I just started using Skype again a few days ago, since I had to videoconference with the MintChip Challenge folk. Currently using it for the instant messaging portion.

Why does everyone want it on the PlayBook/BB10 so badly? Is it for the instant messaging? Is it for the voice/video chat? Or is it for the ability to call actual phone numbers?

I ask because I may be able to solve one of those problems. But it wouldn't connect to the Skype network, so if that's why people want Skype so badly, then my idea wouldn't be too useful.
    08-18-12 02:27 PM
    I think its because Skype would allow you to video chat with any phone that also has Skype .

Currently, iMessage/FaceTime can is only for Apple and the Video Chat for the BBPB is only for those with a BBPB. I forgot what google has.

However; although vidoe chatting is cool, it could be heavy on the data unless used over a WiFi network.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    08-18-12 02:36 PM
    It's the most widely used cross-platform video chat application. Opens up doors for business and personal communication.
    08-18-12 02:44 PM
    Because it's available on all other platforms except BlackBerry.
    sashlon, SifJar and elmit22 like this.
    08-18-12 02:45 PM
    So it's the video chat? And obviously being cross-platform.

Shoot, I guess my app idea won't help with that then.
    08-18-12 02:48 PM
    So it's the video chat? And obviously being cross-platform.

Shoot, I guess my app idea won't help with that then.

Hey, I say if you have an app idea that would alow video chat with other OS's, GO FOR IT!!!

Having legitimate options are good. Skype just holds a brand name, thats why its wanted.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    08-18-12 03:43 PM
    It's the most widely used cross-platform video chat application. Opens up doors for business and personal communication.
    This is definitely the main reason. Anyone I know who has ever made any mention of doing any video chat has talked of Skype, usually even referring to video chatting as "skyping". It's simply the most ubiquitous video chat service in existence, and as such, it is considered by many to be a "must have" app. Personally, I don't use the service extensively enough to care (although if there was an app, I'd certainly have it installed), but it is extremely important to note that having a healthy app ecosystem is very important for a device's success; the big name apps won't necessarily sell devices, but not having them will prevent sales. Once a device is selling well, and the big apps are there, the smaller, independent devs take more notice. In turn, that improves the ecosystem, which improves sales, which attracts more devs etc. etc.
    Drew808 and Tre Lawrence like this.
    08-18-12 04:15 PM
    It is popular among some serious business people I've been told. Also it is a fun app for people and popular among trendy people. I don't need nor want it. As far as why people want it probably because others have it and PlayBook doesn't.
    08-18-12 05:16 PM
    All of my family members that chat using webcam all use Skype. Windows computers. Mac computers. 'i' devices. Since the PlayBook has a front facing camera, being able to connect with Skype would make everything so simple. Heck, I used it before switching to phones and tablets as my primary personal devices. I just stopped using video chatting altogether because of this. Kind of sad really, but whatever.
    08-18-12 05:34 PM
    There are people like me who make serious use of Skype's features, including Skype-in, Skype-out, voicemail, call forwarding, etc. As someone who lives overseas but still works with firms based in the U.S., having a Skype-in number from a local Florida area code is a real plus (my second home is in Palm Beach County). It allows me to maintain a virtual presence and thus project a more professional image to my clients. And Skype-out is an incredibly economical way for me to call phones back in the States.

Not having Skype on my PB means that I have to carry another device with me when I travel, most often a notebook, thus defeating the purpose of getting the PB in the first place. This is more than just an inconvenience, like not having Netflix (which I have never used on any platform). Rather, it is a serious impediment to my business communications process and a real PITA.

So that is why some people are clamoring for Skype on the PB. It has nothing to do with video chat and everything to do with Skype's myriad other applications, many of which are mission critical to small businesses like mine.

RCK
    08-18-12 06:53 PM
    There are people like me who make serious use of Skype's features, including Skype-in, Skype-out, voicemail, call forwarding, etc. As someone who lives overseas but still works with firms based in the U.S., having a Skype-in number from a local Florida area code is a real plus (my second home is in Palm Beach County). It allows me to maintain a virtual presence and thus project a more professional image to my clients. And Skype-out is an incredibly economical way for me to call phones back in the States.

Not having Skype on my PB means that I have to carry another device with me when I travel, most often a notebook, thus defeating the purpose of getting the PB in the first place. This is more than just an inconvenience, like not having Netflix (which I have never used on any platform). Rather, it is a serious impediment to my business communications process and a real PITA.

So that is why some people are clamoring for Skype on the PB. It has nothing to do with video chat and everything to do with Skype's myriad other applications, many of which are mission critical to small businesses like mine.

RCK
    Well said. On point.
    08-18-12 06:57 PM
    Some people travel a lot. I use skype when out of country to talk to people. I actually rarely use the video,mostly the audio as it is a nice free way to contact people.
    It is one of the reasons (among others) i have stopped taking the playbook with me on business trips.

My playbook has become a device that i pickup on occasion to browse some web pages, which it does well.
    08-18-12 06:58 PM
    I also use Skype as a business communication tool. I'll sometimes use video chat, Skype-in and Skype-out are used almost daily. I know that most of the people I'm looking to communicate with have Skype, which makes it very convenient to have.

Plus, when my daughter was stationed in Iraq, Skype was our main way to communicate. She may be getting deployed to Afganistan next, so it will become an important application again.
    FF22 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    08-18-12 07:56 PM
    It has been awhile since I have used Skype. In general, I find that it doesn't work very well and very dependent on the Wi-Fi connections at both ends. To be honest,when someone phones me on Skype, I just hang up. The conversations are a struggle. I think the biggest selling point is that it is free (well sort of). I don't use it as a professional business tool as I find the product cheap and only marginally useful. If someone was to improve the product, well then great. My personal view is that BB10 will embed a more polished version of Skype into BBM.
    08-18-12 08:53 PM
    [/b] ;7575211]It has been awhile since I have used Skype. In general, I find that it doesn't work very well and very dependent on the Wi-Fi connections at both ends. To be honest,when someone phones me on Skype, I just hang up. The conversations are a struggle. I think the biggest selling point is that it is free (well sort of). I don't use it as a professional business tool as I find the product cheap and only marginally useful. If someone was to improve the product, well then great. My personal view is that BB10 will embed a more polished version of Skype into BBM.
    LOL.

So basically, it sucks till RIM perfects it?
    THBW likes this.
    08-18-12 08:56 PM
    Those who want it are more vocal than those who don't care.
    08-19-12 01:06 AM
    I don't care THAT much about Skype but it would be great to have it. My Desktop's webcame is VGA, Galaxy S3 is only 1.9MP, but the Playbook has a beautiful 3MP front camera with the ability to do 1080P video.

It's not like I'm going to make youtube videos of myself talking with the front camera. I could use it to video chat with friends who don't have a playbook. The fact there is no decent video chatting app for the Playbook is the problem.

Not only would it save me money for now I could have the playbook in a stand and video chat while using my two other computer screens for other work.

I know several people who use skype to talk with friends and family when they are overseas. It's not the only way too but one of the most popular and easy way. it's not like Playbook has KaoTalk or oovoo.
    08-19-12 01:11 AM
    I have a call a phone subscription on Skype.
    We have friends in UK and Australia so it is far more convenient to call their telephone using Skype for only 2.5 cents per minute rather than arranging for Skype sessions in advance.
    We also use it when overseas. For example, we will be in India for November /December.
    I hope Skype will be in place by then.
    Thanks
    Larry (from Canada )
    08-19-12 12:01 PM
    Why does everyone want it on the PlayBook/BB10 so badly? Is it for the instant messaging? Is it for the voice/video chat? Or is it for the ability to call actual phone numbers?

I ask because I may be able to solve one of those problems. But it wouldn't connect to the Skype network, so if that's why people want Skype so badly, then my idea wouldn't be too useful.
    Because it is the reason I have to take a laptop with me! (Instead of being able to travel light with just a PlayBook)

I use Skype for:
    intl calling to landlines all round the world (and also mobiles in US & HK),
    conference calling (international/national)
    skype-to-skype voice/video chats
    skype IM with friends and colleagues

And the annoying thing is:
    when I bought my PB (in the very early expensive days) I expected Skype to be on the PB, because of all the RIM marketing hoo-ha about PB & Skype.... I'm still annoyed!
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 08-19-12 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
    08-19-12 07:34 PM
    OP, if you can create a mutiplatform video chat app, by all means, DO SO.

If priced low enough, you'd make a small fortune and solve what I consider to be a serious issue with inter-platform mobile communications.

Go taab!
    08-19-12 08:08 PM

RCK
    Then why don't you try out the iPad ?
    08-19-12 09:37 PM
    In fact, I remember a post in Crackberry which was something like that..."I just bought a playbook.Yeah! Heard Video Chat is nice. Who adds me?". I am the only person in my family and among my friends to have the playbook and more geenrally a blackberry device. I would love to use video Chat, but with whom? Therefore Skype is a good alternative. Unless I convince many people to buy a playbook, which is not that easy.
    08-20-12 12:05 AM
    Find it interesting that so many posts indicate that they have Slype in use already. on other devices.. so why is a big deal to have it on the Playbook.... Could understand all the commotion if Skype was only available on just tablets and the Playbook did not have it..... but of course it is available on numerous platforms........sounds ot me more of a case that because we do not have it... we want it... as we feel left out.... Wonder if Skype does show up on BB.... what other must have app is not available?????
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 08-20-12 at 12:51 AM.
    08-20-12 12:47 AM
    Even being able to video chat between blackberry devices only would be nice.
    (phone to phone, phone to playbook etc)
    08-20-12 07:29 AM
    Well, I really use Skype allot on my Laptop and it would be handy to have it on my PB. I also use Netflix, and wouldnt mind it on my Playbook although I dont know how often I would use it.-- I think the most important thing is we feel slighted as PB users when we cant have an App that everyone else has. I just wish Rim would hand over the envelope to whoever they have to, So Dev can make the app for our platform.

Think about it... If Playbook had every app iPAD had there would be no debate which one is better.
    08-20-12 10:21 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD