View Poll Results: Do you want to see multiple .bar submissions in App World?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • As a developer, yes.

3 27.27%
  • As a developer, no.

2 18.18%
  • Not a dev, but seems good, yes.

3 27.27%
  • No.

2 18.18%
  • I simply do not care.

1 9.09%
    I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE the fact that with Android you can submit different versions of an app, so that when the user downloads it they will get the one optimised for their device.

In light of the fact that BlackBerry will now be pushing essentially 3 different screen types of screen sizes (small square on querty model phones, large rectangle on full touch model phones, and then the even bigger screen of the PlayBook), I think RIM should definitely implement a similar feature, so that when BlackBerry 10 is released you don't download PlayBook apps that have a layout designed for phones, or phone apps that are crushed tablet layouts.

Alec Saunders tweeted me that they will simply have different folders for different qualities of graphics (Android also has this). The problem is this really doesn't help you in designing your layout for three different large variances in screen sizes. What do you think? Honestly I think a lot of devs would be happy to see the ability to submit multiple .bars in an app.
    Last edited by zethaaron; 07-14-12 at 12:21 PM.
    07-14-12 12:02 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE the fact that with Android you can submit different versions of an app, so that when the user downloads it they will get the one optimised for their device.

In light of the fact that BlackBerry will now be pushing essentially 3 different screen types of screen sizes (small square on querty model phones, large rectangle on full touch model phones, and then the even bigger screen of the PlayBook), I think RIM should definitely implement a similar feature, so that when BlackBerry 10 is released you don't download PlayBook apps that have a layout designed for phones, or phone apps that are crushed tablet layouts.

Alec Saunders tweeted me that they will simply have different folders for different qualities of graphics (Android also has this). The problem is this really doesn't help you in designing your layout for three different large variances in screen sizes. What do you think? Honestly I think a lot of devs would be happy to see the ability to submit multiple .bars in an app.
    App World already does this to an extent.

Not with .bar files because there's only one QNX device from RIM in the general market.

For BlackBerry smartphone apps you can add a filebundle in App World. Hence why a Bold 9900 and Curve 9360 may have the same app, but the .jad file and the .cod files involved aren't identical, they are written to different screen sizes.
    07-14-12 12:12 PM
    Yes, however when I asked him about it, he said at BB10 release (the time when it would be needed), it will not be happening.
    07-14-12 12:17 PM
    Yes, however when I asked him about it, he said at BB10 release (the time when it would be needed), it will not be happening.
    If they keep the App World Vendor portal the same as it is now, they won't need to do anything.

All RIM needs to do is under the QNX heading, instead of having just "PlayBook" they would have the new devices "BlackBerry London" etc.
    07-14-12 12:59 PM
    The problem with allowing multiple bar file submission, aka app submissions, at a time is that Digi-Media-Apps will start submitting 300 ebooks per day versus 20. They already have 1,500+ "ebooks". Pure spam in my view.

Honestly, its probably not a good idea unless you want BlackBerry App World to become a spam market like Google's Play is.
    07-14-12 01:17 PM
    The problem with allowing multiple bar file submission, aka app submissions, at a time is that Digi-Media-Apps will start submitting 300 ebooks per day versus 20. They already have 1,500+ "ebooks". Pure spam in my view.

Honestly, its probably not a good idea unless you want BlackBerry App World to become a spam market like Google's Play is.
    That's not what the OP is concerned about.

Basically his concern is this, you have multiple devices. You create one listing for an app. You upload multiple different .bar files. App World automatically identifies the device that is accessing the listing, the appropriate .bar file is downloaded. Each device is not exactly the same.

Therefore apps need to be modified to work with each device. Screen resolution for example is one parameter developers need to work out. You can't have a 1280x768 screen resolution run an app that was designed to work in a 720x720 screen resolution, the end result wouldn't be pretty.

That is in essence the OPs argument.

Now to my comment, I've already stated that App World already does this. If you need to download an app, lets say BlackBerry Messenger for arguments sake, the app you download is the same app, BlackBerry Messenger, but the files are not exactly the same. The Bold 9900 has a different resolution than the 9360 for example and therefore some tweaking needs to be made. To the end user this is all transparent. All they see is one listing.
    07-14-12 01:59 PM
    That's not what the OP is concerned about.
    Now to my comment, I've already stated that App World already does this. If you need to download an app, lets say BlackBerry Messenger for arguments sake, the app you download is the same app, BlackBerry Messenger, but the files are not exactly the same. The Bold 9900 has a different resolution than the 9360 for example and therefore some tweaking needs to be made. To the end user this is all transparent. All they see is one listing.
    Yes, however I'm speaking only in terms of BB10. As in when it is released, we will only be able to upload one app for BB10, we need to be able to upload multiple apps for BB10 devices specifically. While we may be able to upload multiple for different blackberry's, in the different format's you mentioned, we still won't be able to upload different .bars for the various devices that will be using them and that's a problem on bb10 devices specifically.
    07-14-12 05:38 PM
    Yes, however I'm speaking only in terms of BB10. As in when it is released, we will only be able to upload one app for BB10, we need to be able to upload multiple apps for BB10 devices specifically. While we may be able to upload multiple for different blackberry's, in the different format's you mentioned, we still won't be able to upload different .bars for the various devices that will be using them and that's a problem on bb10 devices specifically.
    I'm sure RIM will just add the BlackBerry 10 devices under the "QNX" heading, therefore allowing you to do the same thing.

I highly doubt they're going to say only one .bar file per listing.
    07-14-12 07:06 PM
    This seems overly complicated to me. You could easily code the app to use the proper graphics and interface elements depending on detected device. This is exactly what Apple does with their universal apps and it works just fine.
    07-14-12 08:13 PM
    I'm sure RIM will just add the BlackBerry 10 devices under the "QNX" heading, therefore allowing you to do the same thing.

I highly doubt they're going to say only one .bar file per listing.
    Based on my email with Alec Saunders, there will be only one .bar for listing.

And while this may work for apple apps which have to work on medium sized phone screens and tablet screens, it would be quite hard to work with the tiny screens on the qwuerty models in apps that are meant to work on tablets as well.
    07-14-12 08:51 PM
    Based on my email with Alec Saunders, there will be only one .bar for listing.

And while this may work for apple apps which have to work on medium sized phone screens and tablet screens, it would be quite hard to work with the tiny screens on the qwuerty models in apps that are meant to work on tablets as well.
    It will be no harder than designing 2 separate apps. You will still have to design 2 separate UIs, but integrating them into a single app is simple.
    07-14-12 09:53 PM
    IMO, this thread is a tempest in a teapot. There will be no changes in the way apps are submitted. The "one-size-fits-all" model is absolutely unworkable and will not be implemented.

If I choose to support all BB10 devices with a single file bundle, I will be able to do so. On the other hand, I may choose not to support certain devices with certain configurations. So, if I want to create different file bundles for each device and specify which devices that I will support, I will be able to do so. If I want to support only certain builds of the OS by specifying minimum version numbers, I will also be able to do this.

The current submission process is the only one that make sense because it has the required flexibility so that I can write apps that are guaranteed to work properly on multiple devices. All BB10 devices are not created equal and pretending that all the parameters can be worked out at run-time is ludicrous. Alec will be forced to change his mind by rioting developers if this is what he really communicated to the OP. Just my 2 cents worth.
    07-14-12 10:44 PM
    IMO, this thread is a tempest in a teapot. There will be no changes in the way apps are submitted. The "one-size-fits-all" model is absolutely unworkable and will not be implemented.

If I choose to support all BB10 devices with a single file bundle, I will be able to do so. On the other hand, I may choose not to support certain devices with certain configurations. So, if I want to create different file bundles for each device and specify which devices that I will support, I will be able to do so. If I want to support only certain builds of the OS by specifying minimum version numbers, I will also be able to do this.

The current submission process is the only one that make sense because it has the required flexibility so that I can write apps that are guaranteed to work properly on multiple devices. All BB10 devices are not created equal and pretending that all the parameters can be worked out at run-time is ludicrous. Alec will be forced to change his mind by rioting developers if this is what he really communicated to the OP. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Thank you, THIS is what I was trying to say.
    07-14-12 11:32 PM
    I'm assuming a few people in this thread are developers. Have any of you developed for iOS? This is the route RIM NEEDS to take with BB10.

You design an app as a single package, and your screen-draw subroutines change depending on which device is running the app. Sure theres more coding involved, but no more than if you were to write separate app packages for each device type. When you submit the app, you choose which devices can run it. If you want to exclude a device, you simply exclude it.

As a developer, I don't want to worry about the following:
    - Specs of users individual devices (if I've selected the device as compatible, I've tested it)
    - Which OS version the user is running (BB is terrible for this. On iOS, app compatibility is based on APIs in use. If my app is only compatible with iOS 3 and above, it's only available to those users)
    - Testing on dozens of devices (RIM is fixing this by only releasing 2(+1) BB 10 devices. This is a huge improvement)
    07-15-12 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD