So I think we should start bugging harebrained schemes to use some of the 1.8 million (1.4 million above the 400,00 they were trying to get through Kickstart) they got to eventually develop it for the Playbook. They are developing it for Android, iOs, Windows, Mac, and Linux, so lets make some noise and get them to bring it to us! Being from Auburn, a small town about 30 miles south of Seattle, I have always loved Shadowrun and the fact it was set in an instantly personally identifiable setting, the area surrounding my own home. Plus its backstory and game mechanics are just friggin epic. And I have always felt like my playbook is the beginning steps to the deck from shadowrun (for those who don't know, the deck was a portable computer which you jacked into a port in your head, that held your programs and data for runs in the Matrix, basically the virtual representation of the the internet in the future, apparently now they use cranial cyberdecks and wifi tech to access the internet now (according to my little brother, not up on the current shadowrun tech)). Not that I know anything about hacking large corporations data for fun and profit, it just makes me feel awesome to have this tech in my hands and think of the future potential. Anyways, its great to see someone besides microsoft try and do justice to this great game!

Edit: forgot the link lol http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/
    And they went out and got the composers of both the SNES game and the Genesis games' music to collaborate on the music! Awesome!
    Last edited by ThaSwapMeetPimp; 06-01-12 at 03:44 AM.
    06-01-12 03:41 AM
    I'd be down for that! I played through both 16-bit versions too. Loved them both! Music, gameplay, story... yup yup!
    06-01-12 02:48 PM
    I played both the pen&paper and the SNES one.

Noise mode... Enabled.
    06-02-12 01:15 AM
    06-02-12 03:00 PM
    06-02-12 03:08 PM
    I love ShadowRun. And you are correct, in the current edition they've dropped the Control Decks (that were a bit like tablets, but had to have a hard fibre optic connection via a jackpoint) because current technology was starting to surpass that.

Now characters have a Commlink (a PDF, GPS, Phone, Mobile Computer...nowadays known as a Smart Phone) that connect wirelessly to the matrix as well as to any other devices a player might have in there Personal Area Network (like bluetooth). Most any character can connect to the very top layer of the matrix that is like the internet, complete with pop-up ads on your sunglasses as you walk down the street (Augmented Reality). Hackers are able to go into the Virtual Reality levels of the matrix and manipulate things on that level which is more powerful, but can have serious and deadly consequences on the brain.

That's just me rambling though. It is kind of interesting to see real technology start to surpass the things that were science fiction not more than 20 years ago. I also have the sudden urge to run a SR campaign and make RIM into the megacorp it deserves to be...
    06-02-12 06:02 PM
    I love ShadowRun. And you are correct, in the current edition they've dropped the Control Decks (that were a bit like tablets, but had to have a hard fibre optic connection via a jackpoint) because current technology was starting to surpass that.

Now characters have a Commlink (a PDF, GPS, Phone, Mobile Computer...nowadays known as a Smart Phone) that connect wirelessly to the matrix as well as to any other devices a player might have in there Personal Area Network (like bluetooth). Most any character can connect to the very top layer of the matrix that is like the internet, complete with pop-up ads on your sunglasses as you walk down the street (Augmented Reality). Hackers are able to go into the Virtual Reality levels of the matrix and manipulate things on that level which is more powerful, but can have serious and deadly consequences on the brain.

That's just me rambling though. It is kind of interesting to see real technology start to surpass the things that were science fiction not more than 20 years ago. I also have the sudden urge to run a SR campaign and make RIM into the megacorp it deserves to be...
    Yeah it's been a long time since I've read any SR source material. And the RIM megacorp? Would be awesome! But I wouldn't want to run against them I would expect them to have the deadliest ICE around!

I played both 16 bit SR games and I would have to say I didn't really like the snes version. The Sega version was awesome cause while it had a story to play you could spend as much time as you wanted doing runs or hacking the Matrix for fun and profit. I just always wished it had more character class options, like instead of just a gator shaman, maybe a choice of totems, and maybe add mages. SR Returns will apparently have an option to be a rigger and use drones, so that's something, I guess.
    06-03-12 02:38 AM
    Well I just sent an email off letting them know that some of us were wondering if they could bring the game to the Playbook (I know, I'm quite the procrastinator).
    06-12-12 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD