A video of someone with a lousy accent

This guy says "Appworld" or "Android" @ 0:13! I can't quite make out his next sentence, but it seems to contain the word "Dalvik"...
    Last edited by omgitsalive; 02-25-11 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Appworld or Android?
    02-25-11 06:40 PM
    ip check please...
    02-25-11 06:47 PM
    I beg your pardon?
    02-25-11 06:49 PM
    He said "appworld" apps...

As a developer I can tell: it's very easy to port android air apps to qnx air apps. But playbook will not run android apps.
    02-25-11 07:19 PM
    He said "appworld" apps...
    hmm... after listening a few more times I'm a bit unsure... but I'll edit the OP into something a little less firm.

Edit: @mod thanks for editing the title, you could even add a question mark to it.
    Last edited by omgitsalive; 02-25-11 at 07:28 PM.
    02-25-11 07:21 PM
    ip check please...
    hahahaha again??? i think their IP thing is off haha but yeah it wouldnt surprise me haha
    Last edited by dsquared2; 02-25-11 at 07:48 PM.
    02-25-11 07:45 PM
    Google wouldn't allow this to happen. But if it happened and we saw Android apps on Playbook, it's a big win for both Google and RIM. Google will generate more income from the Ads, Playbook will have more apps in it's catalog. Big portion of the market will be shared by Google and RIM. I think what's happening with Apple is just a bubble that will burst in the near future bcz of it's greedy 30% share policy. Everybody will eat from it's share until it becomes number 4 or 5 in this business. They're sadly started not to play it correct.
    02-26-11 04:39 AM
    ip check please...
    +1

February 2011 seems to be a popular month to sign up to be a member of CB & they all flock to the PB forums.
    02-26-11 04:41 AM
    It's been suggested a few times that it might be possible to run android apps on the playbook. Its something to do with the java virtual machine i think...

But its also been said that based on what we currently know it would take a lot of work, because android run off dalvik, and the new PB os does not... *shrug* I'm not an expert, but its something like that.

Still I definitely think that its something that is worth pursuing for RIM. It would definitely give the PB and anything else on the new OS some real swank in the consumer space, but retaining BB's awesome enterprise stuff. It'd be a massive kick to the apple-closed eco system for their biggest competitors to be holding hands like that , and that too is a good thing.

Here's hoping!
    02-26-11 07:22 AM
    +1

February 2011 seems to be a popular month to sign up to be a member of CB & they all flock to the PB forums.
    Call me naive, but I'll just take that as a 'Hi new CB member! Thanks for sharing this link with us and welcome to our community! Enjoy your stay!'

Have there been so many idiots lately that you can't even welcome and appreciate (relatively ) normal new members?

To continue on topic, us Europeans must wait until Q2 to even have the PB released in the first place lets hope it'll at least be without the starting bugs and WITH the Android market and Appworld happily living side by side.
    02-27-11 02:03 AM
    Google wouldn't allow this to happen. But if it happened and we saw Android apps on Playbook, it's a big win for both Google and RIM. Google will generate more income from the Ads, Playbook will have more apps in it's catalog. Big portion of the market will be shared by Google and RIM. I think what's happening with Apple is just a bubble that will burst in the near future bcz of it's greedy 30% share policy. Everybody will eat from it's share until it becomes number 4 or 5 in this business. They're sadly started not to play it correct.
    Why does Google have any say in whether or not the PB can run Android apps? They only have a say on whether the PB can access those apps through the Android Market. So, all RIM has to do to circumvent that is allow devs to upload their Android app as is to the BBAW.
    02-27-11 08:54 AM
    Why does Google have any say in whether or not the PB can run Android apps? They only have a say on whether the PB can access those apps through the Android Market. So, all RIM has to do to circumvent that is allow devs to upload their Android app as is to the BBAW.
    Pretty sure that running android apps on a playbook would violate end user m licnese agreement of market place. I'm sure somewhere in the fine print it says only to be run on google hardware/ approved hardware. Which is why I see it being a legal thing for RIM to get away with this. However, and I'm sure google wouldn't care but if rim keeps releasing "leaks" about google android support some tech saavy ppl will do the magic and root their playbooks. I know I will when we are able. RIM turns the blind eye and we are all happy. My two cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 12:55 PM
    He clearly says Android.

And also, why the **** would he say "we support App world apps".
    02-27-11 01:36 PM
    Easier question: Why the **** would RIM launch a new tab device that can only run appworld apps?
    02-27-11 02:55 PM
    Easier question: Why the **** would RIM launch a new tab device that can only run appworld apps?
    Hmmmm... ask Google and Apple. Thats their policy.

If the PB doesn't support Android apps, no big deal for me. Its just a bonus if they do.
    02-27-11 03:16 PM
    I'm sure anybody who knew enough about the PlayBook to know that they would be supporting Android apps would be able to close an app on the first try, not the 5th or 6th...
    02-27-11 03:34 PM
    android apps will work with the playbook, maybe not at the official release of it but they will. Talked to a couple rim reps and they confirmed last week
    02-28-11 08:41 AM
    android apps will work with the playbook, maybe not at the official release of it but they will. Talked to a couple rim reps and they confirmed last week
    I call shenanigans.
    02-28-11 09:11 AM
    honestly i will only believe this happening when i see it. and i want to see an actual APK loaded and running on the thing. not an android app "ported" to run
    02-28-11 09:37 AM
    honestly i will only believe this happening when i see it. and i want to see an actual APK loaded and running on the thing. not an android app "ported" to run
    He just said it, nobody asksed you to believe it.

Remind us to call RIM when they're done to send you an example of an Android app working on the device. To make it official just for you!

Is this really the general quality of this forum and its posters? I'm already sorry I signed up to share the news...
    02-28-11 10:25 AM
    Please remove the '[Rumour]' tag from my topic now kthxbai?

03-25-11 01:29 AM
    Can someone please clarify to me about this?

The android apps will ONLY support the playbook? So mobile devices won't benefit the apps? That would be a shame. I love blackberry and if getting the large android FREE apps would be given to the mobile users for blackberry, then heck yeah!!!
    03-26-11 12:49 AM
    yes only the PB. Maybe in a year when they have QNX on handhelds but not before then
    03-26-11 01:10 AM
    yes only the PB. Maybe in a year when they have QNX on handhelds but not before then
    aww man, was a little excited over the transition but now that, that is the case, i can only hope that RIM is able to grow its app world fast and well. been dying to get good, free apps around to maximize my berry. thanks
    03-26-11 01:31 AM
    After the news recently, shouldn't "[rumor]" be replaced by "[confirmed]"?

03-26-11 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD