05-01-12 12:51 AM
131 123 ...
tools
    Reading some recent posts about people complaining about costs of apps on Playbook, getting "bored" and so on. I have 2 playbooks, also an app developer, and really making me SICK to hear these people. Time to hear the OTHER side of the story!

Frankly, I am shocked at this "entitlement internet" generation. Expecting FREE and INSTANT. How did we breed such a culture? When did it all start?

Apps are CHEAP! Are you kidding me? $1.99 or $2.99 for HOURS of portable entertainment. You spend more on that Starbucks coffee that takes 3 seconds to make out of 20 cents ingredients, which you consume in 5 minutes! Since when did people get the idea that EVERY app should be free? Or that ads should pay for everything? Or that all platforms are equal in terms of development effort/time/returns?

Take the $300 you SAVED by buying a Playbook instead of that iPad and spend it on APPS! You will have 100 paid games at $2.99! Heck, you could even SPLURGE and shell out $4.99 (who can afford that!) and get 60 *amazing* apps! You will help all those hard-working developers who are making your life a bit more interesting, or saving you time, increasing your productivity or fun.

People don't realize how much time and effort is involved in making good software. Today's developers are pricing low because they make up in VOLUME and mass-adoption!

It was not long ago that stuff cost $10, $20 even $50 for a game or software on a regular computer. The smartphones and tablet apps are reaching complexity of PC games but are a STEAL!!! You can't buy a PC game for that cheap anywhere.

Example, I am releasing a $1.99 app that I hope will get 15,000 downloads, that will make up about $30,000 salary for 4 or 5 months of hard work and debugging. If I make 2 good apps per year like this, I earn say $60k per year. That is worrth my while.... Meanwhile I've taken ALL the risk in spending time making the app and if it doesn't sell I'm dead. No more developers equals no more apps!

On the OTHER hand, you shelling out $2 for a game that you spend HOURS playing... about the cost of a cup of coffee you consume in 5 minutes.... but you get tons of enjoyment!

Even if all you do is play games, buy a $4.99 game every week for a year, still under $300. And I am playing some $4.99 games and I know you can spend a month playing and trying to beat all the levels. So you have to be seriously disturbed if you need a new game every week, and still complaining about the costs.

Aaaarggghhh ! :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    04-27-12 03:20 PM
    Very well said...I feel exactly the same way! Cheers!!
    04-27-12 03:26 PM
    Amen brother!! Unfortunaly many people's don't know what logical thinking is! ''Their mind is kinda trapped in the closet''

fbloise likes this.
    04-27-12 03:27 PM
    And some are even cheaper. If I remember correctly What's Up is only $.99 and my granddaughter and I have an awesome time checking out the stars with it. You can't please everyone I guess.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-27-12 03:37 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I fully understand your side and always have understood the side of a developer, but there is one group of users that pretty much can only benefit from free apps. I'm currently 17, don't have a job (not from lack of trying though) and my parents don't feel like giving out credit card info for a few apps. I usually have to money in cash to pick up a few apps but that doesn't really help does it? If there was a way to buy a card at my local walmart to buy apps then I would.
    Premium1 and Hawnz like this.
    04-27-12 03:55 PM
    Good summary of added value per cost. Maybe the complainers are most basement trolls?
    04-27-12 04:04 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I fully understand your side and always have understood the side of a developer, but there is one group of users that pretty much can only benefit from free apps. I'm currently 17, don't have a job (not from lack of trying though) and my parents don't feel like giving out credit card info for a few apps. I usually have to money in cash to pick up a few apps but that doesn't really help does it? If there was a way to buy a card at my local walmart to buy apps then I would.
    You can at WalMart. But you have to apply a minimum of $20 to the card. Then you can use it like a credit card. Oh, and it costs $3 to own the moneycard.
    04-27-12 04:04 PM
    You can it's called a debit card. Add some cash use it like a credit card till empty. Great way to get into the realm of money management for the future.
    04-27-12 04:06 PM
    You can at WalMart. But you have to apply a minimum of $20 to the card. Then you can use it like a credit card. Oh, and it costs $3 to own the moneycard.
    Don't forget that you can get pre-paid Visa cards at banks also. Shucks, there are lots of brick and mortar stores where you can do this.

Or you know...You can complain on an internet forum. Cause that's about as productive as screaming in space

Disclaimer: Screaming in space is not recommended unless you are Captain Kirk in which case your scream echos in spaces because you're just that full of awesome.
    Marty_LK and Chaplain_Clancy like this.
    04-27-12 04:07 PM
    You can get a Prepaid VISA/MasterCard.

And as a little PSA, I'd advise everyone to do the same if they are online shopping, quite frankly I think it's a bit disturbing that people enter their personal credit card numbers into these services point blank, sure you can always go to a reclaims/fraud department if anything happens but hey better to be safe than sorry

Back on Topic: Some great apps are free as well, some are paid. It's exceedingly rare to find an app that's free with no ads or in game purchases on Android (Still don't think in app ads on the PlayBook work at the moment).

Computer software isn't always free, and by definition your PlayBook is a computer
    04-27-12 04:14 PM
    jonathon94, open a paypal account and open a free savings account. Link this account to the paypal account and there you go, no fuss no muss and no theft. The fact that you are 17 is not a reason to be ignorant of the services available to you.
    04-27-12 04:42 PM
    I haven't really seen any complaints about the price of apps lately. Though I could have missed the
    Having said that, I agree I have no problem paying for apps. I have a TON of paid apps on my 9790. Not so many on my pb yet only 4 or 5. I just wished there were demos for apps. The are a few I haven't bought because of no trial versions and I haven't read enough reviews to pull the trigger. And I don't usually go by app world reviews since they're not usually very helpful. I wait till I see an article on here or read some reviews on CB about the app, while fishing through the useless "this apps sucks" with no explanation.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no problem buying apps as long as I have done my research first.
    I like to support developers for their hard work and quality products they put out in hopes that they'll continue to do so.
    04-27-12 04:54 PM
    Disclaimer: Screaming in space is not recommended unless you are Captain Kirk in which case your scream echos in spaces because you're just that full of awesome.
    Kirk isn't awesome enough. Picard's way more awesome

Let the flame wars begin.
    04-27-12 04:56 PM
    I agree OP. I do think some of it is not having the same free apps/games to download or as many as other platforms have. What is not known or thought about is that the pb OS is still very young in comparison to the others.

I hope some day it will also have more free versions of apps like the others do. Even on windows if I install a free version of an app and I use it and like it if they have a paid version or a donate I usually do.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    04-27-12 04:56 PM
    At the risk of being vilified, I'll share some thoughts.

On the whole I agree with the OP that apps are cheap and to whine about their cost is, in most cases, pretty lame.

However, the BlackBerry appworld IS very over priced when compared to the Apple store and the Android market. That is just a fact. It also has a weaker selection of apps to choose from. So one could argue that Appworld is more expensive and has less quality.

Now, I myself have found many fine apps in Appworld.

Developers have the right to ask whatever price they choose for their product. But the app market is pretty consumer driven, so you need to be competitive.

I agree that there is a crazy sense of entitlement in the mobile tech community. This is a byproduct of our rampant western consumerism. Unfortunately, the masses tend to be the ones who get to dictate what is 'reasonable'. So if the consumer market thinks that your $3 app is expensive, that DOES matter, because they won't buy it.

I think we have SOME valid reasons to complain about Appworld. Let's use Angry Birds as an example. We get charged significantly more for it, and we don't even get all of the features/updates that other platforms get. That's really irritating. There are alot of games that are in the $5-7 range in Appworld that my wife can get on her iPad for $3-4. I find that annoying, and a bit discriminatory.

Just some thoughts.
    Akuji_ism, digtech, moss27 and 3 others like this.
    04-27-12 05:03 PM
    Best thread I've read in a while. 5 stars for your efforts. Good job OP! Rate appropriately peoples.

Edit: Give it up folks; thread has been up for over 2 hours, and as soon as I rate it 5 stars, within seconds a malcontent with arrested development gave it 1 star.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 04-27-12 at 05:13 PM.
    04-27-12 05:08 PM
    ...but there is one group of users that pretty much can only benefit from free apps. I'm currently 17, don't have a job (not from lack of trying though) and my parents don't feel like giving out credit card info for a few apps.
    You might have heard of this electronic payment service called PayPal which allows you to integrate with your credit card(s) OR your bank account, and BlackBerry AppWorld offers PayPal as one of the payment methods. I prefer PayPal simply because only one vendor has my credit card or bank account information making it easier to identify any leaks of such information if it ever occurred. Those prepaid credit cards are a rip-off in most situations.
    04-27-12 05:12 PM
    At the risk of being vilified, I'll share some thoughts.

On the whole I agree with the OP that apps are cheap and to whine about their cost is, in most cases, pretty lame.

However, the BlackBerry appworld IS very over priced when compared to the Apple store and the Android market. That is just a fact. It also has a weaker selection of apps to choose from. So one could argue that Appworld is more expensive and has less quality.

Now, I myself have found many fine apps in Appworld.

Developers have the right to ask whatever price they choose for their product. But the app market is pretty consumer driven, so you need to be competitive.

I agree that there is a crazy sense of entitlement in the mobile tech community. This is a byproduct of our rampant western consumerism. Unfortunately, the masses tend to be the ones who get to dictate what is 'reasonable'. So if the consumer market thinks that your $3 app is expensive, that DOES matter, because they won't buy it.

I think we have SOME valid reasons to complain about Appworld. Let's use Angry Birds as an example. We get charged significantly more for it, and we don't even get all of the features/updates that other platforms get. That's really irritating. There are alot of games that are in the $5-7 range in Appworld that my wife can get on her iPad for $3-4. I find that annoying, and a bit discriminatory.

Just some thoughts.
    No you are right many apps for the pb do cost more than their counter parts on other systems. I think the resoning is that since there is a smaller user base they are trying recoup the cost of development? That and I think bb users have historically always paid more for apps on the BB so they figure they can do the same on the PB? These are just guesses though.
    04-27-12 05:22 PM
    My issue with prices is that a lot of cross platform apps get new levels/content after paying only .99 cents but we pay 1.99-4.99 for the same app and we either don't get the Updates or we get them 6 months or more later.

If you dev's want my money then treat me the same. Look at Angry Birds!!! They don't even acknowledge the PB platform on their website or on the support Page and all versions have new levels on all platforms yet PB is still to get anything.

How about cut the rope! It's been updated at least 2x on PB but we haven't even received the Level updates that were available on other platforms months before it even hit the PB.

Tell me why I had to pay $2.99? It's. 99 on every other platform and get new levels constantly.

I'm happy to pay for apps but when I get scammed I'm not going to be happy. I am more concerned about how people around here complain that there is no angry birds, cut the rope, PvZ etc etc and then when they come everyone here complains they don't want it and they suck. The attitude in the BB community stinks for the most part and the reason most dev's are staying away is probably because of the attitudes of the community.

I don't have any sympathy for a dev that charges more to us PB users. Oh and if your going to charge more than .99 for your app it better do what it claims, look good and be good. I'm not going to pay for something that looks like it belongs on my Atari 800 from the 80's. The chess apps come to mind.
    musical1806 and moss27 like this.
    04-27-12 05:23 PM
    Yes 5 star thread
    I actually find the games cheap
    Great little war game cost me $5 dollars and offered me 10-12hrs
    Plants vs Zombies $2.99 for 8hrs of entertainment
    so $8 dollars for 18-20 hrs of entertainment.
    let me compare to recent PS3 purchases
    Assassin's Creed Revelations and Batman arkam
    Cost me $118 and offered me around 20-25hrs.
    hmmmm that $8 dollars seems cheap now
    hpjrt likes this.
    04-27-12 05:28 PM
    So you have about a million people who bought the Playbook because it was a bargain, and now you're wondering about the cheapskate/bargain hunter mentality?
    bobauckland, tresvn and pri79269 like this.
    04-27-12 05:37 PM
    My issue with prices is that a lot of cross platform apps get new levels/content after paying only .99 cents but we pay 1.99-4.99 for the same app and we either don't get the Updates or we get them 6 months or more later.
    It was only 99 cents because you forgot that you bought these games on time-limited specials.

Right now, Dead Space is on special on the Playbook for $3.99 vs. $9.99 on the iPad. Spider-Man Total Mayhem is $2.99 on the Playbook and $6.99 on the iPad.
    Marty_LK and taylor96 like this.
    04-27-12 05:37 PM
    Truthfully, I'm sick and tired of just hearing the word "apps." Maybe because this word has been associated with mostly nothing but negativity and complaints, I really cannot stand hearing/reading it anymore.

Either way, I agree with what you said
    hpjrt and Princepia like this.
    04-27-12 05:43 PM
    This generates nothing but flamewars... Ok so you're a devs and it's a tough world out there (but appealing to the fanboys is a low blow). These sort of thread tend to result in something as productive as openly hater threads (and though my trend of posting here is more negative than I'd like it to be I'll always stear away from doing such).

There will probably be reprisals to this post but I won't bother replying.

PS: Know what's amazing? FLOSS.
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-27-12 05:47 PM
    This generates nothing but flamewars... Ok so you're a devs and it's a tough world out there (but appealing to the fanboys is a low blow). These sort of thread tend to result in something as productive as openly hater threads (and though my trend of posting here is more negative than I'd like it to be I'll always stear away from doing such).

There will probably be reprisals to this post but I won't bother replying.

PS: Know what's amazing? FLOSS.
    I don't know the thread seems to be going ok for the most part so far. Maybe if we stop talking about the thread itself things will stay cool? Or did we alread jiynx it lol?

Anyway, yeah like I said it sucks paying more for the same apps / games as othe platforms but as someone pointed out sometimes ppl bought them on sale on other apps. Th I'm sure that's not the case all the time. I also think some of the points I made earilier come into play as well.
    04-27-12 05:56 PM
131 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD