Check out this screenshot from blackberry.com
    04-21-11 03:12 PM
    Bad news is Skype isnt free
    04-21-11 03:21 PM
    Bad news is that none of those apps are actually available yet.
    04-21-11 03:28 PM
    Bad news is that none of those apps are actually available yet.
    At least the what if is now answered.
    04-21-11 03:29 PM
    That screenshot is quite old. There very well could be those apps in development, but my guess was that they were just placeholders.
    04-21-11 03:29 PM
    yeah these are pre release media shots not the actual app world. eventually you might see those apps actually made
    04-21-11 03:31 PM
    that is a let down
    04-21-11 03:37 PM
    Funny how every one of those apps have a 3-Star rating.
    04-21-11 03:47 PM
    that is a let down
    I wouldnt take it as a let down. Here's my opinion for what its worth....

Right now RIM needs to focus on stabilizing the OS and core apps and completing the core apps such as the bridge (BBM etc), adding polish to the existing apps. I think that will be the primary focus in the next couple months for them will be those things.

But you have to keep in mind where RIM is going in the next year to two. QNX will be the platform our phones run. All the apps that RIM has on the current Java based OS will need to moved over to QNX. There will be the java "app player" in a few months, but I can't see RIM being stupid like that and running their apps in that, it only makes logical sense that they'd code them natively for the QNX OS. So think about all the BB apps that are developed in house at RIM that we currently take for granted, all the messengers (gtalk, aol), bbmaps, new feeds, twitter, facebook, etc... I have a strong suspicion we'll be starting to see those appear in summer/fall...
    04-21-11 03:57 PM
    I'd be fine with it except we were deceived. Most of us saw these shots and the demos. We expected BBM and Skype and more. But once the device was released we found out the apps didn't exist.

My biggest reason for buying the Playbook is bridged BBM. But now it's apparently weeks away. I have enough patience to wait, I'm just disappointed.
    04-21-11 06:51 PM
    why keep it and wait from that month if you are disappointed? return it now and repurchase later. You have 14 days, maybe a little longer before you will not be able to return it no questions asked. Just give it a month to see how everything shapes up so and then buy it a again so you dont get stuck with something leaving you disappointed.
    04-21-11 07:30 PM
    I'd be fine with it except we were deceived. Most of us saw these shots and the demos. We expected BBM and Skype and more. But once the device was released we found out the apps didn't exist.
    Up until earlier today, they still showed Skype and BBM on the Blackberry.com website screenshot of the App Store for the Playbook...

It seems like a nice little device on the whole, but those are pretty key functions for it. It's a weird thing to launch without them.
    04-22-11 04:34 PM
    i have an email from skype, where they told me, that they are working on making apps... but they don't know when it will be ready...
    04-22-11 04:53 PM
    why keep it and wait from that month if you are disappointed? return it now and repurchase later. You have 14 days, maybe a little longer before you will not be able to return it no questions asked. Just give it a month to see how everything shapes up so and then buy it a again so you dont get stuck with something leaving you disappointed.
    Because I still like the device, and I'd eventually buy it anyway so I might as well keep it.
    04-22-11 05:09 PM
    But you have to keep in mind where RIM is going in the next year to two. QNX will be the platform our phones run. All the apps that RIM has on the current Java based OS will need to moved over to QNX. There will be the java "app player" in a few months, but I can't see RIM being stupid like that and running their apps in that, it only makes logical sense that they'd code them natively for the QNX OS. So think about all the BB apps that are developed in house at RIM that we currently take for granted, all the messengers (gtalk, aol), bbmaps, new feeds, twitter, facebook, etc... I have a strong suspicion we'll be starting to see those appear in summer/fall...
    i think your totally right, RIM will want to make the messenger apps and stuff `super apps` like they are currently, with stuff like deep integration into messages and media albums etc, for this to work first they need to pop out the PIM stuff. sure it might take a bit of time, but rome wasnt built in a day
    04-22-11 05:48 PM

My biggest reason for buying the Playbook is bridged BBM. But now it's apparently weeks away. I have enough patience to wait, I'm just disappointed.
    This reminds me of an early demo Microsoft did of the Kinect, maybe 6 months ago, which showed a Netflix app. But they only added Kinect functions into Netflix about a week ago.
    04-22-11 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD