According to this report, RIM says they will pay potential app devs up to $10,000 for the first year of sales if the devs hasn't earned that much from a certified app. Man! That really sounds good! And one would think it's good. But the problem is, Microsoft and maybe Apple will probably be inclined to pay those devs $20,000 or more right up front not to develop for the Playbook.

RIM offers developers $10,000 incentive for certified apps -- Engadget
    raremage likes this.
    05-01-12 02:07 PM
    But the problem is, Microsoft and maybe Apple will probably be inclined to pay those devs $20,000 or more right up front not to develop for the Playbook.

They'd get themselves into a heap of trouble if they did.
    app_Developer and polytope like this.
    05-01-12 02:26 PM
    But the problem is, Microsoft and maybe Apple will probably be inclined to pay those devs $20,000 or more right up front not to develop for the Playbook.

nope dont think apple or microsoft would do such a thing. only a dummy would assume a big company like apple and ms would do that sort of thing.
    05-01-12 02:30 PM
    Gee, we now have corporations rewarding failure. First, it was a trophy for every kid in a game...both winning team and losing team. Then it became the lowering of standards for high school graduation, so that we can artificially deflate the number of high school drop outs. Forget the C/2.0 GPA as a requirement for graduation from college; now they're talking about a D/1.0 GPA as the minimum GPA for graduation; just a few examples of how we as a peoples, have accepted absolute mediocrity as the new normal.

So, a developer makes a crap app, gets it "certified", it still sucks, sales are in the toilet, and RIM wants to reward the developer for that crap app??? Worked real well giving out those PB's to app developers...
    sam_b77 likes this.
    05-01-12 02:32 PM
    nope dont think apple or microsoft would do such a thing. only a dummy would assume a big company like apple and ms would do that sort of thing.
    They do it all the time with particular high-profile apps and games. MS has been known to pay certain devs not to dev a game for other systems. I think it's more related to the XBOX than smartphone apps, though. Sony has done it also.
    05-01-12 02:34 PM
    Sounds good, looks like the dev will have to put SOME effort into this one atleast
    05-01-12 02:35 PM
    I would like more details on what a certified app is. Hopefully the JAM session will be available to all vendor/developers sometime soon after the conference.
    05-01-12 02:35 PM
    Gee, we now have corporations rewarding failure. First, it was a trophy for every kid in a game...both winning team and losing team. Then it became the lowering of standards for high school graduation, so that we can artificially deflate the number of high school drop outs. Forget the C/2.0 GPA as a requirement for graduation from college; now they're talking about a D/1.0 GPA as the minimum GPA for graduation; just a few examples of how we as a peoples, have accepted absolute mediocrity as the new normal.

So, a developer makes a crap app, gets it "certified", it still sucks, sales are in the toilet, and RIM wants to reward the developer for that crap app??? Worked real well giving out those PB's to app developers...
    Thay have to be "Fair". All Developers should be on the same level, if you have a developer that makes GREAT Apps, AND they sell, well, then, there might a developer that is not as good, or the App is ***p. They have to spread the "App Wealth" around........ to be "fair"........

Tongue in BOTH CHEEKS..............

In reality, IF you work hard, and bring a good product to market, you will/should succeed.

In reality, if you don't put in the effort, just coast, just throw something in to say "you contributed", and then that person feels "left behind", or slighted, well then, That's they're fault/problem. Nothing is gauranteed in life, except death.

Kind of how our society is headed (at this time)..................

Scary.

C
    05-01-12 02:42 PM
    "...there is one catch: to qualify, you'll need to not only earn quality certification, you'll also have to generate $1,000 on your own accord." -engadget
    05-01-12 02:44 PM
    Thay have to be "Fair". All Developers should be on the same level, if you have a developer that makes GREAT Apps, AND they sell, well, then, there might a developer that is not as good, or the App is ***p. They have to spread the "App Wealth" around........ to be "fair"........

Tongue in BOTH CHEEKS..............

In reality, IF you work hard, and bring a good product to market, you will/should succeed.

In reality, if you don't put in the effort, just coast, just throw something in to say "you contributed", and then that person feels "left behind", or slighted, well then, That's they're fault/problem. Nothing is gauranteed in life, except death.

Kind of how our society is headed (at this time)..................

Scary.

C
    And taxes...
    05-01-12 02:47 PM
    The app has to make at least $1000 in the first year for RIM to increase it to $10000 (i.e. max they'll actually pay is $9000, as I understand it). So developers have to make it good enough for that. And the idea is probably that RIM won't have to fulfil this offer too much, because they will be trying to entice apps that will generate the $10000 revenue anyway.
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    05-01-12 02:59 PM
    it will be a war of tablets...considering there's already a war going on between Microsoft , Google and Android tablets...
    gimpy666 likes this.
    05-01-12 03:17 PM
    it will be a war of tablets...considering there's already a war going on between Microsoft , Google and Android tablets...
    Not much of a war. MS gets about 5% revenue from every Android device sold.
    05-01-12 03:20 PM
    Not much of a war. MS gets about 5% revenue from every Android device sold.
    ok but don't u think that the increasing share of the Android tablets cuttin out of Apple's share is a threat to Apple?

the war here between Apple & Android
    05-01-12 03:27 PM
    ok but don't u think that the increasing share of the Android tablets cuttin out of Apple's share is a threat to Apple?

the war here between Apple & Android
    No doubt. But MS would certainly love to see Android continue and sell well. The more Android sells, the more money MS makes.

As far as Apple is concerned, Jobs is a ghost now and they can actually begin to license whatever technology Android uses that belongs to them. This is what MS did. But Jobs wanted Android dead and gone rather than licensing deals.
    05-01-12 03:31 PM
    No doubt. But MS would certainly love to see Android continue and sell well. The more Android sells, the more money MS makes.

As far as Apple is concerned, Jobs is a ghost now and they can actually begin to license whatever technology Android uses that belongs to them. This is what MS did. But Jobs wanted Android dead and gone rather than licensing deals.
    ur right ..look..eventually Microsoft is happy

but Apple i think is frustrated ...because Android's share is increasing ..

Apple has nothin new to introduce ..at least they don't want to ..they are milkin the IPad ...
    and they are expensive...as well as the IPad apps

but not the Android ..u can have any thing for free..and that what is teasin Apple
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-01-12 03:36 PM
    They do it all the time with particular high-profile apps and games. MS has been known to pay certain devs not to dev a game for other systems. I think it's more related to the XBOX than smartphone apps, though. Sony has done it also.
    Got any info/links to back up these claims?
    05-01-12 03:47 PM
    ur right ..look..eventually Microsoft is happy

but Apple i think is frustrated ...because Android's share is increasing ..

Apple has nothin new to introduce ..at least they don't want to ..they are milkin the IPad ...
    and they are expensive...as well as the IPad apps

but not the Android ..u can have any thing for free..and that what is teasin Apple
    And yet, every single Android vendor and Google would trade their financials for Apple's. Every single one. Market share is great, but if you're giving up profit to get it, it's impractical.
    05-01-12 04:01 PM
    Got any info/links to back up these claims?
    I Googled the information but wasn't able to find cold, hard facts other than the MS anti-trust suit. I can't even remember where I read that about them. I do know it's related to exclusionary tactics where a particular high-profile game will have an exclusive on one system for a period of time.

But in any case, MS is known to do things they shouldn't do. Here is the legal proof.

U.S. v. Microsoft: Court's Findings of Fact
    05-01-12 04:04 PM
    And yet, every single Android vendor and Google would trade their financials for Apple's. Every single one. Market share is great, but if you're giving up profit to get it, it's impractical.
    Ahh...so its not about, market share when it comes to Apple....OK then.
    05-01-12 04:11 PM
    Apple did this from the word go and spent big bucks... a clever move to bring in big useful apps from top devs and established services. A real shame RIM got in to bed with Adobe on release and brought nothing or bare bones to the deal with a useless PDF reader. The EA deal kinda worked I guess, but EA support games in iOS to a far greater extent.

MS needn't worry... Mango is out on the Nokia and are still pre windows 8 and have all the apps I need already. I think they will have a bright app future.
    05-01-12 04:12 PM
    i think because Apple has a long breath in battles ...it won't go down easily ..
    05-01-12 04:15 PM
    Hmm. So let's see.... if I'm willing to purchase $1,000 dollars worth of X's software, X and I could split $10,000. Not bad. HEY, anybody want to enter into a purchase and sale and commission agreement!!!!!!
    Marty_LK and offthahorseceo like this.
    05-01-12 04:26 PM
    Hmm. So let's see.... if I'm willing to purchase $1,000 dollars worth of X's software, X and I could split $10,000. Not bad. HEY, anybody want to enter into a purchase and sale and commission agreement!!!!!!
    LOL...I think the app requires certification first. And if it's going to pass certification, it will sell well enough to begin with. If the certification process is anything like Apple's, good luck...lol
    05-01-12 04:30 PM
    I think you are referring to when they have a deal where they have exclusive rights, and it would mean that they are the only platform and no other can have it. But they would have to pay allot to do this as they would own its copyright and if the app did not do well it would be a waste. Also the developer would need it to pay off as they would be limiting their audience.. Not really worth the trouble...
    05-01-12 06:08 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD