Reelportal is EXTREMLY laggy...
    It lags when there are heavy traffic, as my lowly 512MB RAM Celeron server struggles to keep up with all the data passing through.

I anticipated as much, and therefore, provided the free server software for you to roll your own video chat service, on your local server. Sometimes to get what you want, you need to do a little leg work eh. Or wait for someone to do it for you
    12-22-11 02:41 AM
    no echo cancelation
    That is true for all ReelPortal mobile versions, as it solely relies on Adobe AIR for processing the audio. This is something most of us AIR developers have been bugging Adobe to provide for so long.

On the desktop PC, Adobe AIR/Flash implemented echo cancellation, so ReelPortal is able to use it.

This is the case for basically all video chat apps that use Adobe AIR/Flash.
    12-22-11 02:48 AM
    Maybe microsoft would of sped up the playbook version if this had gone through. Sounds like microsoft contemplated a bid for RIM:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ch_LEFTTopNews

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk
    12-22-11 03:28 AM
    So... does everyone offering alternatives understand that most people looking for Skype connectivity have dozens or even hundreds of existing contacts using what is considered a standard of cross-platform connectivity? And that asking those dozens or hundreds of contacts to switch to some other, inferior, platform will likely result in mass derision?

The reason Skype is popular is because lots of people already have Skype and know how to use it, and it works... well. Trying to get a circle of friends to switch to something else is just stupid - especially when the alternative is severely limited, in functionality or platforms supported.

Please just stop. Grumpy Bovines is just not Angry Birds, same as Joe Bob's Web Cams isn't Skype.
    12-22-11 05:30 AM
    It may be more realistic to hope for Google video chat than Skype.
    Yep, good chances to see it. The protocol code went open source months ago.
    Let's hope the NDK makes it easy to port it to the PB.
    Wolf
    ndaniel1 likes this.
    12-22-11 06:38 AM
    Actually it was closer to 800-850K at this point, not counting a big chunk of the Black Friday and all subsequent sales.

(And ignoring shipped vs sold since, at this point with the channel inventory largely flushed, it's practically the same thing.)
    it waz on cbc last week that the pb sold 150k in 3 rd quarter and ipsd sold in the millions.not sure on full year specs but that gives u an idea on the spread
    12-22-11 09:35 AM
    also regarding this thread yes skype is a must even the hp touchpad has it.how did that happen.im sure thier sales were much less.
    12-22-11 09:37 AM
    You seem to have fed up of all apps. My experience with skype has also not been very good. I have used it on play book as well as PC. Their video quality is really poor. For my office I have suggested X-LIte. It does offer video calls but voice quality is far better than Skype.
    12-22-11 10:32 AM
    also regarding this thread yes skype is a must even the hp touchpad has it.how did that happen.im sure thier sales were much less.

What?! Skype is on the HP touchpad?? Hah!! I am convinced RIM did something bad to Skype or MS - they def seem to hate RIM for some reason more so than other companies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-23-11 03:26 AM
    If they allowed Android apps to access the Camera, then you could easily use the Android version and everyone would be happy.

Maybe that will be a limitation removed in the final 2.0 build... ?
    Well im not sure if rim blocked the camera to company x but permitted it to company y... but i do know rim didnt totally block all camera access. You can go to www.imo.im and video chat on yahoo to anybody else you know on yahoo (providing they have a cam and mic).
    12-23-11 05:19 PM
    2 things:

-Skype/MS ports their own app (it's written in Java apparently). RIM would need to pay them to do so.
    -Android camera is not "blocked", it simply doesn't exist yet.

So to get Skype natively on playbook, it's not a minor port.
    The best bet would be Skype via Android runtime, which is just blocked on availability of camera support.

A 3rd, even less likely, option would be for Skype/MS to publish the protocol and allow interoperability with other video chat clients.
    12-24-11 12:50 AM
    You can always side load Kik messenger or Ping chat.
    12-24-11 12:56 AM
    You can always side load Kik messenger or Ping chat.
    Again... not to pick on anyone, but those offering other solutions, please STFU.

The reason Skype is popular and desired by PB users is because SO MANY people already have it. You're not going to convince 20, 50, 100+ people to move to Kik or Ping Chat because you're just so damn popular, everybody better do what you say.

It's an established standard. Adopt that standard, or lose.
    12-24-11 02:46 AM
    I sent an email to Skype about 2 weeks ago and their response was they're working on it and it should be out in early 2012.

I'm assuming developers are working with OS2 and this stuff will show-up when OS2 is released in February

Would you mind posting a copy of the E-mail ?
    12-24-11 01:57 PM
    Would you mind posting a copy of the E-mail ?
    yeah, i second that. would love to see that email and confirmation from skype -- having it on my pb out here would be a winner!
    12-24-11 02:08 PM
    Again... not to pick on anyone, but those offering other solutions, please STFU.

The reason Skype is popular and desired by PB users is because SO MANY people already have it. You're not going to convince 20, 50, 100+ people to move to Kik or Ping Chat because you're just so damn popular, everybody better do what you say.

Again... not to pick on anyone, but those asking for Skype on Playbook, please STFU.

The reason iPad is popular and desired by tablet users is because SO MANY people already have it. You're not going to convince 20, 50, 100+ people to move to Playbook or webOS because you're just so damn popular, everybody better do what you say.

12-25-11 12:08 AM
    Again... not to pick on anyone, but those asking for Skype on Playbook, please STFU.

The reason iPad is popular and desired by tablet users is because SO MANY people already have it. You're not going to convince 20, 50, 100+ people to move to Playbook or webOS because you're just so damn popular, everybody better do what you say.

Remember, iPad only got a proper native skype app a little over four months ago... it's not like Skype dropped everything to port their app to the iPad immediately.
    12-25-11 07:05 AM
    iPad's Skype works flawlessly, not even going to play it off.

Anyway, I think it's pretty crappy that there's no Skype or any sort of pre-installed chat client for those who don't have BBs. I don't feel like I should have to pay extra for a stinking chat client.
    12-25-11 11:09 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD