Is anyone else starting to worry that the fate of the Playbook and RIM itself is not as stable as we had all hoped??

I mean seriously... Lotsa people on here say they love their PB but I think majority are quite disappointed with the extremely slow rollouts of apps (not even 3rd party ones, the native ones that should've come with the device!) and lack of response.. FKAH:LGIHAEOPFUIhaFPOiOFHPOhu
    nah. Obviously RIM has a reason they just don't bother to share it with anybody.

Its funny to think of RIM as a communications company when they don't know the first think about public relations or marketing.
    jvictor77 likes this.
    08-18-11 06:04 AM
    Again, I'm quite confused. Unless Rim proposes charging for THEIR versions (if/when they come), how is competition from 3rd parties an issue. What difference is there if someone wants to use a different client for whatever purpose - browsing, IM-ing? Or is RIM receiving monetary compensation for, say, providing a Facebook client from Facebook?

Does this mean that rim may never approve another 3rd party mapping/gps app because Rim received compensation from MS for using Bing?

Obviously, I'm speculating about the motives for stalling competitive apps. But without info on why, all we can do is speculate about the reasons.
    08-18-11 08:46 AM
    Its funny to think of RIM as a communications company when they don't know the first think about public relations or marketing.
    RIM's business is about enabling communication, not communication itself. It's the how, not the what.
    08-18-11 08:52 AM
    RIM's business is about enabling communication, not communication itself. It's the how, not the what.
    Totally agree. They enable communication. Remind them that I use a lot of email. If they may a tablet it probably should do email.
    08-18-11 09:31 AM
    As a proud fanboy this ticks me off.
    OniMessiah likes this.
    08-18-11 12:41 PM
    Thinking about it on the other side of the isle - the business perspective - I actually see their actions making sense.

Look, if you will, at the available IM applications in PB App World - you will see two kinds of apps; IRC and Facebook.

Funny, considering that any sort of "real" IM service would probably get a download from every single PB owner, even if it wasn't the best - make it free, put in ads, and have it work, and it'll get downloaded; doesn't even have to work well and be pretty, as other popular downloads have shown.

So, why would RIM do this - cause they don't have their own app out yet.

I mean, come on - if you let a great app through first, with the functionality that you planned for, everyone is just going to use that app and ignore yours. Alright, maybe not everyone, but more people will than those who just get invested in yours FIRST.

Their app probably won't support IRC, and their Facebook app already has chat functionality, so their currently available IM apps make sense.

As much as it is a **** move, it makes sense from a business standpoint. I'd honestly expect them to release something soon, then their IM+ will follow - based on their attempts at stalling, maybe really soon? Next week is in line with their updates, and they asked for 5-10 days 2 weeks ago - whats 1 more week of stalling?

At least, that is what makes business sense to me - kinda heartless though.
    I have actually had these same thoughts which is why they are holding back a lot from developers, NDK - bluetooth support etc. Its because they want "dibs" on a lot of the obvious cool apps.

Hopefully that means OS 2.0 will have a lot of obviously cool apps. - Like maybe using the BB phone as a bluetooth keyboard?

Instant messaging that doesn't require IM+?
    They seem to be treating IM+ in a "special" way, meaning they want to keep people on BBM , or provide an integrated app themselves? Now if they could just hurry up....
    08-18-11 12:44 PM
    I have actually had these same thoughts which is why they are holding back a lot from developers, NDK - bluetooth support etc. Its because they want "dibs" on a lot of the obvious cool apps.

Hopefully that means OS 2.0 will have a lot of obviously cool apps. - Like maybe using the BB phone as a bluetooth keyboard?

Instant messaging that doesn't require IM+?
    They seem to be treating IM+ in a "special" way, meaning they want to keep people on BBM , or provide an integrated app themselves? Now if they could just hurry up....
    The problem is they've, in essence, told developers to move on. Games, media and misc. crapps are about all they have. Not enough for the demographic they've SAID that this tablet is focused on, the "enterprise". By the time they get their chit together, developers will have moved on. They will remember this issue and hesitate at best to expend time/resources for the playbook. They are in the game to make money just like RIM, but are being hog-tied or completely locked out because RIM, by controlling the availability of apps that will/do compete with them, is preventing them from getting into the game early. By doing so it severely limits their income possibility.

No, RIM (meaning the co-CEOs that micromanage everything) have shot themselves in the foot. In a race (to market, for example) that means the best they can expect is to limp in behind the leaders. If they manage to finish at all.
    adrenaline_x likes this.
    08-18-11 01:20 PM
    Is anyone else starting to worry that the fate of the Playbook and RIM itself is not as stable as we had all hoped??

I mean seriously... Lotsa people on here say they love their PB but I think majority are quite disappointed with the extremely slow rollouts of apps (not even 3rd party ones, the native ones that should've come with the device!) and lack of response.. FKAH:LGIHAEOPFUIhaFPOiOFHPOhu
    Totally agree, its ****e. Sits here on my desk doing nowt. While the mocking ipad users here at work play around with great apps, watching movies through VLC player, emailing, etc etc

Hope they sort it fast!
    08-18-11 09:14 PM
    I think the incident with kik has caused RIM to overreact when it comes to these kinds of apps, but it may be that RIM just wants to be first with the core apps. They obviously allowed IM+ on the BB platform because BBM is already established and didn't RIM approve one of their other PB apps? They should just save a lot of developers time and just come out and say that.
    08-18-11 10:29 PM
    The premise that RIM is purposefully delaying developers to put out their own stuff borders on the absurd.

I hope RIM is not that foolish.
    08-18-11 11:26 PM
    The premise that RIM is purposefully delaying developers to put out their own stuff borders on the absurd.

I hope RIM is not that foolish.
    Yet it's the only theory that actually makes sense as to why this software has been delayed/postponned/heldup and the company has been given the run around over and over and over and over and over again. There is also evidence of RIM denying apps from other developers where thse apps would duplicate/mimic existing features of the Playbook. So the premise might be absurd but absurd is certainly apt when it comes to how RIM has been handling this particularly developer.
    08-19-11 12:57 AM
    I think some people are looking for a conspiracy when one doesn't really exist, the simplest explanation is the equally depressing one that the dept dealing with app approvals is either inefficient or incompetent and just as bad when it comes to communication.
    08-19-11 05:24 AM
    I think it is obvious that RIM is preparing to launch this BBM driven music service and this is the reason for this IM+ fiasco.

Not to sell SHAPE short because their App is used by millions of people but, come on RIM? Give me a break here. If you want a healthy App ecosystem, you have to have some competition.
    08-19-11 06:22 AM
    I think some people are looking for a conspiracy when one doesn't really exist, the simplest explanation is the equally depressing one that the dept dealing with app approvals is either inefficient or incompetent and just as bad when it comes to communication.

That would have been fixed long ago if that was the issue. Also, why is it that this is about the messaging apps (email, IM etc.)? Fart apps go through quick and in a hurry, along with anything that doesn't compete with something that RIM should have included on release or is trying to get in place now.

I wonder if the co-CEOs get together in the morning and talk over coffee about how they can get in the way and mess things up?
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-19-11 07:45 AM
    That would have been fixed long ago if that was the issue. Also, why is it that this is about the messaging apps (email, IM etc.)? Fart apps go through quick and in a hurry, along with anything that doesn't compete with something that RIM should have included on release or is trying to get in place now.

I wonder if the co-CEOs get together in the morning and talk over coffee about how they can get in the way and mess things up?
    As frustrating as it may be, RIM isn't the first or only company to restrict functionality. IE browser was all about locking people into MS and speaking of Microsoft why can't you read and write to an OS X or Linux partition? Apple with iTunes and have also rejected apps. But at least they told them flat out.

Call it Lock-In or whatever but all I want is to easily send messages. I'm not happy with the Android player as it is slow and the web versions are crap.

Arrrggggg!
    08-19-11 08:13 AM
    I think it is obvious that RIM is preparing to launch this BBM driven music service and this is the reason for this IM+ fiasco.

Not to sell SHAPE short because their App is used by millions of people but, come on RIM? Give me a break here. If you want a healthy App ecosystem, you have to have some competition.
    They want the advantage of being there first and being entrenched before they open it up to competition. We're talking about the two main strengths that RIM has left (email and BBM) so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they are going to protect them.
    08-19-11 08:35 AM
    As frustrating as it may be, RIM isn't the first or only company to restrict functionality. IE browser was all about locking people into MS and speaking of Microsoft why can't you read and write to an OS X or Linux partition? Apple with iTunes and have also rejected apps. But at least they told them flat out.

Call it Lock-In or whatever but all I want is to easily send messages. I'm not happy with the Android player as it is slow and the web versions are crap.

Arrrggggg!
    Yep and look what happened. The EU and US both sued MS for anti-competitive practices and made them "unbundle" IE from the OS. So maybe this needs to be brought to someones attention in the Justice Department? Premature for that, but somehow some pressure needs to be applied.
    08-19-11 08:44 AM
    And to think we were stupid enough to believe a VP from RIM on this.

Tim
    08-19-11 06:52 PM
    Assuming that I do suspend my disbelief for a minute and pretend that RIM is purposely shooting themselves in the foot by blocking app development... okay...

Surely this doesn't make sense to anyone, does it?
    08-19-11 07:03 PM
    And to think we were stupid enough to believe a VP from RIM on this.

Tim
    Inaccuracy and double talk is a requirement to be in upper management at RIM.
    08-19-11 08:29 PM
    Assuming that I do suspend my disbelief for a minute and pretend that RIM is purposely shooting themselves in the foot by blocking app development... okay...

Surely this doesn't make sense to anyone, does it?
    It surely doesn't make any sense to anyone that has any sense. But arrogance has a tendency to put blinders on people. It's happened time and again over the years. With Palm, Nokia, others. H3LL it's happened time and again in business and not just the phone hardware/software business.

I'm not even arguing whether holding things up for awhile so they can get their own email and IM clients released is a bad thing (business wise, not consumer wise). But they are shooting themselves in the foot. They need these independent developers for the Playbook to be successful. Proof in point, look how long it's taken them and still not have the Playbook email and messaging clients available. And they've developed and had the native SDK all along!!

They court the devs but then say, um well, no that appears to be better/before ours so we can't approve that....yet. The apps in question (email and messaging) are critical to making this a truly "enterprise ready" device. Those apps are highly desired and will bring top $. Since they've been shutout of the big money, do you think they want to expend the resources on development just for the .99-2.99 apps?
    Last edited by dkingsf; 08-23-11 at 03:01 PM.
    08-23-11 02:53 PM
    here's what I don't understand (re: withholding approval on certain apps until the native apps are released): what does RIM get out of it, either way? It's not like they are going to charge customers for using the native email/PIM, or BBM apps...so what difference does it make if a 3rd party app comes out first?
    08-23-11 04:50 PM
    here's what I don't understand (re: withholding approval on certain apps until the native apps are released): what does RIM get out of it, either way? It's not like they are going to charge customers for using the native email/PIM, or BBM apps...so what difference does it make if a 3rd party app comes out first?
    I have asked the same question. There has to be something else behind their "censorship" of certain apps but I certainly can't figure it out. But one programmer basically got a letter to that effect - it is similar to what we offer - so no go!
    08-23-11 05:58 PM
    why is this not on the front page of Crackberry ???
    08-23-11 06:16 PM
    Embarassment and an acknowledgement that they are taking too long.
    08-23-11 06:58 PM
101 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD