Is this a bad thing? People talk about Shape like they are gods of software and RIM should bend over backwards to give them free reign on the OS. I've found their apps have terrible UI, bloated, and vastly over priced. The sad thing to me is that Shape services is considered a top tier developer in the BB community. Appalling really.

Shape services probably won't even look at a QNX phone for its apps now. They will release and improve for IOS and Android and say F* RIM.

They only way that could change is if QNX phones blow everything else away and RIM starts taking market share back. Then developers might see a worthwhile return at .99, 1.99 etc. etc. I don't see that happening. The Playbook was supposed to be the beat all to end all of tablets, then it was released with very few available apps. This was supposed to be an "enterprise ready" device and there's nothing of value for the enterprise user.

This is barely a media and internet tablet. Cool gestures aren't going to make businesses embrace this. Functionality and productivity are what counts. And that come from applications that work with their current infrastructure.

The "comming soon" mantra really just gives RIMs competition extra time. The "no we won't let you because we want to do it 1st" attitude toward the development community will insure that the PB and probably the QNX "superphones" will be lacking in one primary area. Applications that actually do something besides fart, burp and play media.
    09-01-11 06:32 PM
    Is this a bad thing? People talk about Shape like they are gods of software and RIM should bend over backwards to give them free reign on the OS. I've found their apps have terrible UI, bloated, and vastly over priced. The sad thing to me is that Shape services is considered a top tier developer in the BB community. Appalling really.
    The point is that it's not about Shape. It's about the entire independant developer community. This will impact development of applications not apps. The cr.apps out there will still make it to app world because some student will develop something for his beginning programming class so he can get an "A". But developing useful applications that require resources to build and support, that will give this thing functionality within the "Enterprise" (remember that term from somewhere?) will be left out.
    TBone4eva likes this.
    09-02-11 04:48 PM
    Touch� sir. I see your reasoning.

The point is that it's not about Shape. It's about the entire independant developer community. This will impact development of applications not apps. The cr.apps out there will still make it to app world because some student will develop something for his beginning programming class so he can get an "A". But developing useful applications that require resources to build and support, that will give this thing functionality within the "Enterprise" (remember that term from somewhere?) will be left out.
    09-02-11 05:28 PM
    So now IM+ is available with video chat on the Ipad yet we still have nothing.

I want RIM to do well as I don't want an all Apple and Google world but really RIM????? You are not leaving the conusmer with a choice. God help you if Apple make a 7" tablet.
    09-02-11 07:40 PM
    Why don't we send a petition to rim with >10000 PB user signatures to ask for changes?
    09-03-11 07:58 AM
    Why don't we send a petition to rim with >10000 PB user signatures to ask for changes?
    Because if they gave a damn it would already have been addressed. They know the skinny. They can read.
    09-03-11 06:33 PM
    In the past Shape has been willing to answer my emails about this issue with App World.

But the last few emails to Shape remain unanswered.

I find this disturbing.

While I am actually a nobody, in the past I have fought effectively for them and
    and now feel they have slammed the door shut not only with RIM but with BB users as well.

It does not make sense for them to bite the hand(s) of those attempting to help them.

I still say RIM is wrong for not treating Shape fairly and delivering on the promise RIMS VP made to them, but Shape should not think they are so high and mighty that they can ignore those that have helped them in the past months.

Maybe it's because I am a CB member and CB has been less then willing to post
    about this second round of RIM lies and mis-steps concerning IM+ on their website.

Tim
    09-07-11 09:57 AM
    well, there is a chance that RIM has forced shape to sign an nda, who knows, maybe shape was given an ndk and told to keep it hush2... maybe im+ is going to be incorporated in os 2.0 as a way for rim to make up for native im clients that it had not had the time to make....
    09-07-11 10:51 AM
    And still nothing. No definitive replies, no ... nothing. This thread dies, left to meander in obscurity, pushed to the back of the thread bus. Wait it out, let the consumers vent while we ignore. They will soon forget.

I don't blame Shape for not pursuing or responding any longer. They are a software development business. They don't have time to play these games. They were denied the opportunity to make a profitable return on their initial investment for no reason other than they were able to do it first. RIM customers were not even allowed the opportunity to judge whether it would be "best".

Perhaps RIM was afraid it would have been better than what they were coming up with? Maybe that is the reason for the delayed messaging apps from RIM? Could they have seen what is possible and how their efforts paled in comparison? "Hey, it this gets out, we won't be able to give ours away!"

This is a bump. Keep this in mind and out front. RIM would like nothing better than to let this issue die.

And so I won't.
    09-12-11 06:45 AM
    Haha, Well, I'm watching and I'm as alert as a ... , anyways, this thread is NOT dead.

And yes, RIM is making something that is simular to the im+ app, it must be.

Very weird game what they play if you ask me.
    09-12-11 02:55 PM
    Haha, Well, I'm watching and I'm as alert as a ... , anyways, this thread is NOT dead.

And yes, RIM is making something that is simular to the im+ app, it must be.

Very weird game what they play if you ask me.

Yeah. It's called BBM.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-12-11 02:59 PM
    Yeah. It's called BBM.
    BBM that can access other IM networks? Most people that I IM with don't use BBM.
    09-12-11 10:17 PM
    I find what has happend with Shape and this app simply to be beyond astonishing now. I also find it somewhat suprising that it hasn't received more attention from various Blackbery fan sites - this one included.

At this point in the game, if I was in charge at Shape, I would pull all support for every Blackberry product (past, present, and future) and publically state that they are no longer supporting RIM and will never support this platform again.
    09-12-11 10:36 PM
    I find what has happend with Shape and this app simply to be beyond astonishing now. I also find it somewhat suprising that it hasn't received more attention from various Blackbery fan sites - this one included.

At this point in the game, if I was in charge at Shape, I would pull all support for every Blackberry product (past, present, and future) and publically state that they are no longer supporting RIM and will never support this platform again.
    It's a good thing you aren't in charge then. They're in the business to make money, not shut out a large portion of their customer base just to make a statement. My guess is if they haven't been in contact with RIM they would've said something by now.
    09-13-11 12:42 AM
    It's a good thing you aren't in charge then. They're in the business to make money, not shut out a large portion of their customer base just to make a statement. My guess is if they haven't been in contact with RIM they would've said something by now.
    Sometimes a matter of principle is the right thing to do. And you are correct, they are in the business of making money - something that is impossible to do on the Playbook because of RIM's handling of this app. This app was submitted to App World May 19th - it is now September 14th. That much of a delay is not how you handle developers. It's shows blatant incompetence on the part of RIM and, worse, sends loud signals to the rest of the development community that working with RIM is a risky. Why spend time, resources, and money developing an app when RIM can hold it up indefinately.

The only platform this app is not available for is the Playbook - funny how no other company, platform, or operating system has an issue with it except for RIM.
    dkingsf likes this.
    09-14-11 12:36 PM
    Sometimes a matter of principle is the right thing to do. And you are correct, they are in the business of making money - something that is impossible to do on the Playbook because of RIM's handling of this app. This app was submitted to App World May 19th - it is now September 14th. That much of a delay is not how you handle developers. It's shows blatant incompetence on the part of RIM and, worse, sends loud signals to the rest of the development community that working with RIM is a risky. Why spend time, resources, and money developing an app when RIM can hold it up indefinately.

The only platform this app is not available for is the Playbook - funny how no other company, platform, or operating system has an issue with it except for RIM.
    Bingo, right on the money.
    09-15-11 08:28 PM
    Maybe rim has licensed it as part of 2.0.. seems strange that shape hasn't said a peep since.
    09-15-11 09:09 PM
    Maybe rim has licensed it as part of 2.0.. seems strange that shape hasn't said a peep since.
    yeah, I agree with you, it is as if RIM had forced them to sign an NDA
    09-16-11 06:25 AM
    If that was the case I don't see why they'd be forced to keep quiet about it. It'd get people off their backs.
    09-16-11 04:09 PM
    All I can say is there is something real fishy here... I remember I bought my pb on may 28, and shape was already showing their pb app on their site and was real happy, I was saying to myself I can't wait till it gets out... Almost 4 big months later nothing yet!
    If it doesn't come out with 2.0 I think it will just never come out!!

Sent from my Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-16-11 05:56 PM
    If that was the case I don't see why they'd be forced to keep quiet about it. It'd get people off their backs.
    well, RIM doesn't want to ruin the surprise of 2.0 launch so they're forcing shape to shut up. It is reasonable I guess, RIM needs so many features with so little time to develop it. So, why not pay big developers to develop apps for the pb..
    09-17-11 01:37 AM
    Still nothing. Shame on you, RIM.
    09-24-11 08:09 PM
    I fear the expectations of 2.0 are going to be so high that it will fall short of the the forums demands.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 06:04 AM
    I fear the expectations of 2.0 are going to be so high that it will fall short of the the forums demands.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Agreed! The same optimism was rampant before the Playbook was released and look how dismal it turned out.

"Enterprise" my A.S.S. It was, and still is, lacking. POS2.0 will not turn this around. RIM missed the boat and no matter how fast they swim they will never catch it now.

They let down their customers, ignored the consumer market and alienated the development community. The co-CEOs are micromanaging the entire company and they don't have a clue between them.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 09-25-11 at 09:25 AM.
    09-25-11 09:22 AM
    Thought I'd let everyone on this thread know that when I saw the news today about Alec Saunders taking over as VP of Dev. Relations at RIM today, I decided to hunt down his Twitter account and ask him if he'd please make it a priority to fix this cluster f**k with @implus for Playbook. It seems he was actually listening to my tweets. He just replied and said he was looking into it! I have hope again! Screenshot attached..
    09-28-11 09:00 PM
101 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD