maybe they dont WANT to approve it,because they dont like to see a dev developing a better browser than their people were able to create.
    its a shame to see what you did in such a short time,without all the big ressources rim has and nevertheless you did better.
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-30-11 01:39 PM

That said, for many web sites where RIM's web engine is crap, I'm still finding that Dolphin in Android is the best bet.. For example, the Yahoo web mail iPad view is so much better than what you get from RIM's browser and it appears to take more than just a user agent setting- there's actually something in the rendering engine that it needs to display properly: the iPad view does not display properly with any of the other browsers I have installed, other than Dolphin..
    Could you post a link to Dolphin.bar? (The google spreadsheet link has expired.) I'm struggling with a website that doesn't work properly in any of the Playbook browsers.
    12-30-11 02:46 PM
    Man you're so good, you should make a skype app. I'll pay you for it.
    12-30-11 03:04 PM
    Man you're so good, you should make a skype app. I'll pay you for it.
    12-30-11 03:26 PM
    HaTaX - Nice work. One issue I have with both the stock and simplebrowser occurs on the website ziprealty
    If I try to view a real estate listing and get all the way to the bottom of the page where the embedded map begins to render the browsers just close immediately. Any idea why or if I can fix this problem?
    Thanks!
    12-30-11 04:12 PM
    this has to be the longest I've ever waited for an app update to hit appworld. what gives? hmm...
    12-31-11 08:56 AM
    yeah its strange,normally when i see an app in the recently updated section,its ready within 2 days.Whats up this time,they all on vacation or what,approve it already guys,whats the matter.
    I think it isnt really smart having to approve every update,thats just silly
    12-31-11 09:12 AM
    I am SOOOO excited for the ad-blocking. Thanks HaTaX!!!
    12-31-11 10:52 AM
    Curious, what does it take to get an app approved? Do they test the app? Do they make sure it works? Are they looking for security breaches? What do they do?!?

Considering what makes it into App World(!!!), I'm surprised that they actually do anything at all.
    FF22 and nimrodity like this.
    12-31-11 05:30 PM
    @Hatax
    just curious,but are you able to integrate swipe gestures into the browser?
    I mean something like the back button swipe in the android player.
    Or is that impossible with the current dev tools or maybe even in general?
    12-31-11 08:43 PM
    Actually, that's a good idea- one thing I've gotten used to in Zirco is the ability to go back and forth between tabs with an in-screen sideways swipe..
    nimrodity likes this.
    01-01-12 12:08 PM
    Wow this still isn't updated on app world?
    01-02-12 09:15 AM
    Rim needs to wake there drunk selves up....
    01-02-12 04:04 PM
    Wow this still isn't updated on app world?
    I know. I'm looking forward to this update, too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 04:36 PM
    Obviously, Hatax overdid himself and has once again offended the Rim Masters!

Maybe he accidentally blocked a bb ad!
    Lhendr likes this.
    01-02-12 05:14 PM
    Purchased the plus version of the browser awhile ago and it's rapidly becoming my preferred browser (RIM be very afraid). Once tabs are in place the 'standard' browser will cease to be mine.
    01-02-12 05:48 PM
    You guys will like the next set of updates I push into the request queue this week.... I've redone how the bookmarks and options menu are shown and cleaned up the whole settings list in its display and such. There are a ton of tweaks in this build towards speed and a fluid UI.

Also added the webpage "favicon" into the bookmarks list for websites that have them, made private browsing a selectable option in the settings menu, and of course ad blocking.

Ad blocking has taken me a few days to get to a stage I feel comfortable releasing it. The hangup is that I still need to parse a few thousand lines from a vector (faster then an array but extremely similar) against each URL that's requested. So undeniably it adds a little overhead to the loading process, but you save time as well from not loading that content which can be a big savings if it's say a JavaScript ad frame... The checking procedure is down to a few lines of code and performs *very* quickly and will save page load times for 90% of people out there. In some cases you could notice a slowdown if you have a very high speed connection or the webpage contains LOTS of external content that's not being blocked.

There's a lot of explanation going on there, but what I'm trying to say is that it was tough to minimize the impact of comparing a large list of strings properly against each requested element. I think I've got a very quick check in place now and it should benefit most users.

Beyond that, the ad block list by default refreshes itself every week if the source is default or a custom URL that's out on the internet. If you use a local custom list that's pointed to your file system (URL starts with file:///) then it will be refreshed each time its called. It supports lists of just URLs and hosts formatted files, mac formatted hosts files are fine as well.

So yeah, I think that's enough to incorporate a new build and I'll be working on cleaning it up and getting it submitted this week.

After that, history page and download manager......

PS - They approved the info the free version now without approving the app again!!!! Grrrr, what are they doing over there?
    01-02-12 06:01 PM
    Here's some teaser pictures from my current debug build....
    zoban and djdnz like this.
    01-02-12 06:05 PM
    One last post, I did at least want to show you all that I did have this submitted in.... I'll pull this post once it's all approved too. I'll send an email off to RIM tomorrow AM if nothing has changed then.

So this post is not bashing on them at all, everyone needs a vacation over the holidays so I'll give em till the morning before I find fault, but just thought I'd throw you all a bone to keep my own out of the sling.
    01-02-12 06:12 PM
    HaTax you really do rock. The browser updates have far exceeded my expectations. Maybe RIM is reverse engineering your browser so they can incorporate all your work into THEIR updates
    01-02-12 06:14 PM
    I have a feeling that I'll wake up to a good cup of coffee and a great upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-12 08:35 PM
    just some small thoughts after looking at the teaser shots.Wouldnt it be better to squeeze the 3 items in the bookmarks sections in the first line so there wouldnt be a second one,looks a bit more space efficent,this way you would see one or two bookmarks more too.There is enough space left for that.
    I would prefer the favicon on the left side of the screen like in the stock browser,it helps to indentify a bookmark faster at leasst for me.
    But sometimes i doubt rim will approve it,they clearly dont want this one out there for obvious reasons.But what does it matter to them which browser is used by default by most of the people.
    In the end the playbook users in general have the benefit in my opionion,or not?
    01-02-12 11:02 PM
    Heads up guys! I JUST got notification that the updates have been approved! Look for them in app world soon...

Next version is nearly ready for release as well, there's lots of little fixes under the hood in the next release that should make the entire UI feel much more friendly. (Address bar copy and paste auto-select, options menu is greatly optimized, etc)
    Wolfgan, dablessing, djdnz and 3 others like this.
    01-03-12 01:26 PM
    Heads up guys! I JUST got notification that the updates have been approved! Look for them in app world soon...

Next version is nearly ready for release as well, there's lots of little fixes under the hood in the next release that should make the entire UI feel much more friendly. (Address bar copy and paste auto-select, options menu is greatly optimized, etc)
    Just downloaded v1.06! Love the tabs! Thank you HaTaX!!!
    01-03-12 01:36 PM
    Big Thanks., but not available yet here in Qu�bec.
    Last edited by Sergag; 01-03-12 at 01:51 PM.
    01-03-12 01:40 PM
716 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD