There are a few Apps out there that are tempting me to boot up OS2 and give the android player a try. Does anyone know if SCummVM will run?

If so, that would definitely be my tipping point.

My seven year old self is still pissed he never beat Conquest of the Longbow before his parents upgraded the PC and bought a new one that didn't play floppy B:drive games.

I'm just wanting a little redemption and I'm hoping my PlayBook can deliver.

UPDATE: I think a lot of people are wondering what SCummVM is. It stands for Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion Virtual Machine. In reality what it does is allow you to play old adventure games from Sierra and LucasArt on modern platforms. Imagine being able to play games like Day of the Tentacles, or the King's Quest series on your PlayBook. These old adventure games were superbly well built games, are now mostly available for free (abandonware), and would suit the PlayBook extremely well!
    Last edited by Goonie12; 11-26-11 at 12:43 PM.
    11-25-11 11:02 PM
    It probably won't run as an Android app, because it is written using native code.

It should be quite easy to port to PlayBook, as there is an SDL version already available. Perhaps a developer would like to pick up the gauntlet. It would be a good project for C++ devs to get their feet wet on PlayBook (or an Air/WebWorks dev to get into C++).

Try asking in the Native SDK forum.
    11-26-11 10:09 AM
    Any chance you would want to give it a try Innovatology?
    11-26-11 12:38 PM
    Hehe, no, gaming is not our thing ;-)
    11-26-11 01:49 PM
    Breaking my heart Innovatology!

One more question though. I don't really understand all the details, but I get that Scumm allows for a wide array of games to be played. It is the engine so to speak.

But what if I used DOSbox. Would that allow me to play individual DOS relased games? CoLB was a DOS game that never used the Scumm (I believe). If I installed DOS box and then put the CoLB files on the PlayBook and ran them from DOS would that not work?

Or would the game/DOS not understand how to receive input from the PlayBook?

I understand that it is not as elegant of a solution, but I'm not picky!
    Last edited by Goonie12; 11-26-11 at 03:02 PM.
    11-26-11 02:34 PM
    dosbox works great, ive tested day of the tenticles and there were no issues

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    11-27-11 10:08 AM
    I meant to post an update here. You are very right. DOSbox works great for all these old games on the PlayBook. No need for scummvm afterall!
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-27-11 10:12 AM
    I see that Goonie12 has found workaround... But the ScummVM is ported to BlackBerry PlayBook. For unknown reason the application isn't approved for App World. In case you need it you can download BAR and install it on your PlayBook:

ScummVM for PlayBook
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-11-12 06:08 AM
    I see that Goonie12 has found workaround... But the ScummVM is ported to BlackBerry PlayBook. For unknown reason the application isn't approved for App World. In case you need it you can download BAR and install it on your PlayBook:

ScummVM for PlayBook
    ScummVM seems to run ok at the moment, but my problem is creating a folder to put the games in that ScummVM can find in it's directory browser?

UPDATE: I found the path: /accounts/1000/shared
    Last edited by vectrac19; 01-12-12 at 04:39 AM.
    jerobarraco likes this.
    01-12-12 04:34 AM
    i really wanted to play monkey island and full throttle though. Hopefully they update it to support right click.
    01-21-12 03:57 AM
    i really wanted to play monkey island and full throttle though. Hopefully they update it to support right click.
    I think that we'll update the ScummVM to support right click. Unfortunately, I don't when this happens. I'll drop a message here. So stay tuned.
    01-21-12 04:48 AM
    I think that we'll update the ScummVM to support right click. Unfortunately, I don't when this happens. I'll drop a message here. So stay tuned.
    This is great. I wasn't aware you were one of the developers. Thank you very much for supporting this wonderful tablet. Hopefully RIM gets their head out of their and approves this for appworld. I have beeb using scummVM for years. Thank you again.
    01-21-12 04:53 AM
    I'm glad to know that ScummVM port is interesting for people. The port was made not personally by me. So I'll convey your compliments to actual developer from our team.

It sounds like 1.4.0 port will be available next week. But I'm not sure about the right click.
    01-21-12 05:24 AM
    Great work for porting ScummVM to Playbook,i am very interest in old school avg games,
    i also look forward to full function port.
    01-21-12 06:01 AM
    Amazing, I have been waiting for this since I first held my playbook. Keep up the good work.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    01-21-12 10:26 AM
    Update:

I have found ths port to be lacking a bit in features. The right click really kills any chance of using it at the moment. The GUI and gameplay also seem to have a wierd way of jumping around that makes the graphics really annoy you after a while. Also another problem this port has that I have run into with others is the lack of function keys need in a few games for basic save functions.

Really is good to see it on the playbook, but it needs a bit more to be functional. That being said, the whole kings quest series is single click only playable if anyone wants to try this build out.
    01-21-12 10:22 PM
    Update on a few of the issues with this port.

The crusor making the graphics move glitch is present in the gui and all games i have tried so far. Seems to be better with newer games. Setting the graphics to 2xsai filter seems to help with this alot, and also looks awesome to boot.

The default for subtitles is set to voice only, but many games do not have voice. Need to go into the main options and set it to both to allow for text in most games. Also the text speed is much faster than it should be, best to change this to a lower number. 60 is default, i have found that it needs at least half of that.

Also, change the default saves path to point to a folder outside of the internal folder structure. I pointed mine to /1000/shared/misc/scumm/saves . This will save you problems later when you update to a newer version.

So far tested with flac sound rips and they do not work. Not sure on mp3 format.

It might be a good idea to start another thread with a list of compatible games as not all Scumm games work.

ie. Flight of the Amazonian Queen - subtitles way too fast, subtitle speed setting has no effect
    Last edited by Zandengoff; 01-22-12 at 10:11 PM.
    01-22-12 09:43 PM
    Update: Still unable to get sound working in quite a few games. It would seem that flac ogg and mp3 are not supported in this build.

I attempted to get sound in loom with flac, ogg, and mp3 without sucess. The developer might want to find ot where the app is looking for additional audio files. For now this leaves you with having to rely on floppy versions of most games in order to get sound.

I would like to work more closely with the developer of this product. If anyone knows how to get in touch with them it would be appriciated.
    01-22-12 11:17 PM
    Hi!
    I'm the author of the PlayBook port.
    Current build doesn't support any of audio codecs. Next release will support mp3, Vorbis and FLAC codecs.
    I'm well aware of graphics glitches, it will be fixed someday I'm working on this project only in my free time, so it may take some time.

You can get support on our forum: ScummVM for PlayBook
    01-23-12 05:13 AM
    I know how to find him. Look below your last post.
    01-23-12 05:27 AM
    Awesome to hear from you. Do you have plans to fix the default settings on some of the things i mentioned? It would fix a good deal of the setup problems I experienced and possibly increase usage through easier setup.

Also, are you willing to let me work with you on testing? I would enjoy helping with what I can.

I also noticed that you shared source on the scumm forum. Would you be willing to post updated source on something like github?

I am now playing though a few SCUMM games on my playbook and find it quite fun.
    Last edited by Zandengoff; 01-23-12 at 09:51 AM.
    01-23-12 09:41 AM
    Zandengoff,

Thanks for your interest. Alexander has answered most of your questions. If you want to help then join us at KPDA forum. Ther is special topic for the ScummVM port. Your comments and suggestions on the KPDA forum help us to maintain and update the port. Same here for all who whant use ScummVM on the PlayBook. The more comments we'll receive the faster we'll release new port.

As for source posting. We don't have such plan at this time. Soon you'll find ScummVM PlayBook port source included into the main tree.
    Zandengoff likes this.
    01-23-12 01:22 PM
    Hi!
    I'm the author of the PlayBook port.
    Current build doesn't support any of audio codecs. Next release will support mp3, Vorbis and FLAC codecs.
    I'm well aware of graphics glitches, it will be fixed someday I'm working on this project only in my free time, so it may take some time.

You can get support on our forum: ScummVM for PlayBook
    I just wanted to thank you for putting so much effort into this project, scumm is probably my favorite emulator ever and i am excited to see your continued efforts.

Thank you.
    02-02-12 04:46 AM
    Thank you @Alexander Molodtsov for doing a great job, to port ScummVM on our PlayBook.
    I have a question ! Which OS do u use ?
    Because I've tried to put ScummVM on my 2.0.0.7111 but all games I launch, it comes back on the main screen (springboard) ! :'(
    Which config do u use for the games ?
    02-05-12 02:06 AM
    I just paired my Microsoft bluetooth notebook 5000 mouse and the right click works!! The only issue is the slowdown in music, maybe I need to update the scummvm app but I just don't want the right click ui on the left of the screen. I enjoy a full screen experience for games
    03-17-12 05:16 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD