On the same note .. I would appreciate some guidance from CB (or anyone on this thread) about how the Java 10 issue should be handled on our devices. I didn't even pick up on this until this morning. Dept of Homeland Security is recommending Java (not JavaScript) be disabled. I can only find JavaScript on my Berries. Is this a concern?
    There is no Java virtual machine In Tablet OS nor in BB10. This total lack of support means that noting can (or needs to be) turned off on the PlayBook. BlackBerrry smartphones do run a version of Java, specifically the mobile version known as J2ME. This is a subset of the version of Java may run on your desktop and is not vulnerable to the exploits hinted at in the press. It appears that the exploit only affects Java applets embedded in webpages - not Java apps that run on the desktop. Your BlackBerry smartphone's browser does not support any Java plugins and since the browser cannot run the code, it cannot be affected by the malware that is embedded in certain web pages.

Specific information is hard to come by, but there is some preliminary information at Java zero-day vulnerability actively exploited by attackers | Security - InfoWorld

"Attackers are using such exploits to silently install malware on the computers of users who visit compromised websites, in what are known as drive-by download attacks. The researcher is sharing samples of the exploit with security companies only. "This could be mayhem," he said. "I think it's better to make some noise about it." "We can confirm that this is a new vulnerability," said Bogdan Botezatu, a senior e-threat analyst at antivirus vendor Bitdefender, via email. "We reproduced the exploitation mechanism on Java 1.7 Update 9 and Update 10. Other versions may be vulnerable as well, we're currently analyzing whether other older updates are vulnerable." As far as Bitdefender's tests showed, the exploit is specific to Java 7, Botezatu said."
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 01-12-13 at 03:40 PM.
    KermEd and Techno-Emigre like this.
    01-12-13 03:23 PM
    Thanks so much Buzz! This is good news. It is beyond my level of understanding. I knew my 9850 used some form of JavaScript, so wasn't sure. I wish everyone on CB could see this. I am sure there are many, like myself, who would appreciate it.
    01-12-13 05:40 PM
52 123