Here's why trial versions are a good thing...

On Saturday I saw an app for the PlayBook that allows you to print files. All of the reviews were positive so I spent the $1.99 and installed it. Followed the instructions and installed the file on my PC needed for the communication. The program worked fine the several times I used it on Saturday but hasn't worked since. It keeps asking me for the IP address of the PC and even after providing it nothing happens. I tried it this morning on my work PC and it doesn't work.

I will attempt to contact the developer but for now it was a $1.99 wasted.

APP: Print by Daniel Bigham
    04-30-12 05:36 AM
    Here's why trial versions are a good thing...

On Saturday I saw an app for the PlayBook that allows you to print files. All of the reviews were positive so I spent the $1.99 and installed it. Followed the instructions and installed the file on my PC needed for the communication. The program worked fine the several times I used it on Saturday but hasn't worked since. It keeps asking me for the IP address of the PC and even after providing it nothing happens. I tried it this morning on my work PC and it doesn't work.

I will attempt to contact the developer but for now it was a $1.99 wasted.

APP: Print by Daniel Bigham
    I think the developer who makes TabletTV takes the best approach (IMO). He offers a functional free version, then a pro version for a good price. With iOS, this sort of thing is common. With App World, not as much. I don't care if an app is 'only $2.99', I still don't want to buy something untested.
    04-30-12 06:16 AM
    Not all of us spend 5$ on Starbucks coffee everyday, grandpa. Sure, there's hipsters that do, but they are a minority.

Im frugal with what I spend my money on. If its not worth it, I find cheaper, or dont bother with it. Since when does being frugal with money equal "instant gratification"?

Speaking of instant gratification, you're reaching pretty high if you think you're going to get rich off one app. You're arrogant to trash talk our generation for questioning prices and quality instead of just passively accepting it.

And since when does a 3 dollar file manager app equal hours of fun?
    A: I can just get a free version somewhere else, like Air browser
    B: If I want something fun, I have a Nintendo 3DS that's portable and plays real games.
    04-30-12 07:00 AM
    OP, is your title supposed to read "Sick of Game App cost complainers" or "Sick of Business App cost complainers"? Have you tried to purchase a decent remote desktop application? Are you going to purchase all that's available and stick to one that you like? Do you know how much that's going to cost you?
    04-30-12 08:18 AM
    Wonderful postings on this thread... I have been keeping up with the reading and LISTENING to the people who are complaining about the costs and lack of trial versions. To this end, I have decided that for my own app developments:

1. I am releasing a FREE TRIAL/TRY/DEMO version of my app:

It will be functional and maybe have a few less options, but still usable and have the basic things that people will want to do. It will allow everyone to test it out and if they like it, they can purchase the "Pro" or "Full" or "Extreme" version. However, if they don't like it, they haven't felt like they blew money on something just to realize it wasn't good for them. Some people will just use the FREE Trial and that will be good enough for them.

2. I will release a $0.99 PRO/FULL/EXTREME version of my app:

The $0.99 is priced at the lowest tier for the RIM App World. So it is not going to bankrupt anybody. And the user would have had a chance to try out the Free Trial version before, so if they have no excuse for feeling bad about purchasing the $0.99 version. They will know exactly what they bought. The only thing missing that the PRO/FULL/EXTREME version would have is additional levels, themes, sounds, chapters, characters... whatever.

Now I fully realize that some people will NEVER buy an app. It is just not something they would think about. Even if they really want to play an awesome game that could keep them entertained for months, they will not shell out $3.99 for it, EVER. They would rather keep scouring AppWorld for free stuff. And that's ok. At least I will offer to them my limited but free version of the app, which may be enough for them.

But for those people who actually DO buy apps, having a free (but limited) preview would make it easier to justify the purchase of the FULL app. So I am hoping that I will get MORE sales because of the TRIAL version, and not just lose a bunch of people who can get what they need out of the TRIAL and never bother to get the FULL version. That is something we can't predict... same as whether you will get double the people buying at $0.99 or half the people buying at $1.99 = same difference. You never know what that price curve is going to be!
    moss27 and torndownunit like this.
    04-30-12 02:10 PM
    I think you're making a good decision that will allow people to try it who may not have considered it if they had to pay first. As long as the paid version carries extra value/features, I think you will see success with sales if it is a worthwhile product overall, compared to having a higher price point or offering no trial/lite version.
    04-30-12 11:51 PM
131 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD