If it is only a month or so until the official Android player is available, perhaps it is best to wait instead of installing the beta.
    On the other hand, RIM is always behind schedule

http://crackberry.com/android-app-pl...laybook-leaked

RIM responded to the post, saying:

“An older version of the Android App Player beta software for the BlackBerry PlayBook was inadvertently posted and has since been removed. We recommend that users refrain from downloading and installing this software since it is outdated and non-functional in many respects. The official beta release of the Android App Player for the BlackBerry PlayBook is on track for release later this summer.”

This is kind'a funny.
    Apparently RIM knew the beta was out in Internet. Who posted it?
    It makes me think this is a marketing ploy.
    Last edited by mandony; 07-22-11 at 03:23 PM.
    07-22-11 02:50 PM
    If you want something to play around with, install it now.

If you want to actually use android apps, wait until it is released.
    07-22-11 02:52 PM
    I'm waiting. What's another month or two or three...I don't want to deal with any issues the beta might cause.
    07-22-11 02:55 PM
    I think I read Angry Birds doesn't work so I can wait for the official update.
    07-22-11 03:02 PM
    Depends what you want to do with it, I am just tinkering around because I enjoy it.

I figured out how to side load books into the kindle app, not because i have a bunch of books that I want to read but because I wanted to figure out how to side load books when normally it will not allow you to.

I don't think the beta is going to cause any issue, if anything does starts messing up all you need to do is a complete re-install of the PB OS and you are good to go.
    07-22-11 03:02 PM
    I'm gonna wait too. Does side-loading an unofficial app pose any security or warranty risk? I kind'a like having one neck to grab (RIM's) if something goes beserk on my PB. If I go grab Android stuff, and it causes a problem, RIM may be able to disavow their obligation to help?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 04:00 PM
    I feel it will be worth the wait. Yes, Android App support is one of the most awaited upgrades for PlayBook; but I would hold off till an officially published version is out. Hopefully, RIM does that soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 04:25 PM
    If it is only a month or so until the official Android player is available, perhaps it is best to wait instead of installing the beta.
    On the other hand, RIM is always behind schedule

BlackBerry PlayBook Android app player leaked - Application News - Know Your Mobile

RIM responded the IntoMobile's post, saying:

An older version of the Android App Player beta software for the BlackBerry PlayBook was inadvertently posted and has since been removed. We recommend that users refrain from downloading and installing this software since it is outdated and non-functional in many respects. The official beta release of the Android App Player for the BlackBerry PlayBook is on track for release later this summer.

This is kind'a funny.
    Apparently RIM knew the beta was out in Internet. Who posted it?
    It makes me think this is a marketing ploy.

not to accurate as far as emails concerned, pop email works fine. But its just a basic android platform connected a BB vNIC
    07-22-11 04:36 PM
    *buzz* The correct answer is - it depends on if there is a particular android app available that you can't live without. If you're even asking the question, it means you can probably wait and probably should, because this sideloading just doesn't seem worth the trouble. I'm just happy to have just one more thing to look forward to.
    07-22-11 04:40 PM
    I'm going to wait since I'm in no rush for Android apps and since I have a flash version of Angry Birds to hold me over. :P

If you are going to try the leaked version, I'd strongly recommend doing a full backup before installing. This way, you can always debrick/restore if you run into any major problems.
    07-22-11 04:44 PM
    With RIM's track record on being late on promised dates and them not stipulating what year "at the end of the summer"......2018.....

Sorry for the sarcasm, anyway if you can wait then wait, but if you like to fiddle around with it, try it out and play with some of the apps (Kindle app is great for me) then make a full backup and install it - it is fun

AR
    07-22-11 04:51 PM
    it will be an official BETA release. so not the big kahuna.
    this android thing will come maybe after native email etc, i.e after radio version/3g launch, and then we don't know what apps we are getting. does anyone have any idea what android application for playbooK?
    07-22-11 09:47 PM
    you can use the so-called "boring" gauge to decide... i.e. if you are already "bored" with your present playbook status, try the "leaked" or unofficial Android player... it will atleast keep your hope spirit high... but if you're not, then wait for the official Android player by RIM...
    07-23-11 01:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD