When you need to reinstall for whatever reason you have to repurchase at the normal rate. I'd rather buy at a the regular price or not at all.
    07-07-12 07:42 PM
    You don't pay to reinstall an app you have already purchased. It won't charge you again.
    07-07-12 09:13 PM
    I just love when people jump to conclusions without first researching their problem.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    07-07-12 09:32 PM
    I think apps that have increased in price may prompt to buy again. I don't think this applies to apps bought on sale. If in doubt backup your PlayBook.
    07-07-12 10:25 PM
    I've changed prices on my apps at various times and also offered sales, and all buyers at any price can reinstall at any time without a re-purchase.
    07-07-12 10:39 PM
    I just went through this and apps that I bought on sale (not all of them, but most of them) say that the price has changed and I need to purchase at the full price. Well, since I have had my PB since day 1, I have seen all of the sales and intro prices. I am not re-purchasing them at a new, increased price, even if it is an upgrade. In most cases, I was already happy with the version I had. So, since I had to re-install, I have now eliminated many apps from my device. Oh, well! (sigh...)
    07-07-12 10:53 PM
    Also I would like to add if a vendor updates an app, they can add a charge for the update.

For example, lets say I came out with an app that costs 1.99. After a few updates and more work into the app lets say I decided that I would make the app 4.99. Even if you bought the app for 1.99, you'll have to pay the difference because I chose to do that in the BlackBerry Vendor Portal.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-07-12 11:12 PM
    Also I would like to add if a vendor updates an app, they can add a charge for the update.

For example, lets say I came out with an app that costs 1.99. After a few updates and more work into the app lets say I decided that I would make the app 4.99. Even if you bought the app for 1.99, you'll have to pay the difference because I chose to do that in the BlackBerry Vendor Portal.
    Interesting. So OP was actually correct? I can see how folks could get testy about that, even though it isn't ethically wrong.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    07-07-12 11:24 PM
    Interesting. So OP was actually correct? I can see how folks could get testy about that, even though it isn't ethically wrong.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    I don't think it's wrong as long as the customer gets the option to re-install the version they purchased. Sounds like that is not the case.
    tinker2000 and kbz1960 like this.
    07-07-12 11:38 PM
    I've bought and updated many, many apps from App World and have only run into this a couple of times. The only one I can think of off the top of my head was Magellan.

Many of my apps were bought on sale, too, including EA games. None of them tried to re-bill me.

I won't try to say it NEVER happens, but it's a rare occurrence.
    07-07-12 11:40 PM
    I've bought and updated many, many apps from App World and have only run into this a couple of times. The only one I can think of off the top of my head was Magellan.

Many of my apps were bought on sale, too, including EA games. None of them tried to re-bill me.

I won't try to say it NEVER happens, but it's a rare occurrence.
    This is either a rare occurrence or those apps that did try to rebill you might have been doing it on purpose because the vendor chose to do that
    07-08-12 12:01 AM
    What's wrong with it is, if you buy a app for 1.99 version 3.0 and you don't want to pay to upgrade then you should be able to keep the 3.0 version you paid for.

But it's not like this. Once you have to wipe you won't be able to download the 3.0 version you paid for because it is now listed as 4.0 and also 4.99. So you end up with zero for your 1.99 app.

That's what's wrong.
    FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    07-08-12 12:26 AM
    I have seen the odd app want more money.... just do not bother reinstall..... will not pay twice for something... vendor has no legitimate reason to do so....
    07-08-12 12:44 AM
    If you bother to email the app dev they will fix this issue for you or give you a coupon code to remedy the issue. Problem solving skills, you should have them.
    saint613 likes this.
    07-08-12 01:08 AM
    If you bother to email the app dev they will fix this issue for you or give you a coupon code to remedy the issue. Problem solving skills, you should have them.
    You should say "can or might" fix this... There is no guarantee what so ever either way u look at it.. Not allowing you to keep the version you PAID for rather then upgrading and then forcing a new fee is shady businesses no matter how much work the devs put into it :/
    07-08-12 01:25 AM
    What's wrong with it is, if you buy a app for 1.99 version 3.0 and you don't want to pay to upgrade then you should be able to keep the 3.0 version you paid for.

But it's not like this. Once you have to wipe you won't be able to download the 3.0 version you paid for because it is now listed as 4.0 and also 4.99. So you end up with zero for your 1.99 app.

That's what's wrong.
    Exactly. And with the mediocre success of using Desktop Manager to backup apps, well, FAIL. There should be a better way to backup individual apps rather than this huge backup by DM which may fail more often than it succeeds. I've also lost a few apps that were upgraded that I did not want to repurchase for a higher price.
    07-08-12 01:58 AM
    Not saying this would happen but who's to say they did anything at all to validate an upgrade price?
    07-08-12 06:39 AM
    This does happen and from what I've read as a consumer it's an App World bug/issue. Eg, some apps are introduced free/low price then the next version has a license fee increase. Fair nuff. But I should still be able to download - i.e. install - the app I originally licensed. Magellan was mentioned in this thread and others that stung me include Tofu, Muffin Knight, PlayEpub Book Reader, and Mindmaps.

Analogy: Just cos Adobe released Photoshop CS6 doesn't mean they should prevent me from installing CS5 or whatever prior version I have a license for.

The App World issue is that there is no legal way to download and install the original version unless you back up every time you buy an app - and the RIM software for Mac sucks for that.
    07-08-12 08:21 AM
    Another thing RIM, app world and devs need to fix.
    07-08-12 08:37 AM
    The other issue/bug is that if an upgrade comes out at a new price, you can never eliminate the constant Notification that an upgrade is available even if you are satisfied with the current version. I've got two constant nags in that respect.
    07-08-12 09:46 AM
    In my opinion, it's one thing to charge for an app that used to be free, and then the vendor decided to charge for it, that's fine (though still a frustrating surprise sometimes. :P). However, if you buy an app and later the vendor changes the price, you should not have to pay for it again. If you got to keep the previous version, fine, but I think even that isn't right.

If you already paid for it, you should get it. While I understand devs need and deserve money, what they charged you the first time should be what they charged you the first time and that's the end of it.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't exactly the same, but I've got games on Steam that were completely free when I downloaded them, that now cost money, and I have never and will never have to pay for them. Though I would understand if I did, because those games were free, it doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't want to pay $5 for a great app and then find later they want another $5 because the next version costs $10.
    Murados likes this.
    07-08-12 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD