So they made an app for Rogers Cup...but rogers cup is over and they never bothered to release this great looking app....I am having difficulty what RIM wants or does???
    You make something that you don't release and show it as a demo is a Major event
    C'mon whats the point...

Is this a general theme to show us stuff that never will show the light of the day.
    10-18-11 06:18 PM
    Great expectations.....epic failure. How the **** can a business be run like this ?
    10-18-11 06:24 PM
    Cause of course ......you could do so much better ......right ???
    10-18-11 08:01 PM

i don't think it's a matter of whether or not the OP can "do so much better". The OP has a raised a valid point, in that the purpose of the APP would be better served if it was to be released when the Rogers Cup was ongoing.

Maybe its just me, but after watching, almost the entire session today, i am still left confused as to which direction RIM wants to go. Today was an excellent opportunity for them to create excitement and buzz by unveiling some sort of a 'road map'.

I want them to succeed as much as any devoted crackberry enthusiast might, but considering the comment by Jim Balsille from yesterday, there was definitely an expectation that something more concrete would be announced. While i recognize that this is a 'developer's' convention, it is a well known fact that a lot rides on the way that this unfolds.

With that being said, I guess, today was only day one. Hopefully, RIM 'blows us away' in the next few days..

Cheers
    10-18-11 08:09 PM
    i agree pp.bl, RIM has been bringing up the rear for quite a while. What really irks me is the RIMiots who blightly promote/defend Blackberry all the while ignoring RIM's continuous failures. im a loyal BB and PB user, but i cant walk around wearing rose coloured glasses. if these RIMiots lived the rest of their lives like that, "Oh, you broke your promise AGAIN! thats ok. he he" No one asked RIM to make the PB so they need to put their money where their mouth is. so Jifffer, you need to accept that RIM has messed up again and stop deflecting the blame.
    10-18-11 08:17 PM
    I watched that portion and it was a demo of an html5 site... not an app built for playbook. It just happened to be a slick demo of html5 built for the rogers cup
    10-18-11 08:21 PM
    oh. never mind. :$
    10-18-11 08:49 PM
    Don't get me wrong ......I'd love for the PB to act as a teleporter, a time traveling machine or better yet as the device to cure cancer ....but let's face it, that's not going to happen. Not trying to cover for RIM or the 2 co clowns at RIM .....but the product as is - is just fine by me. Somewhat disappointing for the people who bought the PB thinking it was going to destroy the iPad ......this little tablet does pretty much all I need ..... I obviously did not buy this with the hope that it could do everything under the sun. Listen, you can always go back to your Laptop / Notebook / Netbook ........yeah, I didn't think so !
    10-18-11 08:50 PM
    Great expectations.....epic failure. How the **** can a business be run like this ?
    Wether you believe it or not the truth is its early days, we all know RIM is in catch up mode in many not all regards. The ground needs to be prepaired, then seeded next to be grown and cultivated. RIM is getting the ground right first. There will be another Rogers cup i'm sure.
    10-18-11 10:40 PM
    So they made an app for Rogers Cup

nope FAIL iv read so many of your trolling posts, it was a website, not an app.
    jesse_h and Barljo like this.
    10-18-11 10:55 PM
    dude i hope youre joking! if i do a surgical procedure on someone and it goes wrong, i cant say "like you can do better?" and expect that to be a valid excuse.

just because many of us have the temerity to point out the many short comings of this device does not mean our concerns are not valid.

personally i am perpetually disappointed with bb products. i am completely satisfied with apple products. sadly for rim, many people share my opinion and that does not bode well for rim in the long run.
    10-19-11 12:38 AM
    So they made an app for Rogers Cup...but rogers cup is over and they never bothered to release this great looking app....I am having difficulty what RIM wants or does???
    You make something that you don't release and show it as a demo is a Major event
    C'mon whats the point...

Is this a general theme to show us stuff that never will show the light of the day.
    OK folks. Here's why the Rogers Cup app was not available.....it was ONLY given to SELECTED VIP's! Get your facts straight.

Here's the link to the press release: X2O Media Takes Home Two Awards at InfoComm 2011

Here's the company's website:
    Dynamic Digital Signage Software and Content €“ X2O Media

Don't blame RIM on this please...
    Last edited by greatwiseone; 10-19-11 at 03:01 AM.
    aminrajabi and visceralberry like this.
    10-19-11 01:05 AM
    dude i hope youre joking! if i do a surgical procedure on someone and it goes wrong, i cant say "like you can do better?" and expect that to be a valid excuse.
    (I've re-read my post. Please note it's all on the level and does not contain sarcasm).

I would hope not. As a surgeon, what you do is important to the world, and I have complete admiration for someone with that skill and commitment. Without surgeons, the world would be very different and not in a good way.

I work in insurance. This is not important to the world - if I foul up, nothing happens except that we make sure that the client is eventually put back in the correct position. Without insurance workers, the world would not be different.

I would ally the playbook much more with my (frankly) unimportant line of work than that of a surgeon. Does it make a difference? No. Is it important in the grand scheme of things? No.

[edited to add: I have a PB, and I like it. It does exactly what I knew it would when I bought it. Anything else is a bonus, but hardly calamitous if it doesn't work, like, NOW!!!!11!1111!!!onesixsixone]
    Last edited by Barljo; 10-19-11 at 08:13 AM.
    10-19-11 02:49 AM
    Wether you believe it or not the truth is its early days, we all know RIM is in catch up mode in many not all regards. The ground needs to be prepaired, then seeded next to be grown and cultivated. RIM is getting the ground right first. There will be another Rogers cup i'm sure.
    You realize we are in the autumn already when harvesting should be well underway or wrapping up. You do not plant seeds in autumn; autumn is time for harvesting the crops which were planted during the spring and early summer in the cultivated fields. I am sure you can map the analogy to the BlackBerry PlayBook operating system, applications, and even the seasons. Do the co-CEOs believe Waterloo is in the southern hemisphere or another planet?
    10-19-11 06:19 AM
    nope FAIL iv read so many of your trolling posts, it was a website, not an app.
    Dear troll hunter, this was not an website available to and as app available to selected customers:
    X2O Media Takes Home Two Awards at InfoComm 2011
    10-19-11 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD