02:08 PM
    I just purchased Skit and with the Targus stylus it is pretty much worthless for me. I have to print so darn large that I can only get about two to three words on a line. Is there a better stylus that I should try?
    05-16-11 02:41 PM
    I bought one of these today at Walmart and found about the same thing. You have to press the stylus all the way down, deflating the rubber tip and touching the hard stuff under the rubber, before it registers any movement. Also, the bottom of my hand ends up writing all over the paper when I try to use the stylus. Hence my recommendation that they consider implementing something like the "Palm Pad" on Notes Plus for iPad.

Love the app idea and what is there so far is pretty cool, but the app isn't really usable yet for me as a day to day note taking app for meetings and such.

I'm also interested in other people's stylus recommendations. Are other stylus working better or is it just a limitation of capacitive touch screens?

I just purchased Skit and with the Targus stylus it is pretty much worthless for me. I have to print so darn large that I can only get about two to three words on a line. Is there a better stylus that I should try?
    05-16-11 02:55 PM
    eclaircie,
    Which stylus do recommend for your app? I'm trying to find the bamboo stylus for Ipad, but it is on backorder on every site that sells them. Is there another you have used that works as good?

I bought the app and really like it, I think a stylus would work better for me with this app.
    I also bought this app and the Targus stylus does not work very well, what stylus do you recommend for your app?
    06-22-11 06:22 PM
    Hi, I'm one of the developer of Skit. It's surprising to see that's there's already thread on our product. Thank you so much for purchasing and reviewing Skit (special thanks to someone from this forum who put a great review in AppWorld).

We'll be watching this forum for any review/critics, and we'll try to put your suggestion in future updates. Sales has been good in first few days only, so we're really looking for important aspects we need to improve.

If you need further support, you can email us on [email protected]
    please please please please update this app. Concept brilliant and justbwhat is needed (an app that you can use your playbook to take notes on in meetings or whereever) HOWEVER, the lag on the actual drawing/writing lets it down, which is so fustrating because there are other simpler drawing apps like sketchbook which draw a lot smoother and more responsive.
    I read somewhere that rim published the code for signature signing app production surely this would carry smooth coding for a smoother experience.

if you made the writing a lot smoother people and i would pay more for it.

stylus wise i bought 2 a dagi red dot one which is great for accuracy though not quite as comfortable . and a gomadic one which is nice to write with but nit quite as accurate, if someone just improved the responsiveness of the drawing apps the dagi would be the best.
    Ittles likes this.
    07-25-11 04:45 PM
    Can you post a pic of how the dagi writes. I am also looking for an app/stylus for taking notes during meetings. Skit has a great formt but my notes look like chicken scratch. I even searched in the Android apps for future use but still can't find something usefull.
    07-26-11 08:46 AM
    I am looking for a note taking app for my playbook, but have been hugely unimpressed with the use of a stylus on the playbook. I tested the Griffin and found I had to press ways too hard for it to be practical for writing.

I would need a stylus that is responsive and that would allow me to write real small as the screen is just too small for decent note taking.

I saw "penultimate" on the iPad and was hugely impressed. By the way all the styluses I tried on the iPad worked really well. No pressure at all was required. What's up with the playbook that so much pressure is required? Is it the screen or is it the software?

Also, there are lot's of negative comments about the use of a stylus with Skit. Any comments in this regard?

Thanks
    08-08-11 10:46 AM
    just bought my wife an ipad and downloaded "penultimate" a free app.

when on any page, penultimate allows you to email the page or the whole book.

any chance of getting an email facility in skit?
    08-21-11 04:53 AM
    Take a screen shot of the page then attach to the email. Not the best way but I would think it would work. I am still looking for a legable not taking app. and have yet to find one. I attend many diff. committee mtgs and like to keep my notes on the PB, at this point the best I can do is take handwritten (on paper) notes then scan and email them to myself then download to PB. Again not the best way but at least I don't have to carry around a big brief case.
    08-21-11 10:43 AM
    Skit is a good app for note taking, but I see it could be better. Probably evolve into a note taking app that is on par with Notes Plus for iPad.
    08-30-11 12:41 PM
    can you type into the app, or is it only a pen type thing?
    08-30-11 09:20 PM
    Hi - I don't have a Playbook yet, so haven't seen the app. But I do use Xournal on Linux using a Wacom tablet - you may want to take a look at it for ideas - it also runs on Windows
    Xournal
    08-31-11 04:42 AM
    I am looking for a note taking app for my playbook, but have been hugely unimpressed with the use of a stylus on the playbook. I tested the Griffin and found I had to press ways too hard for it to be practical for writing.

I would need a stylus that is responsive and that would allow me to write real small as the screen is just too small for decent note taking.

I saw "penultimate" on the iPad and was hugely impressed. By the way all the styluses I tried on the iPad worked really well. No pressure at all was required. What's up with the playbook that so much pressure is required? Is it the screen or is it the software?

Also, there are lot's of negative comments about the use of a stylus with Skit. Any comments in this regard?

Thanks

If you are impressed with Penultimate for iPad, then you must try Note Taker HD for iPad. It is much better. I use the iPad for taking notes until Skit improves.

Skit, this is a good start! Please keep up the good work to be able to get rid of my iPad completely.
    10-07-11 03:10 AM
    Will there ever be a Skit version that will allow notetaking on an exiting pdf? This is much needed!
    10-22-11 01:55 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD