I'm planning to develop a simple rss feed app. However I was wondering if it legal or Ilegal to add a website that is not owned by me.

For example can I add espn.go.com or am I not allowed.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    07-24-12 11:42 AM
    Yeah, it should be fine. (I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word as proper legal advice, but there are plenty of apps out there that do this sort of thing without any problems). At worst case, I imagine they'll contact you and ask you to remove the app.
    zma15 likes this.
    07-24-12 12:11 PM
    I'm planning to develop a simple rss feed app. However I was wondering if it legal or Ilegal to add a website that is not owned by me.

For example can I add espn.go.com or am I not allowed.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
    If you make an ESPN app and u pull ESPN feeds and all you do is espn then I would definitely contact ESPN first. Also, i would hold off on making your own rss app because the App Generator from MIPPIN does this really easily. So it would probably save you effort but thats just my 2 cents.
    zma15 likes this.
    07-24-12 02:05 PM
    I wouldnt worry myself. RSS feeds are intended to be parsed by RSS parse utils. It is good practice to let users know where the feed is from, but thats it.

RSS feeds are designed ecifically so folks can use them in news and apps.

Just remember to include code for what it should do if the xml is moved by espn, what it should do if there is no network, and what it should do if the rss feed is filled with garbage.

Some companies mix ads into their RSS for income purposes and sometimes those ads have unfriendly rss code.
    squished18 and zma15 like this.
    07-25-12 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD