Seriously, will this ever arrive? who is holding on this.. RIM or skype/microsoft?
    Playbook really needs more communication apps.. just searching for "messenger" in app world basically gives me no useful results.
    Why isn't anyone developing for communication apps??
    Berrimad likes this.
    12-17-11 11:10 PM
    never. the license fee is too high for rim to pay....
    12-17-11 11:33 PM
    Doubtful also as it is own by Microsoft and would compete with its Windows 8 tablets...
    12-17-11 11:43 PM
    Op, this has been discussed many times in this forum.
    The search button at the top of this page is a good place to start to fill in answers to your question.
    ignites likes this.
    12-17-11 11:43 PM
    saw this on another blackberry forum

"UPDATE : This is the response i got yesterday:"We currently have no plans for skype on playbook. Our focus right now is on high volume platforms such as iOS/Android for mobile. If playbook gets traction we will certainly look to develop an app."
    If anyone at RIM is reading this please make contact with skype and convince them to make the app or ask them for the skypekit and make the app yourself.

Please if anybody at RIM is reading this please respond."
    Berrimad likes this.
    12-17-11 11:48 PM
    Seriously, will this ever arrive? who is holding on this.. RIM or skype/microsoft?
    Playbook really needs more communication apps.. just searching for "messenger" in app world basically gives me no useful results.
    Why isn't anyone developing for communication apps??
    Harping on about skype is ridiculous. it is the most recognised but by no means the only video comms app out their. Look through the forums and remember you have a PB so you can use web based services.
    12-18-11 02:46 AM

"UPDATE : This is the response i got yesterday:"We currently have no plans for skype on playbook. Our focus right now is on high volume platforms such as iOS/Android for mobile. If playbook gets traction we will certainly look to develop an app."
    If anyone at RIM is reading this please make contact with skype and convince them to make the app or ask them for the skypekit and make the app yourself.

Ya that line was posted here somewhere as well. Skype is pretty muhc saying that the PB isnt a well known enough product for it.

Cant we get it from the Android Marketplace when the AA comes with OS 2.0?????
    12-18-11 07:26 AM
    Harping on about skype is ridiculous. it is the most recognised but by no means the only video comms app out their. Look through the forums and remember you have a PB so you can use web based services.
    There are no cross-platform web-based solutions worth mentioning they all work like crap.

I already hear someone whisper IMO... well, IMO is crap, for one, and video is no-go cross platform, unless both ends use IMO which = double-crap!

I'm having a bad Sunday in case no one realized yet
    Berrimad likes this.
    12-18-11 02:03 PM

so in other words, no, playbook will not get skype support
    12-18-11 03:23 PM
    So I may be wrong but didn't we reach 600k sold units?

If I had to decide, I'd light the green light for the coding team...
    12-18-11 05:57 PM

If I had to decide, I'd light the green light for the coding team...
    600,000 PB's? How many Apple and Android tablets are out there? There you go!
    12-18-11 08:43 PM
    besides the video chat app on the playbook, and skype is out of the question, what is another app that can utilize the video chat features with other platforms?
    12-18-11 11:13 PM
    Reelportal is on the pb and other platforms. I've not convinced my sister to give it a try on her little apple laptop.
    12-19-11 12:13 AM
    Reelportal is on the pb and other platforms. I've not convinced my sister to give it a try on her little apple laptop.
    Reelportal is EXTREMLY laggy...
    12-19-11 07:39 AM
    Reelportal is EXTREMLY laggy...
    no echo cancelation
    12-19-11 07:50 AM
    600,000 PB's? How many Apple and Android tablets are out there? There you go!
    So are you saying that if you were Skype, you'd prefer not to have one more place where people could spend their skype credits?

Reeeally smart...
    12-19-11 08:34 AM
    So are you saying that if you were Skype, you'd prefer not to have one more place where people could spend their skype credits?

Reeeally smart...
    No, I was being sarcastic, meaning 600k units is probably not worth it to them compared to how many androids and ifads are out there. And don't forget: it his "hip" nowadays to ignore RIM products no matter what. I own a 9810 and a 16GB PB myself.
    12-19-11 10:37 AM

Well, read carefully what the reply said; they were waiting to see if Playbook "gained traction", and also that they only want to make skype available to high volume platforms. It didnt say they were asking for RIM to contact them to discuss it.

SO... I got a better response... RIM, if you are reading this, get off your lazy ***e, deliver to this tablet what was promised, in some cases the features were suppose to have arrived already, so this device is appealing enough to sell and be considered "high volume" so it will attract not only skype but other popular apps...
    FF22 and Berrimad like this.
    12-20-11 09:26 AM
    after RIM put the skype logo on fb ads, the onus is on rim to explain why the pb does not have skype and not on users to go and ask skype why they aren't developing for the pb.
    12-20-11 03:44 PM
    It may be more realistic to hope for Google video chat than Skype.
    12-21-11 12:09 PM
    If they allowed Android apps to access the Camera, then you could easily use the Android version and everyone would be happy.

Maybe that will be a limitation removed in the final 2.0 build... ?
    12-21-11 12:40 PM
    Actually it was closer to 800-850K at this point, not counting a big chunk of the Black Friday and all subsequent sales.

(And ignoring shipped vs sold since, at this point with the channel inventory largely flushed, it's practically the same thing.)
    12-21-11 12:58 PM
    Yeah. I agree on the 800-8500 figure, but I wanted to be on the safe side.

But hey, we got Angry Birds... Yay, right?
    12-21-11 02:51 PM
    There is IM+, but it is ridiculously priced at 7.99 and is much worse tham the free version on Android, and the android paid version is 1.99. Sad but true but devs are very platform biased, they love to offer terrible support or overprice on certain platforms or not even develop for them at all. Also they buy into the hype that blackberry is doimg bad and are clamoring for apps on WP7 even though Blackberry still outsells that platform 5 to 1, even though wp7 have several thousand more apps.

I can understand ios and android being the top dogs, but why does RIMs app markets have such a hard time taking off when they are comfortably in 3rd place. All the analysts say Wp7 will be 3rd by end of 2012, when the only good selling wp7 this year, the nokia lumia 800, only did so because they gave away FREE xbox 360s with it, lol. And they're STILL having better sales on Symbian despite trying so desperately to kill it off.

RIM has taken its losses gracefully by not undercutting too soon, they chose the right time to do it, Microsoft is just doing it every chance they can raise the installed base. Of course with their recent love to the ios platform (releasing no less than a dozen apps for it over the past month), it may be a sign that they will kill off wp7 soon.
    Last edited by downphoenix; 12-21-11 at 09:53 PM.
    12-21-11 09:49 PM
    I sent an email to Skype about 2 weeks ago and their response was they're working on it and it should be out in early 2012.

I'm assuming developers are working with OS2 and this stuff will show-up when OS2 is released in February
    12-21-11 11:28 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD