Sooo... I noticed that there are already two 'clones' of my app 'Screamager' in AppWorld. Both only do text scrolling and are in fact crappier than Screamager.

Yet, I felt this was a proper reason to up the ante a bit in the 'LED scroller' category so I took a dive in the code tonight and achieved a breakthrough. I finally beat all performance issues.

I hereby proudly present Screamager 1.1. With custom animations, made by YOU! Running at breakneck speed! Notice the CrackBerry.com animation now running silky smooth.

I will submit this version to AppWorld tomorrow after some polishing. Hope you like it!
    louis.keeper likes this.
    05-14-11 03:23 AM
    I love it!! I really want to purchase this now, I downloaded one of the free 'clones' but it doesn't even come close to comparing with this! Definitely going to have to send my PayPal some money today.
    05-14-11 08:19 AM
    Love it. Thanks for keeping it, and us, updated! Looking forward to seeing the upgrade in App World.
    05-14-11 08:24 AM
    do those animations come pre loaded i know 10ppl right now that would buy this if it has mario preloaded......including me this is great

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 09:49 AM
    Thanks al! And yes all animations demoed are preloaded. And you can create your own at Screamager - The retro-style LED message board
    Last edited by TheMarco; 05-14-11 at 11:17 AM.
    05-14-11 10:51 AM
    Just submitted version 1.1.1 to AppWorld. Updates usually take 5 days or so so stay tuned!

Next things planned for this app are:

- different fonts
    - more animations

If anyone out there wants to submit animations or maybe even a font, PM me!
    For a font you need minor understanding of javascript (very minor) and for animations all you need is to use the tool I created for it.
    05-14-11 11:19 AM
    seriously, im proud to say that this is the first paid app i have downloaded. its awesome keep up the good work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-11 11:15 PM
    Wow thanks Wait till you get the 1.1 version!

I created 3 new animations as well tonight. A throbbing heart, a spinning earth and a double rainbow one. And more to come!

Hope AppWorld will hurry
    05-14-11 11:34 PM
    Here's the new animations I made tonight:

It's EASY to make these! I hope others will try it and send me some good ones. Really good ones will be included in the app!
    05-14-11 11:55 PM
    Thumbs up, I bought it also.
    05-15-11 08:52 AM
    I think it's finished its review process. Update tomorrow. My evidence is that it is #5 most recently updated.
    05-15-11 10:59 AM
    I'm afraid that's just last week's update (1.0.27) which speeds up the sliding UI panels. But not yet the new animation renderer...

1.1.5 is the version to watch. It has the fast animator and the new animations.
    05-15-11 11:33 AM
    I think if I can squeeze out a few more FPS I can start trying to use Screamager's renderer for some super retro-style games.

Pong anyone?

05-15-11 11:32 PM
    Just got an approval email from RIM for version 1.1.5, which is the one with the speed improvements and the new animations. Should show up any time now in AppWorld.
    05-17-11 02:40 PM
    It's not there yet.
    05-17-11 02:59 PM
    if you reset your appworld cache it will show up.

Fire up AppWorld, touch nothing but just bring up the kbd by swiping from the bottom left to the middle and type 'rst'
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    05-17-11 05:05 PM
    In an ever continuing effort to provide more value for your $0.99 we now have both multiple fonts (3 so far, more coming) and four different LED styles: Screamager Classic, Sharp Quad Dots, Dancefloor Tiles and Disco Lights.

Here's a demo!

Note: The video doesn't show the styles all that well but I can guarantee you they look badass.

Submitting to AppWorld tonight or tomorrow!
    05-22-11 01:59 AM
    In an ever continuing effort to provide more value for your $0.99 we now have both multiple fonts (3 so far, more coming) and four different LED styles: Screamager Classic, Sharp Quad Dots, Dancefloor Tiles and Disco Lights.

Here's a demo!

Note: The video doesn't show the styles all that well but I can guarantee you they look badass.

Submitting to AppWorld tonight or tomorrow!
    I want!!!!!
    05-22-11 11:55 AM
    Look for version 2.0 to show up in AppWorld. It has all the new stuff shown in the video and the 'pong' animation I showed earlier.

Thanks all for your support!

This app is moving towards being the most awesome LED display simulator on any platform. I'm porting it to iOS and HP TouchPad soon.

But remember: You saw all the good stuff first on the PlayBook!
    05-22-11 03:21 PM
    2.0 just showed up in AppWorld!
    05-25-11 11:26 PM
    And... it's Featured! Woo hoo!
    06-02-11 06:02 PM
    I like the app - just purchased it. One thing, possible bug, that I wanted to let you know is that in the Text Entry menu, if you hit the "Return" key on the keyboard; it reboots the program so that the opening animation comes up and then the app bounces to the Text Entry menu.

If, however, you press the "close down keyboard" - the icon on the bottom of the left hand side of the keyboard, this will not occur.
    06-04-11 08:23 PM
    I like the app - just purchased it. One thing, possible bug, that I wanted to let you know is that in the Text Entry menu, if you hit the "Return" key on the keyboard; it reboots the program so that the opening animation comes up and then the app bounces to the Text Entry menu.

If, however, you press the "close down keyboard" - the icon on the bottom of the left hand side of the keyboard, this will not occur.
    This is some completely messed up platform bug. In some other cases the app 'reboots' as well. It drives me insane! I'm amazed that nobody has complained about it yet until now. It got introduced all the way back with SDK 0.9.4. I have filed a bug report with the RIM issue tracker but I haven't heard about it yet.

I hope this will get fixed in a future OS update because I'm 100% certain that this cannot be fixed in my code. In fact, 'rebooting the app' is something that should be impossible to do from within the app's code.
    06-04-11 11:27 PM
    Small update. A super helpful RIM employee has finally helped me get to the bottom of the weird issue Darlaten described 2 posts back. Thanks to his efforts the problem has now been fixed and the 'restart' bug is gone in version 2.0.0.21 which should come out in a few days!
    06-24-11 09:17 AM
    someoneshould make sports ones, like Texas Longhorns
    10-27-11 01:40 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD