Whats going on with the Kindle app, and other promised and showed off apps like Skype? I love my PB, and everything it does thus far but man, this is a little let down.

One of the main reason why I brought a Playbook was so that I can use it as an eReader. And with the anouncement from Amazon or RIM last year stating that they would support Playbooks, sold me. Now the question I have is, WHERE IS IT?

I'm guessing Amazon is just going to release the KINDLE WEB reader, in hopes everyone can use it on a mobile device.
    07-31-11 10:57 PM
    I am upset about the lack of Kindle app too. I dont want any web based BS either. I am so close to buying a Kindle and it is ridiculous.
    08-01-11 02:26 AM
    Check the sticky above for working android apps on the PlayBook's android player (the leaked one). It looks like the Kindle app works.

EDIT: Here's the link
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...r-apps-631724/
    Last edited by lotuslanderz; 08-01-11 at 02:59 AM.
    08-01-11 02:56 AM
    Kindle app in Android Player works.
    08-01-11 03:04 AM
    And people have had some major issues with the sideloaded Android player. No thanks. Native Kindle, please. Or a fully supported Android player.
    MobileGlick likes this.
    08-01-11 05:59 AM
    yeah this is one of many apps that still haven't been released. almost 4 months after the release of the playbook, and the selection of good apps is really sparse. pretty sure RIM is still dropping the ball on this one. don't vet me wrong i like my BlackBerries, but i'm really annoyed to the point where i'm considering purchasing android or apple products because i'm tired of waiting. its been 10 months since the kindle app was announced and still no app. these guys are almost forrest gump slow..
    08-01-11 07:15 AM
    yeah this is one of many apps that still haven't been released. almost 4 months after the release of the playbook, and the selection of good apps is really sparse. pretty sure RIM is still dropping the ball on this one. don't vet me wrong i like my BlackBerries, but i'm really annoyed to the point where i'm considering purchasing android or apple products because i'm tired of waiting. its been 10 months since the kindle app was announced and still no app. these guys are almost forrest gump slow..

I don't really understand how this is RIM's ball that has been dropped and not Amazons Ball

Amazon announced last September they would make a Kindle App, yet none has been made, RIM said their Native SDK would be released in the Fall, it is not fall yet.

Amazon is the company that needs to write the app, they either didn't request a Beta SDK or chose to ignore the Playbook.

Contact Amazon!!
    Anonymous94587689 likes this.
    08-01-11 07:32 AM
    And people have had some major issues with the sideloaded Android player. No thanks. Native Kindle, please. Or a fully supported Android player.
    What major issues are you referring to? My Kindle app works flawlessly on the Android player. I sideloaded tons of mobi files!
    08-01-11 07:42 AM
    Go search the forums here. The problems are out there. If I am going to rely on something for more than a toy, I am not going to put unsupported software on it.
    08-01-11 07:48 AM
    I'm constantly on these forums...other than folks not knowing how to install it, I haven't seen much...but I'll take your word for it.
    08-01-11 07:50 AM
    Does anyone know about the nook player? Will it be available? I don't want to bash anyone who enjoys their Kindle, but my preference is the nook. Right now I am carrying around my PB and my nook. I would like to be able to pass my nook on to my sister soon. Thanks for any info!
    08-01-11 08:12 AM
    Kindle works GREAT on my Playbook! (Android Player)

Does anyone know about the nook player? Will it be available? I don't want to bash anyone who enjoys their Kindle, but my preference is the nook. Right now I am carrying around my PB and my nook. I would like to be able to pass my nook on to my sister soon. Thanks for any info!
    I have not tried Nook, saw it on the list of non working Android Apps and didn't even try it. I have not heard about them working on a native version.
    08-01-11 08:14 AM
    I don't really understand how this is RIM's ball that has been dropped and not Amazons Ball

Amazon announced last September they would make a Kindle App, yet none has been made, RIM said their Native SDK would be released in the Fall, it is not fall yet.

Amazon is the company that needs to write the app, they either didn't request a Beta SDK or chose to ignore the Playbook.

Contact Amazon!!
    I don't fully agree with this. Blackberry wrote the Facebook app for PB. It is great and they did it, not Facebook. They write the Twitter and FB apps for Blackberry phones. They are way behind on getting a Native SDK out, fall may be 6 months plus after release! Why can't RIM develop some more 3rd party apps like they did with the Facebook app? Given that they aren't giving developers the proper tools to make their own yet, and their is a huge deficiency in the "major" apps like Netflix, Kindle, etc., RIM should be stepping up to the plate and reaching out to companies and offering to assist, pay, or fully write the apps for the companies for the good of the platform. The other option is to get the Android player out officially. They are in a catch22 right now in that people don't want to develop until they know the platform will take off, but the platform won't take off without app development. So IMHO, that means RIM must make the platform more appealing by getting the good, "major" apps on it, and only Facebook isn't going to cut it.
    08-01-11 09:43 AM
    My feeling is that Kindle has decided to port the android app.
    08-01-11 09:49 AM
    My feeling is that Kindle has decided to port the android app.
    I get the feeling that Amazon aren't going to write a native Kindle app for the PlayBook at all. If (when) the PB is supports Android apps, why should Amazon bother writing a BB app when they can just tell people to use the Android version.

I'd prefer a native PB app, but I just can't see it coming.
    OpelBlitz likes this.
    08-01-11 09:53 AM
    I disagree with the post title. What we really need are "enterprise apps" for this supposed enterprise ready device.

Book readers, games and even the "non-official leaked android player" with those apps that work (not all do remember) are band-aids on jugular wound.

RIMM needs to stop the bleeding. Can you say "Pass the tourniquet?"

Or is this a media device to replace my PSP and portable dvd player?
    mandony likes this.
    08-01-11 09:57 AM
    I don't fully agree with this. Blackberry wrote the Facebook app for PB. It is great and they did it, not Facebook. They write the Twitter and FB apps for Blackberry phones. They are way behind on getting a Native SDK out, fall may be 6 months plus after release! Why can't RIM develop some more 3rd party apps like they did with the Facebook app? Given that they aren't giving developers the proper tools to make their own yet, and their is a huge deficiency in the "major" apps like Netflix, Kindle, etc., RIM should be stepping up to the plate and reaching out to companies and offering to assist, pay, or fully write the apps for the companies for the good of the platform. The other option is to get the Android player out officially. They are in a catch22 right now in that people don't want to develop until they know the platform will take off, but the platform won't take off without app development. So IMHO, that means RIM must make the platform more appealing by getting the good, "major" apps on it, and only Facebook isn't going to cut it.

the Kindle App is essentially a store front for Amazons eBook sales, I am SURE that Amazon doesn't give the SDK's to allow people to build their own store fronts for Amazon books how would Amazon control the pricing? control distribution? control copy writes?

each of the Native Blackberry Apps are basically web interfaces or chat protocols adapted for use on the blackberry devices, they are not store fronts for further purchases
    08-01-11 10:05 AM
    each of the Native Blackberry Apps are basically web interfaces or chat protocols adapted for use on the blackberry devices, they are not store fronts for further purchases
    I think this is something most folks aren't grasping
    08-01-11 10:09 AM
    I get the feeling that Amazon aren't going to write a native Kindle app for the PlayBook at all. If (when) the PB is supports Android apps, why should Amazon bother writing a BB app when they can just tell people to use the Android version.

I'd prefer a native PB app, but I just can't see it coming.
    That's what I mean, they will submit the Android App through App World once the Android Player is officially released. The apk works quite well in the leaked beta!
    08-01-11 10:23 AM
    That's what I mean, they will submit the Android App through App World once the Android Player is officially released. The apk works quite well in the leaked beta!
    I think you're spot on there.

Why would Amazon (whose core market is not software development) write and support an extra Kindle app when they don't need to.
    08-01-11 10:29 AM
    Exactly...other than the fact that it's running through the Android player, what difference does it make for you. The Kindle app is super smooth...I think in the end anyone that wants the security of the PB as well as the Android apps will choose the PB over any 7" Android tablet
    08-01-11 10:30 AM
    Amazon doesn't provide an API to their store or Whispernet for 3rd party app developers to utilize.
    08-01-11 10:36 AM
    I've written to Amazon several times to ask about this, and phoned them once. On the phone, I was told that a PB app is in development, and that they want it to provide "the same user experience as the Android and iOS apps." I didn't ask whether it would in fact be the Android app, nor do I think they would have told me if I had asked.

As I've pointed out in another thread, for some of us Kindle isn't just an entertainment app. I teach in a university, and I have a lot of work-related books in my Kindle account. These books are heavily highlighted and annotated, and it's important to me to be able to have access to them, complete with annotations.

I have the Kindle app running on the beta Android player. In fact, it's the only app I've bothered to install for the APlayer. I'm happy to say that it works well enough to use, but not flawlessly. The process of marking text for highlighting is a bit fidgety and easy to screw up. Just having the APlayer open drains the battery much more rapidly than normal PB operations. Changing the type size in the Kindle app is possible, but requires a bit of guesswork. Bookmarks created on the app don't seem to get synced to other devices. It's nice to have the Kindle app in any form at all, but I'll be glad when I can ditch this beta APlayer version and use the real thing.
    08-01-11 10:57 AM
    From Amazon Media Room:News Release

"All Kindle Books let you "Buy Once, Read Everywhere" - on all generation Kindles, as well as on the largest number of devices and platforms, including iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, Mac, PC, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Android-based devices, and soon HP TouchPads and BlackBerry PlayBooks."

So do not blame RIM, and wait for Amazon ...
    08-01-11 11:44 AM
    Can you use the browser on your PlayBook for Kindle access? If so, how effective is it?
    08-01-11 11:49 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD