Has anyone been able to stream shoutcast to their PlayBook? Something like di.fm?

Edit: I can click on the link and it downloads the .pls file which shows up in the music player, but nothing happens with I click on it.
    04-19-11 09:16 PM
    Has anyone been able to stream shoutcast to their PlayBook? Something like di.fm?

Edit: I can click on the link and it downloads the .pls file which shows up in the music player, but nothing happens with I click on it.
    I went to the following: Trance Radio Stations - Free Internet Radio and you will see a list of radio stations that play, in this case, trance music. I'm using the browser obviously. Beside each radio station, there is a little white arrow in a blue circle - click on this from the browser. A little pop up window, for lack of a better name, will appear on the bottom of the web page and the radio station will start to play.

I've gone through some of the radio stations listed, and most will play. I have come across a few that dont seem to do anything - no window pops up on the bottom of the page and no music plays. I'm not sure if its my browser or shoutcast.

Hope that helps.

PS - All of the stuff I have tried was playing the radio directly from the browser not the actual media player.
    djzang likes this.
    04-19-11 11:13 PM
    Thanks Darlaten. It looks like all the stations on that link use an embedded flash player to play the streams instead of streaming the music to a player on the PlayBook. I was trying to play the streams directly. So as long as we play them through that site then all is good.
    04-20-11 09:44 AM
    this is an app that is crying out to be made. i would love to have soma fm and radio paradise available in an app, rather than playing in browser. maybe a shoutcast app.
    12-03-11 08:39 AM
    I use Winamp for Android for shoutcast streaming. Works great.
    12-03-11 02:25 PM
    Why not add the streaming URL to the YourMuze.FM service and listen to it in a very minimal Flash window on your BlackBerry PlayBook. I grabbed the URL of the stream and added it to the YourMuze.FM website. I verified playback as well.

Note: Debian GNU/Linux was used for the following process though there might be a way using Microsoft Windows but why would anyone want to even try with anything other than the simplicity of Debian GNU/Linux and the command shell?

Step 0: Visited Free Internet Radio - SHOUTcast Radio - Listen to Free Online Radio Stations, selected music genre and station, and hovered mouse over the blue arrow to obtain the URL.
    Step1 : Ran command "wget yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=127794" in a GNU/Linux shell session to obtain embedded station identifier.
    Step 2: Ran command "cat tunein-station.pls?id=127794" to obtain embedded streaming URL.
    Step 3: Ran command "mplayer http://173.193.14.170:9604" to verify playback.
    Step 4: Added "http://173.193.14.170:9604" to YourMuze.FM via "Add a new station" link.
    Step 5: Clicked on "Listen" link to verify playback on both notebook web browser and tablet web browser.
    Step 6: Enjoy.

You can switch to a different web browser tab on the BlackBerry PlayBook and the stream continues uninterrupted. "I love it when a play comes together."
    12-03-11 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD