Is it safe to install .bar files using the sideload app instructions that have been posted on crackberry for the playbook? Would the playbook still function normally?
    11-06-11 11:49 AM
    Is it safe to install .bar files using the sideload app instructions that have been posted on crackberry for the playbook? Would the playbook still function normally?
    Go ahead, nothing bad will happen to your PB, i've installed upto 50 .bar files so far. I've faced no problems. Use LocalBar app to install bar files.
    annamarialuann likes this.
    11-06-11 01:20 PM
    It is possible for someone to create malware or an evil app that could damage your pb.

But afaik no one has yet. It helps to have trusted sources or a reason to trust them though.

Avoid only one thing : Android Player for OS1. It can corrupt your application files (cant backup any more) or it leaves trace android runtime files (when you upgrade to os2 you cant use android based bar files until you security wipe your device).
    11-06-11 01:51 PM
    Limetrip how do i get the LocalBar? Never done this before.
    11-06-11 02:07 PM
    Limetrip how do i get the LocalBar? Never done this before.
    We have a few forum posts on it in the Playbook Apps section.
    But you can find the localbar installer and ddpb installere here : Welcome to the BBXTeam Website

use the ddpb installer first

it lets you sideload from your pc

Then you can sideload the localbar installer. that will let you install bar files direct from your playbook.

in both circumstances you want to put your pb in dev mode
    11-06-11 02:21 PM
    Ty you KermEd
    11-06-11 02:31 PM
    The sideloaded apps function in all respects identically to apps installed from App World.

They're not reviewed by RIM, however, and some people believe that some of RIM's testing is focused on security concerns, possibly including checking for certain types of attack which might attempt to violate your privacy (steal your data etc). I don't think anyone outside the company knows for sure, as they don't seem to document what they do in any fashion. Probably best to assume nothing, and treat App World apps the same as sideloaded ones, which means if you don't trust the developer, don't install the app.
    FF22 and annamarialuann like this.
    11-06-11 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD