I just realized that side loading isnt possible with PB apps and will only be possible for the shortterm in android apps...

Is there expected to be a way to work around this (e.g. like a jailbroken ipad) or is RIM just to secure of a company to let this happen.

I am remembering how nice it was to test out if an app actually did what I thought it would on Android after realizing that many developers wont refund market purchases even if they are requested hours after the purchase.
    11-28-11 11:46 AM
    I just realized that side loading isnt possible with PB apps and will only be possible for the shortterm in android apps...

Is there expected to be a way to work around this (e.g. like a jailbroken ipad) or is RIM just to secure of a company to let this happen.

I am remembering how nice it was to test out if an app actually did what I thought it would on Android after realizing that many developers wont refund market purchases even if they are requested hours after the purchase.
    1. BlackBerry developers can't make refunds (even if we would like to do so). You need to contact blackberryappworldbilling@rim.com and request a refund directly.

2. The "sideloading" process uses documented methods used by PlayBook developers to test their apps. Anybody who wants to pretend to be a developer and agrees to the terms of use that apply to Tables OS SDK components can load apps directly on their PlayBook. (Yes I am aware that most people ignore the agreement)

3. I is unlikely that RIM will ever authorize 3rd parties to offer OTA installations for PB. Note also that it is an infringement of copyright to load apps on your PB unless you are authorized by the copyright owner. Therefore you cannot try before you buy a PB app unless that option is offered in App World. (And yes, I know that most people see this point as a non-issue)
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-28-11 12:24 PM
    So, to clarify, it is likely that people who have developer accounts will still be able to sideload android apps as well as PB apps post OS2 as we are doing now?

I'm not trying to start anything, just assessing whether I want to return my shiny new PB, it was quite frustrating on android buying 3 file managers just to find out none of them do what you want and I have no intention of getting locked into that world again.

Gino
    11-28-11 02:22 PM
    So, to clarify, it is likely that people who have developer accounts will still be able to sideload android apps as well as PB apps post OS2 as we are doing now?

I'm not trying to start anything, just assessing whether I want to return my shiny new PB, it was quite frustrating on android buying 3 file managers just to find out none of them do what you want and I have no intention of getting locked into that world again.

Gino
    There is no longer any such thing as a "developer account". All impediments to being a "developer" have been removed. In this completely open environment, there is absolutely no need for "jailbreaking" the device in order to load whatever you like (as long as it's supported by the OS). So if you know how to convert and/or load a random Android app (or "native" PB app for that matter) you are good to go.

By the way, you would be a lot more supportive of the platform by doing some actual creative development instead of just "borrowing" other peoples work and self-signing it. This was, after all, RIM's intention in the first place - the platform needs lots more ethical devs just like me. I'm sure that when you have finished your first masterpiece you will treat customers right by offering a trial version.
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 11-28-11 at 03:26 PM.
    11-28-11 03:23 PM
    Of course! Im making my first one in flash (for android) right now, and I'd be happy if someone would dl it for free anyways. Just a choose your own adventure style story book for kids. Not sure how to configure it to make .bar's, probably look into that once its done,or i guess i could just convert it like ive converted other peoples. (duh hah)
    11-28-11 04:04 PM
    Of course! Im making my first one in flash (for android) right now, and I'd be happy if someone would dl it for free anyways. Just a choose your own adventure style story book for kids. Not sure how to configure it to make .bar's, probably look into that once its done,or i guess i could just convert it like ive converted other peoples. (duh hah)
    Welcome to the club.

Here is the resources page for Android development for the PB:
    https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/android/

And here is a link to the official RIM support forum for Android developers:
    BlackBerry Plug-in for Android

If you are developing an AIR app, it might be better to create a "native" AIR app for PB:
    BlackBerry - Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR Development Resources
    11-28-11 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD