Having been frustrated at OS 2.0 and the Android implementation I decided to sell my PB. As a last resort and thanks to Crackberry I had a bash at sideloading and its really easy on my Mac so I loaded all my favoutite apps and took the PB off eBay. Now I'm plagued with App Player hanging. So the PB is back on eBay.

I have to say RIM have blown it this time for good with PB as far as the man in the street is concerned. Too much effort. I have an HTC Flyer that cost 200 sterling and just works out of the box. Hardware not as nice but it is actually of some use.
    03-03-12 05:11 AM
    Enjoy your new device ...
    But be aware that sideloading is cheating and moreover ... it's putting your PB under high perfs degradation risks (I precise that it won't be the case 100%, but most of sideloaders reported issues, so far I can tell).
    Android environment is to me kinda "cherry over the cake", and if you were waiting for the best from Android, I'm afraid you went the wrong direction.

P.S: the main purpose here is to remind that Android emulation has not been designed for sideloading and sideloaded apps are, by nature, almost unpredictable regarding perfs and issues: "Do it at your own risk" stuff.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-03-12 at 05:28 AM.
    Dlanod likes this.
    03-03-12 05:26 AM
    Having been frustrated at OS 2.0 and the Android implementation I decided to sell my PB. As a last resort and thanks to Crackberry I had a bash at sideloading and its really easy on my Mac so I loaded all my favoutite apps and took the PB off eBay. Now I'm plagued with App Player hanging. So the PB is back on eBay.

I have to say RIM have blown it this time for good with PB as far as the man in the street is concerned. Too much effort. I have an HTC Flyer that cost 200 sterling and just works out of the box. Hardware not as nice but it is actually of some use.
    If you wanted a tablet that runs Android apps flawlessly then you should have purchased an Android tab from the start. Like Superfly said, it's just a cherry on the cake - something to augment an incredible device and you don't have to use the android player. No one is forcing you to.

Enjoy your new device ...
    But be aware that sideloading is cheating and moreover ... it's putting your PB under high perfs degradation risks (I precise that it won't be the case 100%, but most of sideloaders reported issues, so far I can tell).
    Android environment is to me kinda "cherry over the cake", and if you were waiting for the best from Android, I'm afraid you went the wrong direction.

P.S: the main purpose here is to remind that Android emulation has not been designed for sideloading and sideloaded apps are, by nature, almost unpredictable regarding perfs and issues: "Do it at your own risk" stuff.
    The only time sideloading is cheating is when apps that are copyrighted are sideloaded without permission from the developer. A few developers make apps and permit people to sideload them (eg KermED's Desktop Browser and LocalBar when it worked)
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-03-12 05:54 AM
    Wow what a long forum post.. Soo many others must feel the same way..
    03-03-12 06:37 AM
    I think i have atleast 25 to 30 andriod apps (mixture of sideloads and app world) and my playbook is fine.
    03-03-12 06:44 AM
    My kindle app is VERY unstable.
    chela9900 likes this.
    03-03-12 08:04 AM
    There are some PB strong defender here regarding whether It is true or not always reminds me of Steve Jobs word " don't hold that way"
    03-03-12 08:10 AM
    The only time sideloading is cheating is when apps that are copyrighted are sideloaded without permission from the developer. A few developers make apps and permit people to sideload them (eg KermED's Desktop Browser and LocalBar when it worked)
    (Liked for the whole post)
    For the "cheating" I had "tricking" in mind for the main part but as I wrote before, when I see threads like "give me apks, i'll sign & convert to bar" growing like flowers in forum(s), I wonder how, exactly, the developers are aware of / agree that. I know some made real caution to copyrights, so my word was somehow excessive, but it reflects a general consideration. Hope those who care about (c) won't feel targeted (they may even agree ?).
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-03-12 at 10:38 AM.
    03-03-12 10:35 AM
    Converting a .apk to a .bar doesn't change the .apk at all, it just makes it so the playbook knows how to install the .apk.
    Developers really should care about apks being converted anymore than android apps being run by someone on a phone and transfered to an android tablet. That is, unless you haven't bought the app and you should have to, you're ok.
    03-03-12 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD