After the launch of OS2 beta, people have been rushing off, downloading APKs at random and then signing them to try out on their Playbook.

Great!

BUT there are now a huge number of Android Apps which have in effect been registered with RIM but under the name of someone who didn't create it!

Some of these have been posted on Crackberry, but a number have been kept to the signer, who may never share it, in effect locking the Android App from other users (without hacking the version number).

So after all this anarchy what happens next?

Will these apps get submitted to App World?
    Will RIM care too much about the signer not being the creator?
    What happens if the real owner wants their App back?

I think RIM have unwittingly created a Pandora's box by making the repackaging too easy!

Thoughts?

Rufus.
    technomensch likes this.
    10-20-11 11:02 AM
    You need a vendor account to be able to submit to App World. I expect RIM will be checking those applications and looking closely at whether you are the author of the app in question.

Besides, the same thing can happen much more easily in Android market where there are hardly any checks.
    10-20-11 12:27 PM
    So since somebody signed an App, no one else can submit it to App World?
    10-20-11 01:06 PM
    So since somebody signed an App, no one else can submit it to App World?
    I'm pretty sure it can be signed again and submitted. This is a good topic. I'm at DevCon, so I'll ask about it and report back.
    technomensch and klc99 like this.
    10-20-11 02:17 PM
    I found out that there will be NO "legal review" before apps are approved for sale in App World. I think this will become a problem.
    10-20-11 03:47 PM
    ...a number have been kept to the signer, who may never share it, in effect locking the Android App from other users (without hacking the version number).
    Example: We were trying to convert Tweetdeck, but were told it had already been signed. With this Pandora's box open, now we might never see it without hacking. Are now stuck, forever not being able to get it until OS2 is officially released and its in the AppWorld, or unless they release the BAR file?

I'm pretty sure it can be signed again and submitted. This is a good topic. I'm at DevCon, so I'll ask about it and report back.
    Can you please ask at DevCon about that? Is there any other workaround?
    Last edited by technomensch; 10-20-11 at 04:09 PM.
    10-20-11 04:06 PM
    BTW- can you see if you can get a release date for either the Torch 9860 or Curve 9380 for AT&T??

If they don't arrive by the time my contract is up, I'm probably going to Sprint.
    10-20-11 04:13 PM
    It can be signed again, it just has to be a different (newer) version than what was signed
    10-20-11 04:30 PM
    Example: We were trying to convert Tweetdeck, but were told it had already been signed. With this Pandora's box open, now we might never see it without hacking. Are now stuck, forever not being able to get it until OS2 is officially released and its in the AppWorld, or unless they release the BAR file?

Can you please ask at DevCon about that? Is there any other workaround?
    You will only get that message if YOU have signed it before on you account. We can all sign the same application and version as long as they are signed with different accounts.
    10-20-11 07:00 PM
    You will only get that message if YOU have signed it before on you account. We can all sign the same application and version as long as they are signed with different accounts.
    Are you sure? I've been unable to sign some that I haven't even touched
    The way I understood it was same version of the same exact app can't be signed again, even by a different user (but I based this on my experience)
    10-20-11 07:11 PM
    You can sign the same app.
    If it's already signed under that version number by you, you can bump the version number. The actual Android developer would, especially, have no trouble with this.

Worst case scenario, you aren't the dev, you accidently signed the app and can't sign it again and lost the signed bar. Simply use debug token instead -- debug token doesn't require signing.
    10-20-11 09:13 PM
    Are you sure? I've been unable to sign some that I haven't even touched
    The way I understood it was same version of the same exact app can't be signed again, even by a different user (but I based this on my experience)
    We can confirm this by you telling me or uploading an apk (and version) you have converted and signed and I will try signing.

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Android Tapatalk
    10-20-11 10:24 PM
    On the AIR side you can only have one occurance of the same signed package name / version combination ANYWHERE! The signing process checks with RIM if it already exists, and registers that combination along with the signature.

So for example if John and Joe both developed an application with the same name / version number, only one of them would be able to sign it. The other would get an error message about duplication version when it attempted to sign it.

On the tweetdeck issue, if you rename the BAR file to a zip, unzip it, locate the MANIFEST.MF file in the META-INF sub-dir, you should be able to change the application and package version numbers in Notepad. The just re-zip, rename to BAR and sign.

HTH - Rufus.
    10-21-11 06:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD