Time limited offer is $3.99. And normal $7.99. It's not misleading 50% discount.
    There's post WAS a bit misleading because it referred to people being wrong to compare apps that are on special to regular priced apps.

Then it did exactly that by say Dead Space cost 9.99 on iPad and only 3.99 on pb. Which is misleading, because that is a special price.

The post does exacly what the poster pointed out that people shouldn't do, compare a regular price to a special price.

Just saying.
    04-28-12 05:49 PM
    I don't even own a Playbook (or any other tablet) and I'm sick of it as well. These types of people are obviously mentally deficient is some sort of way.

I do tons of research (even without owning a tablet) and I know that the price of apps on the Playbook are the same as apps on iOS / Android tablets for the most part. It's like when Angry Birds came out and people were up in arms about the price.... I seriously couldn't stop laughing reading all the "complaints" about the price.
    04-28-12 06:09 PM
    I don't even own a Playbook (or any other tablet) and I'm sick of it as well. These types of people are obviously mentally deficient is some sort of way.
    They can't help themselves, they were born that way. They would complain if the apps were all free; and I'm just not sayin'.
    04-28-12 06:16 PM
    The OP gets my...

04-28-12 06:31 PM

I do tons of research (even without owning a tablet) and I know that the price of apps on the Playbook are the same as apps on iOS / Android tablets for the most part. It's like when Angry Birds came out and people were up in arms about the price.... I seriously couldn't stop laughing reading all the "complaints" about the price.
    Sigh.

I hate to break it to you, but your research leaves a bit to be desired. I bought and downloaded all of the angry birds games onto my kids ipads, and not only were they cheaper, they had more levels than me. I love how just because someone is ofa contrary opinion go you they are suddenly 'mentally deficient. Steller attitude right there.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that just because a pb owner has some gripes that they are 'bashing'. I have bought dozens of apps for my PB. I love the thing, but I am not about to fall into the trap of thinking it's perfect, because it is not.
    moss27 and bobauckland like this.
    04-28-12 06:31 PM
    They can't help themselves, they were born that way. They would complain if the apps were all free; and I'm just not sayin'.
    Yep that's another Steller attitude toward a fellow human being.

For the record, I never complained about having to pay for apps, if you actually read my posts in this thread you would know that, but I guess that would be too much hard work for you to actually read the posts rather than make offensive blanket statements and misrepresent other people. Yep that's just awesome.
    moss27 and bobauckland like this.
    04-28-12 06:34 PM
    Sigh.

I hate to break it to you, but your research leaves a bit to be desired. I bought and downloaded all of the angry birds games onto my kids ipads, and not only were they cheaper, they had more levels than me. I love how just because someone is ofa contrary opinion go you they are suddenly 'mentally deficient. Steller attitude right there.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that just because a pb owner has some gripes that they are 'bashing'. I have bought dozens of apps for my PB. I love the thing, but I am not about to fall into the trap of thinking it's perfect, because it is not.
    Angry Birds is one specific game where the previous releases currently are a little more expensive. But on average, the same game on both the iPad and PB has will be more expensive on the iPad. I know this as a fact because I have an iPad and can't believe the prices I see versus the iPhone app prices.

Here's another "one specific game" for you: Dead Space. It's $10 bucks on the iPad. Guess how much the PB version is? $4
    04-28-12 06:39 PM
    Angry Birds is one specific game where the previous releases currently are a little more expensive. But on average, the same game on both the iPad and PB has will be more expensive on the iPad. I know this as a fact because I have an iPad and can't believe the prices I see versus the iPhone app prices.

Here's another "one specific game" for you: Dead Space. It's $10 bucks on the iPad. Guess how much the PB version is? $4
    Incorrect. It is $8. The $4 price is a special, remember? And I'm not interested in defending one platform over another. I don't own an iPad. I do know that many of the apps I have bought for my PB WE'RE cheaper for iPad, because I looked at my wife's, and that irritates me.

Does it make me wish I had an iPad? Nope.

Yes, the iPad vs iphone prices difference is bad, my wife has an iphone as well, and she complains all he time.

Anyway, I'm sick of this. If you want to sit in a cocoon and tear down anyone who dares suggest that not everything in playbook world is perfect, that's fine.

I'm over it. If wanting more apps and better quality / prices is what makes someone's troll than I'm a troll, whatever
    04-28-12 06:54 PM
    Incorrect. It is $8. The $4 price is a special, remember? And I'm not interested in defending one platform over another. I don't own an iPad. I do know that many of the apps I have bought for my PB WE'RE cheaper for iPad, because I looked at my wife's, and that irritates me.

Does it make me wish I had an iPad? Nope.

Yes, the iPad vs iphone prices difference is bad, my wife has an iphone as well, and she complains all he time.

Anyway, I'm sick of this. If you want to sit in a cocoon and tear down anyone who dares suggest that not everything in playbook world is perfect, that's fine.

I'm over it. If wanting more apps and better quality / prices is what makes someone's troll than I'm a troll, whatever
    Doesn't matter that it's a special. Doesn't matter in the least. People are paying less than half the price for the app on the PB than the iPad. Even at "non-sale" price the iPad version is still higher. And this is the case with nearly all of the apps I use on my systems.

You don't have to defend the system, but the rest of us are doing everything we can to keep the PB and RIM from going bankrupt. If it was about the iPad or Android system, they aren't anywhere near going to the grave. But when the advantage genuinely belongs to the PB, talk like what you are saying serves only to harm and aid the system and RIM going into the grave.
    04-28-12 07:01 PM
    Doesn't matter that it's a special. Doesn't matter in the least. People are paying less than half the price for the app on the PB than the iPad. Even at "non-sale" price the iPad version is still higher. And this is the case with nearly all of the apps I use on my systems.

You don't have to defend the system, but the rest of us are doing everything we can to keep the PB and RIM from going bankrupt. If it was about the iPad or Android system, they aren't anywhere near going to the grave. But when the advantage genuinely belongs to the PB, talk like what you are saying serves only to harm and aid the system and RIM going into the grave.
    Lol

The rest of us?

So all the $$ I have spent on my PB is somehow of lesser value to RIM? Wow, okay.
    04-28-12 07:06 PM
    Even if it's only a few bucks I would like to know what I'm buying.

At the moment with the rating system when developers can easily let delete comments/ratings which he/she don't like it's not possible.

Btw I would like to have tags in appworld and a better search function as for me it is like I miss a lot apps as I don't find them.

Just wanted to mention it I don't crack or anything but do not buy many apps. Would love to change that. Give me good apps and I give good money
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 04-28-12 at 07:13 PM.
    04-28-12 07:08 PM
    Lol

The rest of us?

So all the $$ I have spent on my PB is somehow of lesser value to RIM? Wow, okay.
    It isn't just about the money spent. Word of mouth has an impact.
    04-28-12 07:10 PM
    It isn't just about the money spent. Word of mouth has an impact.
    And what makes you think that you know ANYTHING about what I say to other people regarding the Playbook?

Not that it's any of your business, but I tell EVERYONE how much I love it, and how much more of a tool it is than my wife's iPad. Don't make the mistake of confusing my gripes about apps with not liking the pb. Of course if you read a fair percentage of my posts around the place you'd know that I love the thing, but that'd be too hard. It's far simpler to just jump on everyone. Also, the people who say we have a troll problem here are right, but there is also another problem, and that is the attitude of many members, who rather than debating or discussing theissues, spend their time being insulting and offensive to people who do not fit their world view.

Those people make me way madder than the trolls who come herd to bash blackberry, because I would have that they were above it. But no, see a dissenting opinion,and that person must be intellectually deficient, or cheap, or not understand how to use their device, or they should buy something else and go away.

Yep, that's a great way too treat others.
    04-28-12 07:23 PM
    And what makes you think that you know ANYTHING about what I say to other people regarding the Playbook?
    Hmmm...let me think about that a little while. Oh wait - I think maybe what you have said here has let me know what you say.
    04-28-12 07:26 PM
    Hmmm...let me think about that a little while. Oh wait - I think maybe what you have said here has let me know what you say.
    So you made an assumption. Well you were way off the mark there.

I thought this would be the proper place to share issues/questions/gripes about our devices. The only people I share those with are my wife and with fellow pb owners.

Is that okay with you?
    04-28-12 07:29 PM

Android, iOS and PlayBook devices in our home.
    Apps are generally more bountiful, longer, and cheaper on all other platforms.
    Pricing strategy for non US customers is better on everything other than the PlayBook.
    Diversity of apps and quality of them is also better on the whole on other systems other than the PlayBook.
    Heck, my 9900 has more functional and diverse apps.
    The app situation is killing RIM, and will be a major problem with BB10, people who think ignoring this and pretending like its not a problem are making things worse because RIM is misled and potential customers coming across this site will be disillusioned.
    sashlon likes this.
    04-28-12 07:33 PM
    Android, iOS and PlayBook devices in our home.
    Apps are generally more bountiful, longer, and cheaper on all other platforms.
    Pricing strategy for non US customers is better on everything other than the PlayBook.
    Diversity of apps and quality of them is also better on the whole on other systems other than the PlayBook.
    Heck, my 9900 has more functional and diverse apps.
    The app situation is killing RIM, and will be a major problem with BB10, people who think ignoring this and pretending like its not a problem are making things worse because RIM is misled and potential customers coming across this site will be disillusioned.
    So it isn't true that what I'm experiencing with my PB is the best tablet experience? Disillusioned is what they will be when they read stories like you and the other person are saying. I own an iPad also and can confirm that you *cannot* get all of the same apps for it natively that you can on the iPhone. And do not try to say that you can because those iPhone apps will install on the iPad. They will install but look horrible and pixelated at the magnified level.

RIM is doing bad financially right now, everybody and even their dogs know that. No mystery. But that does not mean the PB experience is bad. I find it to be the absolute best tablet on the market...yes, better than Android tablets and the iPad. That is coming from an actual customer, me. I want the PB to survive because you *cannot* have a better experience that what it offers on *anything else*. What the PB offers is a superb UI, OS and hardware. If RIM goes out, I and everyone else who love this particular tablet experience will be screwed because Android doesn't provide it. Apple doesn't provide it. Right now only RIM is providing that excellent experience.
    04-28-12 08:38 PM
    So any kind of non positive opinion/concern/issue/problem should be kept secret for the sake of RIM?

I agree that the pb is a fantastic tablet. I take it everywhere I go. But RIM have failed to support it properly unfortunately. I truly hope they get their act together and hurry up with Cascades and BB10. I hope they can get developers on board.

But the world is not standing still.
    04-28-12 08:50 PM
    So any kind of non positive opinion/concern/issue/problem should be kept secret for the sake of RIM?

I agree that the pb is a fantastic tablet. I take it everywhere I go. But RIM have failed to support it properly unfortunately. I truly hope they get their act together and hurry up with Cascades and BB10. I hope they can get developers on board.

But the world is not standing still.
    It is RIM's fault. It's the fault of the iPad and Android tablets. The PB system is so different that potential PB buyers play with one at the store and immediately call it junk because they can't get it to do what they are accustomed to doing on the wildly popular and known Android tablets and the iPad. RIM, instead of playing it safe and developing a tablet that would be much more familiar to the common buyer, made a bold and intelligent decision about the PB to make it actually different and better. They intelligently designed the PB rather than make it a glorified artistic piece. RIM chose the type of backplate it uses combined with a square side and a very slightly raised front lip that allows the thumb to keep a sure grasp on the front while the fingers adhere to the non-slip rubberized backplate. They chose to put dual stereo speaker on the actual front of the device rather than on the sides or bottom. They chose to put a wide front screen bezel instead of the "oh-my-goodness-idn't-it-beautiful" thin bezel so they could reliably make the swipe UI work.

Everything about the PB screams intelligent and purposeful design. But because the common user nowadays is more accustomed to the iPad and Android way of doing things, they shun a perfectly wonderful system like the PB because of unfamiliarity with it. Could RIM do a better job making people more aware of the PB's way of doing things? Of course. But that doesn't immediately guarantee success when most of those Android fanboys love to bad-mouth anything that isn't Android. Same goes for the iPad fanboys.
    04-28-12 09:06 PM
    Go to wallmart - buy a prepaid credit card. solved.

if you do buy music, stop for a while, spend that on an app. be happy with what you have.

(stepping off my soapbox)

If you think a person with little money to spend should get a prepaid credit card is mad. The fees are just too high.
    04-28-12 09:12 PM
    It is RIM's fault. It's the fault of the iPad and Android tablets. The PB system is so different that potential PB buyers play with one at the store and immediately call it junk because they can't get it to do what they are accustomed to doing on the wildly popular and known Android tablets and the iPad. RIM, instead of playing it safe and developing a tablet that would be much more familiar to the common buyer, made a bold and intelligent decision about the PB to make it actually different and better. They intelligently designed the PB rather than make it a glorified artistic piece. RIM chose the type of backplate it uses combined with a square side and a very slightly raised front lip that allows the thumb to keep a sure grasp on the front while the fingers adhere to the non-slip rubberized backplate. They chose to put dual stereo speaker on the actual front of the device rather than on the sides or bottom. They chose to put a wide front screen bezel instead of the "oh-my-goodness-idn't-it-beautiful" thin bezel so they could reliably make the swipe UI work.

Everything about the PB screams intelligent and purposeful design. But because the common user nowadays is more accustomed to the iPad and Android way of doing things, they shun a perfectly wonderful system like the PB because of unfamiliarity with it. Could RIM do a better job making people more aware of the PB's way of doing things? Of course. But that doesn't immediately guarantee success when most of those Android fanboys love to bad-mouth anything that isn't Android. Same goes for the iPad fanboys.
    As I've said many times, I too love the Playbooks hardware and UI. I think that it is the best tablet available in regard to those things.

A lot of more casual users find it a bit intimidating though. My wife, for example is terrified of the UI on my PB, because she finds it so different from her experience. I don't mind, it keeps her off it.

See, I too am a pb fanboy, just like you, I'm just frustrated about the lack of content available. In Australia, we can't even access the video store.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-28-12 09:15 PM
    The app problem that everybody talks about is the lack of popular apps --- that are 99.99% free anyway (skype, netflix, Instagram...).

Pricing is all of the place --- precisely because Amazon pioneered it with selling the same book to 2 different people AT THE SAME TIME AT THE SAME PLACE for 2 different prices. You can't turn back the clock on this Amazon invention.

The only people who are misled are people who listened to your argument. Technology has given app sellers very precise and timely data on how to price their goods. Rovio would be stupid not to look at the sales data and charge accordingly.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    04-28-12 10:38 PM
    You wouldn't believe how many emails and reviews I get for my apps saying they should be free. I usually respond to those people that they can have a free copy, but that I'm going to charge them $12/hour (a very modest fee) for the customer support, and that they owe me $4
    People under value apps a ridiculous amount.
    04-29-12 02:24 AM
    OP, you have a point, but why the hyperbole?
    04-29-12 02:55 AM
    Aaaarggghhh !
    My sentiments entirely, we have a bunch of people feeling that everyone is stupid.

I'll pay over the odds for poor software ported from android AND with a 1:1 exchange rate (YES that old chestnut again).

You quote dollars so perhaps you could complain to RIM to get the exchange rate changed for the rest of your customers? I won't wait for the one. I will not be ripped off and really do hope RIM wakes up sometime soon.

HP screwed up webos but at least what software is being being produced is solid, useful and fairly priced for ALL markets.

I will stop whining as the playbook is only used for email now, as everything else is a pain to side load, doesn't work, hangs the android emulator, while I have the wonderful choice of paying �10 (compared to 2:99) for IM software that has half the functionality of ANY other platform
    Last edited by localbin; 04-29-12 at 05:30 AM.
    04-29-12 05:28 AM
131 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD