NetFlix in Canada sucks. The shows are years behind. I will DL my stuff illegally and pay out the *** for every channel on TV.
    patpatiar likes this.
    02-03-12 01:16 AM
    Well, it would be good just to have it so that people can stop whining...
    Barljo and sushistew like this.
    02-03-12 01:19 AM
    I'd be happy with Silverlight support...do we really need a Netflix app

Silverlight would give me access to Bell TV Online as well!
    02-03-12 07:49 AM
    I'd be happy with Silverlight support...do we really need a Netflix app

Silverlight would give me access to Bell TV Online as well!
    Silverlight support still wouldn't guarantee Netflix access. Hulu is flash-based and look how well they embrace the PlayBook.
    02-03-12 07:59 AM
    Very true!
    Zwickliffe likes this.
    02-03-12 08:09 AM
    I can confirm that the auth app for netflix is currently installed and working on all OS 2.0 devices. It is able to grab info from the trusted platform module which is necessary for the DRM to work.

All it's missing is the app that communicates with the Netflix API.
    02-03-12 09:05 AM
    I can confirm that the auth app for netflix is currently installed and working on all OS 2.0 devices. It is able to grab info from the trusted platform module which is necessary for the DRM to work.

All it's missing is the app that communicates with the Netflix API.
    Well this sounds very promising. Thanks for the info!
    02-03-12 12:31 PM
    I'm still figuring for 2.0. Would make sense. If nothing else for a re-package of the android version.
    The Android Player does not support Netflix. It's basically guaranteed it never will as Netflix depends on lower level DRM hooks.

If we're getting Netflix it'll be native.
    02-03-12 01:23 PM
    Wow, interesting... this kinda sounds promising! Based on what is currently in 2.0 Beta, it sounds like RIM may have a working (or close) Netflix app ready for public launch. They just "broke it" for the beta because they didn't want consumer products on there yet. They also figured no one would root the playbook and inevitably find the Netflix files left on there.

NeatO!
    02-03-12 03:17 PM
    The Android Player does not support Netflix. It's basically guaranteed it never will as Netflix depends on lower level DRM hooks.

If we're getting Netflix it'll be native.

Yeah, I know it doesnt right now. I didnt realize it was a lower level DRM hook issue. I figured it was just one of the things not polished out yet.
    Last edited by RoboticGolem; 02-03-12 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo
    02-03-12 04:40 PM
    For one, CS Reps would have no idea, until they got the memo from higher up. Secondly, why would they have Reps admit it was coming to the PB for the past 5-8 months and have people cry and moan that its not out yet.

Makes sense to me. OS2 is almost upon us and they finally got the info from the Dev team.

That said, I could care less for myself, as I dont pay for Netflix streaming. However, I hope it does come soon for the Platform's sake.
    I agree with you, most CS reps lack knowledge about almost everything, but I asked them anyway over the last couple of months hoping to get lucky. My guess is, if Netflix was going to be released with 2.0 we would have heard something before now. Like I said in my previous post.....I will believe it when I see it
    02-03-12 04:45 PM
    This is fantastic news (if true). Find a way to get a Slingplayer app. on there as well and I'll be in heaven.
    02-03-12 06:09 PM
    NetFlix in Canada sucks. The shows are years behind. I will DL my stuff illegally and pay out the *** for every channel on TV.
    Depends on what you're looking for. New blockbusters? No. But there are a lot of great TV series (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead) and some foreign, documentary, and classic films on there that I don't get otherwise in the remote community I live in.

It's totally worth it for me.
    02-03-12 06:17 PM
    like i said in page 1, its in the device, it needs more to it. OS 2 will be good, but not fix everything u expect. don't get hopes to high.
    02-03-12 08:26 PM
    The Playbook does not NEED Netflix..It NEEDS Skype!
    02-04-12 12:07 AM
    The Playbook does not NEED Netflix..It NEEDS Skype!
    Politely disagree. It needs both.

I've never used Skype much, simply because I don't know many other people who do as well. Now, Netflix... I'd have a LOT of use for that. My notebook gets about 2 hours of battery life tops, and my Android phones just have too small a screen. If the Playbook had Netflix that would save me the trouble of carrying around my laptop and charger everywhere I think I'm going to have a few hours of down-time or a layover. The Playbook no doubt has some of the best cameras I've seen on a tablet, and the mics are amazing, but media wise the Playbook is boss. I wouldn't turn down either app though...
    monicainhawaii likes this.
    02-04-12 12:16 AM
    I don't use either. The reason I say it don't need netflix but it does need skype is because I think its essential for the tablet to survive. Unless they can make it to where the existing video chat can connect with other platforms aside from just playbook to playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    02-04-12 02:41 AM
    I would consider signing up for Netflix if they came out with a PlayBook app coinciding with OS2.0.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    02-04-12 03:48 AM
    I don't use either. The reason I say it don't need netflix but it does need skype is because I think its essential for the tablet to survive. Unless they can make it to where the existing video chat can connect with other platforms aside from just playbook to playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    See, I run a side business of technology consultant/computer-device repair. Everyone I've shown my Playbook to has been very impressed with it. Most have iOS devices and a few have Android tablets, mainly Samsung Galaxy Tab's...lol. I've never once seen a Xoom or any other Android tablet. But back to my story... almost every single person I've talked to about the Playbook asks about Netflix. I have to tell them that it doesn't have Netflix, and that's an instant no-buy for a LOT of my customers. Netflix is a BIG selling point for a platform, believe it or not.

Meanwhile, I don't believe I've ever been asked if the Playbook had Skype.
    02-04-12 04:05 AM
    If the video store that RIM is supposedly coming out with is really good I'm not too worried about having Netflix on the PlayBook. But if it isn't I'll probably get Netflix.
    02-04-12 04:12 AM
    Seeing other threads in the last couple days that seem to corroborate that it's actually coming
    02-10-12 08:53 AM
    BUMP. Now that OS 2.0 is out can people post any findings in here? I am willing to bet we see an Netflix app pretty soon, but then again who the heck knows..

RB
    02-22-12 11:29 AM
    Called Netflix today and was told by CSR that RIM was responsible for the app.

From the way she responded, it sounded like they must be getting a few of these calls.

Her stance was that RIM was ensuring the app worked on their upcoming smartphones as well as the PlayBook, so the ball was completely in RIM's court as to when it would be released.
    02-22-12 11:44 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD