I was happy today to see Sibley's guide to birds added to the apps. Downloaded it right away even though it's a pricey app (same price though on iPhone and Android). It's a converted android app, and I think it needs a bit of polish, but it is the consummate birders guide and works well. This frees me from carrying my book in the field. It has a personal list you can update with location, date and notes. Also thousands of bird songs and calls and of course Sibley's images and details.

Hopefully more birders will download this app and we will see more interactive guides in the future.

Update see my last post, after reboot many of the issues I mentioned work just fine, especially the back button that was the biggest problem.
    Last edited by nojotech; 04-02-12 at 08:14 AM.
    03-30-12 06:27 PM
    i would download it but not if its a android app. I already own the android version and will not rebuy the damn thing
    03-30-12 06:35 PM
    I was reluctant as well to download and install it as it was apparent that it was a ported Android app, but without other choices other than purchasing the BB version I still felt it was a better option to purchase it for my PB. As with Matt, I m not going to purchase it twice though which I would have to do with the BB version.

As you indicated, it could use a little polish and would be better as a native app.
    03-30-12 06:57 PM
    Hey all,

Would you say this app is worth the purchase? I wouldnt mind paying for it if its really really good. If its something that could be passed on..i still might waste a couple of dollars on it..if its not that good, i can hijack it and try it for free. Id much rather support a good cause, than hijack.
    03-31-12 01:19 AM
    It would be perfect on the PB, but Android apps just take too long to load and crash too often. I'll stick with the iPad version for now.
    03-31-12 07:17 AM
    I gotta say that I should have tried rebooting first, the issue with the back button fixes itself when you do a full reboot after installing.

As for the app loading, it loads very fast on the Playbook at least as fast as a regular Playbook app.
    04-02-12 08:12 AM
    it shows as 1.0 megabytes in size in the app store.. HUH? 2300 bird sounds crammed in there too?

I would assume it does not need internet access since it's for use in the field... So, anyone who's installed it, what size does it take up on the PB internal drive please?
    04-02-12 02:28 PM
    it shows as 1.0 megabytes in size in the app store.. HUH? 2300 bird sounds crammed in there too?

I would assume it does not need internet access since it's for use in the field... So, anyone who's installed it, what size does it take up on the PB internal drive please?
    It is 1 MB for the app, but you download a 360 MB data base that has all the pictures and sounds. It doesn't require internet access once the database is installed.
    04-02-12 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD