I know it isn't as exciting as sideloading high-profile Android free apps, but I'd like to share the news anyway. We have successfully published our first Android game on App World. So far, the whole process from repackaging to publishing was a breeze, thank you RIM.

The game is here: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/62824
    The video is here: Shopper's Paradise HD - a good game made better
    10-26-11 08:11 PM
    No thank you for bringing it too the playbook. Hope you have many more too bring over

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Second Gear Games likes this.
    10-26-11 08:14 PM
    I know it isn't as exciting as sideloading high-profile Android free apps, but I'd like to share the news anyway. We have successfully published our first Android game on App World. So far, the whole process from repackaging to publishing was a breeze, thank you RIM.

oh sweet jesus, thank you i've been hooked on that game since i bought it for my 9900 xD

perhaps a Bubble Army and Bubble Defence in the future? <3
    10-26-11 08:51 PM
    perhaps a Bubble Army and Bubble Defence in the future? <3
    We will bring our entire Android portfolio over to PlayBook as soon as we can. However for now we are concentrating our efforts on making BlackBerry OS7 version of Shopper's Paradise HD.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    10-26-11 09:01 PM
    We will bring our entire Android portfolio over to PlayBook as soon as we can. However for now we are concentrating our efforts on making BlackBerry OS7 version of Shopper's Paradise HD.

I've only played the first level of Shopper's Paradise HD. And i love it! I didn't watch the video first haha so i expected the old version's experiance with better graphics but the changes are great!

the only downside is it runs in the android player, so switching between android apps is annoying. but that's RIM's fault not Second Gear's.

gunna finish this last day on the game then leave a review. thanks for the game cant wait for more
    10-26-11 09:15 PM
    looks great! i'm happy to see devs having a go and taking an interest in porting their apps to the playbook and supporting the blackberry ecosystem. Thanks second gear, looking forward to seeing more of your apps hitting app world.

10-27-11 02:39 AM
    Well done............Girlfriend will be SUPER happy and now i will have NO me time on my PB
    10-27-11 03:33 AM
    looks great! i'm happy to see devs having a go and taking an interest in porting their apps to the playbook and supporting the blackberry ecosystem. Thanks second gear, looking forward to seeing more of your apps hitting app world.

Second gear's been around BlackBerry for a while. Few good (imo great) offerings on the phones (Three Squared, Bubble Army, Bubble Defence 2), and Perfect Ricochet for the PlayBook (which is frustratingly addictive).

Very happy Second Gear's seemingly sticking around, but curious which stranger to BlackBerry is going to be the first to port something over

10-27-11 04:40 AM
    Second gear's been around BlackBerry for a while. Few good (imo great) offerings on the phones (Three Squared, Bubble Army, Bubble Defence 2), and Perfect Ricochet for the PlayBook (which is frustratingly addictive).

Very happy Second Gear's seemingly sticking around, but curious which stranger to BlackBerry is going to be the first to port something over

ahh thanks for the info. Nevertheless, big ups for the continued support! keep those apps rolling!
    10-27-11 05:24 AM
    You can find all of Second Gear Games' releases at

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...or/570?lang=en (viewable in your BlackBerry web browser, so you can see ALL of their releases)

Or here
    Second Gear Games - BlackBerry App World (will open in App World, so you can see only what's available for your phone)
    10-27-11 07:26 AM
    Thank you for your interest! Juggalo20, we appreciate the review. CrackBerry is truly an amazing community! We'll do our best not to disappoint.
    Dapper37 and TomCanuck like this.
    10-27-11 08:43 AM
    @SecondGear

Kudos to you! I bought your Shopper's Paradise HD game last night.
    I will make it my mission to look around every day for apps to buy in support of Android developers, and any other developers, that port quality apps over to Playbook. Native always preferred, but everything counts!
    10-27-11 08:45 AM
    great job! I don't have OS 2.0 loaded so I dont' think i'll get to play it but great job porting the app!
    10-27-11 09:00 AM
    @SecondGear

Kudos to you! I bought your Shopper's Paradise HD game last night.
    I will make it my mission to look around every day for apps to buy in support of Android developers, and any other developers, that port quality apps over to Playbook. Native always preferred, but everything counts!
    Don't forget to do up a review ;D

Also, how does this work exactly? Do only people with OS 2 developer beta see this game in App World? And Second Gear, do you think you'll be continuing to port Android games over now that RIM has screwed PlayBook again by holding off the Android player until pigs fly? Or is there a chance you'll develop them for PlayBook OS 1.x?

10-27-11 09:01 AM
    Only those with OS 2.0 see the game. It is really surprising to see how many people are already in this category. We will bring all our Android games through the Android player to PlayBook 2.0. Porting them to 1.x is a different story: they have to be rewritten from Android (or BlackBerry OS) codebase to either Flash or HTML5. I am not sure it's worth the effort - it will take us until February to do so, at which point it will be pointless with the official PlayBook 2.0 release.
    TomCanuck likes this.
    10-27-11 09:10 AM
    Only those with OS 2.0 see the game. It is really surprising to see how many people are already in this category. We will bring all our Android games through the Android player to PlayBook 2.0. Porting them to 1.x is a different story: they have to be rewritten from Android (or BlackBerry OS) codebase to either Flash or HTML5. I am not sure it's worth the effort - it will take us until February to do so, at which point it will be pointless with the official PlayBook 2.0 release.
    Lots of us are desperate ... Who needs a full functioning BlackBerry Bridge when we can make folders and customize tabs haha... I could hug you for being so professional enough not to add "maybe" to the end of your sentence about the official OS 2 release date. Thanks for the info though. Can't wait to see what else pops up. I'll keep a close eye on your list on app world, and hopefully catch a thread on CrackBerry

10-27-11 09:16 AM
    @Juggalo20

Will do! As soon as I play the game long enough to know what I'm doing! LOL.

Reviews get apps promoted and help build some development love!
    10-27-11 09:24 AM
    @Juggalo20

Will do! As soon as I play the game long enough to know what I'm doing! LOL.

Reviews get apps promoted and help build some development love!
    Hahah, yeah. I was a little thrown off by not being able to do all the levels in order all on easy.
    10-27-11 09:30 AM

Understood and thanks, for providing the game/games and the info
    10-27-11 10:03 AM

Thank you for the game. Its great to see developer support/games etc.

On a side note, I am seeing this not from you but a lot of other developers as well.
    Why is it three times more expensive on the playbook ($2.99) than on the 'usually on sale price' on Android/iOS ($.99)?
    Is it because you know that playbook owners have a serious lack of good apps and therefore will buy any games available or is it because a general playbook user is more gullible ( obviously having bought the playbook in the first place ) and can be more easily exploited.
    Last edited by bb.pl; 10-27-11 at 11:37 AM. Reason: edit
    10-27-11 11:34 AM

On a side note, I am seeing this not from you but a lot of other developers as well.
    Why is it three times more expensive on the playbook ($2.99) than on the 'usually on sale price' on Android/iOS ($.99)?
    Is it because you know that playbook owners have a serious lack of good apps and therefore will buy any games available or is it because a general playbook user is more gullible ( obviously having bought the playbook in the first place ) and can be more easily exploited.
    probably because there aren't that many pb users compared to android & ios. After all, they have to cover their porting cost.
    10-27-11 11:53 AM

LMAO - or maybe it's more expensive for developer's on the PlayBook....
    10-27-11 11:54 AM
    I will tell you the ugly truth. With some rare exceptions, it is very difficult to get rich as a developer. Yes, I know, Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Minecraft, etc. For each of these success stories there are thousands of good apps that don't sell enough to justify the effort put in them. My respect and appreciation go to our customers, who realize that a couple of coins (comparable to what you'd throw to a beggar on the street) help to keep us in this game for better of worse.

As far as $0.99 price on Android, we released the game without a large-scale testing. There are hundreds of Android devices out there, and we were not sure the game will work on all of them. We didn't want our first buyers to pay the full price and then deal with bugs. Therefore, we priced it at $0.99 for the first 100 buyers.

To illustrate how well it's going on Android: we sold 70 copies in 6 days at $0.69 (out cut after Google). How is it for a game that was in development since May?

Sorry for venting my frustration here. Once again, we love and respect BlackBerry community, don't get me wrong.
    mgm1979 likes this.
    10-27-11 12:54 PM
    I will tell you the ugly truth. With some rare exceptions, it is very difficult to get rich as a developer. Yes, I know, Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Minecraft, etc. For each of these success stories there are thousands of good apps that don't sell enough to justify the effort put in them. My respect and appreciation go to our customers, who realize that a couple of coins (comparable to what you'd throw to a beggar on the street) help to keep us in this game for better of worse.

As far as $0.99 price on Android, we released the game without a large-scale testing. There are hundreds of Android devices out there, and we were not sure the game will work on all of them. We didn't want our first buyers to pay the full price and then deal with bugs. Therefore, we priced it at $0.99 for the first 100 buyers.

To illustrate how well it's going on Android: we sold 70 copies in 6 days at $0.69 (out cut after Google). How is it for a game that was in development since May?

Sorry for venting my frustration here. Once again, we love and respect BlackBerry community, don't get me wrong.
    This also allows RIM to boast their developers make more than Android devs. Lol. So basically, you make next to zero money on a game for android, yet it's an Android game that gets released for BlackBerry consumers :| haha. I love your games but that logic doesn't quite make sense to me. But whatever the reason we get charged more for a non-native developed game. That's fine, we were foolish enough to support RIM's tablet.

10-27-11 03:10 PM
    The logic really has to do more with development than with marketing: for BlackBerry OS, we have to create at least three versions of the same app: one for touchscreens, one for higher-resolution keyboard devices, one for low-resolution ones. Doing all this while simultaneously designing the game itself is quite difficult.

We adopted a different approach: the game is originally created for Android (easier, touchscreen only), and then modified to work on various BlackBerry phones. Making a game like this one takes months, modifying for BlackBerry takes weeks. The other way is longer.

It is for the first time that we have a chance to publish the game on at least one BlackBerry device as soon as the Android build is ready.
    10-27-11 03:32 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD