Any chance we can get a sonar app?
    Somehow use the stereo speakers and stereo mics to get an acoustic picture of the room?
    Think how bats work. Is the timing tight enough?
    To measure the echo pattern of the sound reflections.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-10-12 04:13 PM
    Somehow use the stereo speakers and stereo mics to get an acoustic picture of the room?
    Think how bats work.
    if Batman can do it with a Nokia (was it a Nokia in The Dark Knight?), why not?
    04-10-12 04:31 PM
    Yes! Let's get this, we NEED it
    04-10-12 04:38 PM
    Yes! Let's get this, we NEED it
    How would you use this (what for), just asking?
    04-10-12 04:49 PM
    I don't think the built in speakers and microphone would give you an accurate enough measurement of the room.

Uses? Setting up a room, tuning audio equipment, etc..
    04-10-12 05:21 PM
    Any chance we can get a sonar app?
    Somehow use the stereo speakers and stereo mics to get an acoustic picture of the room? Think how bats work. Is the timing tight enough? To measure the echo pattern of the sound reflections.
    Interesting...

In theory, yes, but it would be 2-dimensional, like the sonar a submarine has. The seperation between the speakers and/or mics probably isn't enough to get much resolution in the 2nd dimension. Don't expect an air traffic control type rotating radar, because the hardware is stationary.

But combined with the camera and perhaps magnetometer (orientation) it might be a fun experiment.

Timing can be calibrated either by emitting a pulse and listening for the result or by emitting a frequency sweep and monitoring the phase you are getting back in the mics. Such techniques are often used when installing & calibrating a sound system, and are quite well understood.
    04-10-12 05:28 PM
    Next step for me... Learn how to program.

There appear to be so many cool sensors in the device. I bet 10 years ago it would have cost a fortume.
    04-10-12 06:08 PM
    The BlackBerry devs actually created a sonar app with the playbook.
    It had a aliens stealing milk theme I believe anyway with a little searching you should find it on YouTube.
    04-10-12 07:32 PM
    The BlackBerry devs actually created a sonar app with the playbook.
    It had a aliens stealing milk theme I believe anyway with a little searching you should find it on YouTube.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook Protects Your Milk from Aliens (Or: Using the BlackBerry PlayBook for Rapid Prototyping) BlackBerry Developer Blog

It uses some external hardware including an Arduino board and an infra-red detector. But to access the hardware we'd need drivers which were never released.
    04-10-12 11:25 PM
    Woomp there it is.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    04-10-12 11:43 PM
    How would you use this (what for), just asking?
    Just sarcasm

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    04-11-12 01:37 AM
    That'd be awesome for walking in the dark so no one could see you...
    (waits for people to notice the problems with that statement)
    04-15-12 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD