So you have about a million people who bought the Playbook because it was a bargain, and now you're wondering about the cheapskate/bargain hunter mentality?
    $199 is the price range that a lot of people won't buy a phone once it goes past that point. That doesn't automatically make them bargain hunters or cheapskates and unwilling to buy software though...

It's just a magical price point where a larger market opens up. I wouldn't be surprised if a larger percentage of the $199 purchased PB market was more willing to pay for apps than a larger market of $300-600 android tablets, just because the two markets are polar opposites. The purchase price of the tablet is not the indication of this...
    04-27-12 04:57 PM
    This generates nothing but flamewars... Ok so you're a devs and it's a tough world out there (but appealing to the fanboys is a low blow). These sort of thread tend to result in something as productive as openly hater threads (and though my trend of posting here is more negative than I'd like it to be I'll always stear away from doing such).

There will probably be reprisals to this post but I won't bother replying.

PS: Know what's amazing? FLOSS.
    And so the point of your reply to this thread was ... um ... what?
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-27-12 05:01 PM
    It was only 99 cents because you forgot that you bought these games on time-limited specials.

Right now, Dead Space is on special on the Playbook for $3.99 vs. $9.99 on the iPad. Spider-Man Total Mayhem is $2.99 on the Playbook and $6.99 on the iPad.
    Thanks for the heads-up on Spiderman. Just bought it. And by the way, I have an iPad and can confirm those prices you mentioned. The HD apps and games on the PB are less expensive.
    04-27-12 05:03 PM
    It's one thing to complain about people complaining, but if you want to know what I'm sick of, it's people making entire threads about what they're sick of
    taylor96 likes this.
    04-27-12 05:08 PM
    Thank you!! This argument always kills me. even if its 10 dollars, its software! ast time i bought a game for a computer it was 30 40 bucks. Even used its at least 5. I think nova was going for around 2.99 last time I looked. ?????
    jhanks64 likes this.
    04-27-12 05:11 PM
    Apps at under 5 bucks is reasonable. I have games and productivity apps that I have bought and not made use off but will when I have time.

As some of you have pointed out, there are sales and prices change on different os and would want developers to make a living for the hard work.

I want the best bang for the buck as a consumer and .99 to 4.99 is great bang for the buck. For the people that want things for free, make it yourself and earn some money. If not (u don't know or have the time bs), stop complaining and donate to use.

. OP- what app are you making?
    Last edited by cajualaddict; 04-27-12 at 05:29 PM.
    04-27-12 05:12 PM
    And as a little PSA, I'd advise everyone to do the same if they are online shopping, quite frankly I think it's a bit disturbing that people enter their personal credit card numbers into these services point blank, sure you can always go to a reclaims/fraud department if anything happens but hey better to be safe than sorry
    I just find it funny how many people are overly concerned with using a credit card online, but will hand the physical card to any waiter at any restaurant to take into the back...
    04-27-12 05:17 PM
    $199 is the price range that a lot of people won't buy a phone once it goes past that point. That doesn't automatically make them bargain hunters or cheapskates and unwilling to buy software though...
    Doesn't make them ALL bargain hunters and cheapskate, but you will get many. You get them on all platforms and devices, but if you're the low end of the market simply due to price, you will also get a greater number of them.
    04-27-12 05:21 PM
    Preach on brother!!! Thank you!!!!
    04-27-12 05:25 PM
    I am entitled to complain about those who complain. lol
    04-27-12 05:32 PM
    Doesn't make them ALL bargain hunters and cheapskate, but you will get many. You get them on all platforms and devices, but if you're the low end of the market simply due to price, you will also get a greater number of them.
    At the same time, you can say that bargain hunters/cheapskates would have gone android in the first place.
    1 - You can get crappy android tablets for sub $100
    2 - They have the highest percentage of free applications because a lot of people don't buy apps.
    04-27-12 05:37 PM
    I just love when people think they are somehow superior because of how much they spent on a device.
    04-27-12 05:47 PM
    To be honest, the only time I truly do not like when developers charge for their app is when it is an Android port (well more than 99 cents). I know there will be a lot that disagree with me, but to charge a premium price for a port kills me. Yes I know that they probably worked hard on their Android app, but I rather spend my money on a native app, and am willing to wait for the native.

Other than that, I agree with the OP. As long as it is quality, works well, good service, etc (what every consumer expects from any product, virtual or physical), then I don't mind the need to charge... in fact is surprises me when it is free (though I don't complain about it )!
    04-27-12 05:47 PM
    This generates nothing but flamewars... Ok so you're a devs and it's a tough world out there (but appealing to the fanboys is a low blow). These sort of thread tend to result in something as productive as openly hater threads (and though my trend of posting here is more negative than I'd like it to be I'll always stear away from doing such).

There will probably be reprisals to this post but I won't bother replying.

PS: Know what's amazing? FLOSS.
    The only flamewar I see is the one you wish to generate. Thread is going fine, with one post being the exception.
    04-27-12 07:45 PM
    What beats me is seeing people who would buy a maxed-out iPad and spend $0 on apps.
    04-27-12 07:51 PM
    What beats me is seeing people who would buy a maxed-out iPad and spend $0 on apps.
    Or spend on a uber-overpriced iPad 64GB with 4G then whine like a little girl that apps are too costly.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    04-27-12 07:54 PM
    Or spend on a uber-overpriced iPad 64GB with 4G then whine like a little girl that apps are too costly.
    I have one of those. It was a gift...lol

But the PB HD apps are considerably less expensive than the iPad ones.
    04-27-12 08:05 PM
    The only thing I have a problem with, is the $1 to �1 conversion that happens with apps available in the UK. Although I don't suffer from this, I think it is unfair to them. That's the only thing I feel that is worth vindicating.
    04-27-12 08:27 PM
    I agree, in North America apps are very cheap, in fact, I'm surprised that they don't cost more. Looks to me that iTunes have set the price point.

I do think that the folks in UK are getting screwed with a 1:1 currency conversion rate. Not sure about the rest of the world.
    04-27-12 08:31 PM
    Gotta love it...people will pay $50-$60 for a PC or console game, but won't pay $5 or less for an smartphone or tablet app. I remember back in the day, apps for my Palm were something like $30! Love'em , hate'em or indifferent, you have to thank Apple for creating the current app environment we all enjoy across various platforms.

They other "complaints" I hate hearing:

"It's only $0.99 on iOS."
    Yes...the iPhone version is, not the iPad version. I've found iPad apps and PlayBook apps have generally been very similarly priced.

"It's free on Android."
    Sure, but notice those ads that are showing up?
    04-27-12 09:13 PM
    At the same time, you can say that bargain hunters/cheapskates would have gone android in the first place.
    1 - You can get crappy android tablets for sub $100
    2 - They have the highest percentage of free applications because a lot of people don't buy apps.
    You can't get the crappy $100 tablets in a brick and mortar store, and that's where the Playbook sold.
    And now we have those same crappy free apps showing up in AppWorld, and no way to filter out the crap. How on earth does the GPS ripoff app get Featured status in AppWorld?
    04-27-12 09:24 PM
    Gotta love it...people will pay $50-$60 for a PC or console game, but won't pay $5 or less for an smartphone or tablet app. I remember back in the day, apps for my Palm were something like $30! Love'em , hate'em or indifferent, you have to thank Apple for creating the current app environment we all enjoy across various platforms.

"It's free on Android."
    Sure, but notice those ads that are showing up?
    Wait..why is having a free (ad supported) option a bad thing?

Also...comparing console games to tablet games as a whole is like comparing a skateboard to a car. There is no real comparison..except both of them can get you somewhere.
    bobauckland likes this.
    04-28-12 12:32 AM
    Wait..why is having a free (ad supported) option a bad thing?
    It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just not as effective when your entire business isn't built on tracking people's internet movements and serving up ads. When RIM release the advertising APIs, you'll come to regret this wish for an ad-supported option, IMO.
    04-28-12 12:52 AM
    It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just not as effective when your entire business isn't built on tracking people's internet movements and serving up ads. When RIM release the advertising APIs, you'll come to regret this wish for an ad-supported option, IMO.
    But most Android apps have an option to disable ads and that usually costs less than the same app on the PB.
    04-28-12 12:54 AM
    So what? If you want that model, why did you buy a tablet that doesn't operate on that model? RIM is not part of Google's ad service, why would you assume they would adopt it for you to get free apps?

An oil change at the Honda dealer will cost you less than at the BMW dealer. Don't buy the Honda and expect BMW service or vice versa.
    SnoozerBold and alnamvet68 like this.
    04-28-12 01:10 AM
131 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD